• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DanielPicktonAllen

Reaction score
Hello, I’ve been thinking about asking a question. I’m not sure if it’s one that’s been asked, or even if it’s one you’d want to answer. One of the reasons I like your brand is it’s nice to support a smaller business that is committed to making clothes properly and in Britain. I was wondering, are there any other small/less well known companies that you admire?

Would be interested in your opinions and insider perspective to the clothes brand business.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello, I’ve been thinking about asking a question. I’m not sure if it’s one that’s been asked, or even if it’s one you’d want to answer. One of the reasons I like your brand is it’s nice to support a smaller business that is committed to making clothes properly and in Britain. I was wondering, are there any other small/less well known companies that you admire?

Would be interested in your opinions and insider perspective to the clothes brand business.

I must admit I am wilfully unobservant of the work of other companies!

Probably am the worst person to ask.

I try my best to blot them from mind because it interferes with my own work and approach, and I never like to be led this way or that because of the work of others. Say I see a great cloth or a clever idea for a pocket on the jacket of another company ... do we try to remember it, try to forget it, incorporate it or reject it subconsciously so that we don't use it ourselves? We try to plot our own course, you see, and I try to look away as much as I can! It's quite unnatural and isn't easy or comfortable (read: is silly) to maintain.

I love clothing, of course ... but don't buy too much myself (perhaps because I avoid shops as per the above).

I like the Tricker's brogues made in collaboration with The Old Curiosity Shop in London, Marks & Spencer long-johns, heavy-duty wool cottage socks, lots of the different necktie makers in Italy, and am pals with Charlie Borrow who makes awesomely hard-wearing bags around the corner from our workshop. Billingham bags are good, too, and are what I use to lug belongings around London every day of the week. Frank Leder is a fantastically imaginative designer from Germany with whom we shared a sales agent in Japan, and is incomprehensibly less well-known than a hundred lesser ones, and ... well, those are the ones which spring to mind. Not a natural subject for me, as daft and precious as it sounds.

chrischeng718

Reaction score
I must admit I don't have any photographs to hand besides the one shared at https://www.styleforum.net/threads/s-e-h-kelly.277070/post-10853281 a few days ago.

The cloth is the sail-cloth in nearly black and in forest green, the same as the two most recent trousers listed at https://www.sehkelly.com/?s=trousers+sail.

They're made, but we're waiting for some buckles to arrive so we can finish the belts (they have the multi-loop / buckle belt, which I'd forgotten about, so found ourselves short of hardware). Online within a few weeks, certainly, although ahead of them in the queue is the duster / stockman coat and the Styleforum edition of the balmacaan.
Thanks Paul! Please do keep me in the loop should you release the field coat as I’m afraid to miss it!
do start looking forward to get new and nice coat fir the winter

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Oh, I had a question, don’t know if it has been addressed. Do you plan on making the Chesterfield again?

For sure, yes. It is one of my favourites!

It had a good run last year, but with the Styleforum balmacaan and the trench in the Herdwick tweed, on top of our usual production of coats, there was no room for it. Next year, surely, and likewise the tielocken.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here's a few photographs of the new duster coat, which we've been working on, off and on, for the past six months.

duster-coat-cotton-staywax-olive-drab-4@2x.jpeg
duster-coat-cotton-staywax-breen-7@2x.jpeg
duster-coat-cotton-staywax-olive-drab-5@2x.jpeg
duster-coat-cotton-staywax-breen-3@2x.jpeg
duster-coat-cotton-staywax-olive-drab-2@2x.jpeg

It's a very crispy, somewhat paper-like cotton from Scotland, with a stay-wax treatment that performs much as a standard wax, but can be machine-washed without losing performance.

In other coat news, the special Styleforum-edition balmacaans are being dispatched this week to the pre-order folks. The physical undertaking of wrapping and packing a large number of coats on top of my usual cardboard-and-tissue-paper operations hadn't really occurred to me until ... this morning. Gulp.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It'll be a nice surprise on our doorsteps then

Yep!

Call me old-fashioned but I think there's something to be said for a surprise.

The coats have turned out better than hoped — and we had a very good idea of how they'd look, as the balmacaan is no stranger, especially with having made the barleycorn versions only last month — and I really hope the pre-order folks will be similarly pleased.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here from the US who has ordered from SEH Kelly? Curious about any fees/taxes being charged by the shipping company? I've ordered from Scotland several times (Aero Leather) and never paid anything extra. Really want the Bark Brown Donegal Balmacaan, but want to be prepared for the full cost.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here from the US who has ordered from SEH Kelly? Curious about any fees/taxes being charged by the shipping company? I've ordered from Scotland several times (Aero Leather) and never paid anything extra. Really want the Bark Brown Donegal Balmacaan, but want to be prepared for the full cost.

I’ve ordered 10 or so items from SEH Kelly. No extra charges ever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads