• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shunese

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in selling any of the following please message me.
crewneck-lambswool-tuck-brown-worn-1@2x.jpg

crewneck-lambswool-tuck-navy-worn-2.jpg

polo-shirt-geelong-lambswool-charcoal-grey-1.jpg

smock-silk-linen-poplin-lapis-blue-0s-2x-jpg.1374232

smock-linen-cambric-hadal-blue-2s-2x-jpg.1374242

1632610316177.png

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
There are some rarities there for sure.

The crewneck is coming back in a similar shade of blue next month, and we've been playing around with the design of the sleep shirt which should see it look quite similar to the old smock when it comes along next year.

Csus2

Reaction score
What size are you, shunese? I recently saw an S.E.H Kelly crewneck in a size small for sale on eBay. It was a rather bright purple, which may not interest you, however.

It seems pretty outside of your usual palette, Paul, if I am honest. I assume it was a japan-only production?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It was a little beyond our usual oeuvre, that one, yes ... although the colours in the photographs there look more saturated than I remember.

We've made quite a few different colours over the years for stores in Japan, though, indeed, of which that is undoubtedly one.

fleblebleb

Reaction score
Does the width across the seat vary with the thigh measurement or stay the same like the waist measurement, when comparing the slim, dress and field trousers in the same size?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Does the width across the seat vary with the thigh measurement or stay the same like the waist measurement, when comparing the slim, dress and field trousers in the same size?

It stays pretty much the same — all those styles are about the same in the seat.

fleblebleb

Reaction score
It stays pretty much the same — all those styles are about the same in the seat.

Okay, thanks! Is it reasonable to have the waist taken in one size, to have a bit more room in the thigh and across the seat, in the narrower cuts? I have a pair of proper moleskin trousers in size S that fit quite well, I'm very pleased with them - wear them quite a lot in the colder months. I'm pondering whether to buy the slim or dress trouser in size S too, or size up to M and have the waist taken in to 32".

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I think for the slim trousers, then yes, that's quite sensible.

I find the legs too slim in my natural size (in terms of style rather than fit: I don't wear slim legs) and the size up is much better.

I use the cinch at the back rather than taking them in, as you can be quite aggressive with it and gain (or more accurately lose) at least 5cm.

shunese

Reaction score
What size are you, shunese? I recently saw an S.E.H Kelly crewneck in a size small for sale on eBay. It was a rather bright purple, which may not interest you, however.

It seems pretty outside of your usual palette, Paul, if I am honest. I assume it was a japan-only production?
thanks, looking for charcoal or another color!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The woollen version of the new field trousers (our re-working of the proper trousers and in due course to supplant their master) are now online.

field-trousers-motley-tweed-bister-brown-8s@2x.jpg
field-trousers-motley-tweed-bister-brown-14s@2x.jpg
field-trousers-shetland-flannel-dark-navy-8s@2x.jpg
field-trousers-shetland-flannel-dark-navy-9s@2x.jpg
field-trousers-motley-tweed-bister-brown-3s@2x.jpg
field-trousers-shetland-flannel-dark-navy-14s@2x.jpg

The cloth is what we call motley tweed, which is akin to the motley flannel from which we made the dress trousers last month, only more rough. I think of it as the "outdoors" or country version of the cloth, which is fitting as the field trousers are probably the most outdoors-like of our trousers. It is made with Shetland yarn, which is characteristically unruly and gnarly and fuzzy.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The field trousers (in all fabrics) look fantastic.

I wonder about the lack of belt loops - I am typically in-between sizes on trousers and always use a belt to fine-tune/keep up. As I understand it, the button system in the waist on the field trousers is binary - either buttoned or not, right? I worry that neither buttoned nor unbuttoned would give a good fit, given that it's a 2-inch difference between the two. Or are there more than 2 steps ?

Any way to get belt loops on the field trousers?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The field trousers (in all fabrics) look fantastic.

I wonder about the lack of belt loops - I am typically in-between sizes on trousers and always use a belt to fine-tune/keep up. As I understand it, the button system in the waist on the field trousers is binary - either buttoned or not, right? I worry that neither buttoned nor unbuttoned would give a good fit, given that it's a 2-inch difference between the two. Or are there more than 2 steps ?

Any way to get belt loops on the field trousers?

You could certainly have belt loops added by a tailor.

The idea is that the field trousers start off the perfect fit (the ideal idea) ... and then as they loosen up with wear, as trousers always tend, you employ the side-adjusters. You can use one or both of them. You can also relocate the buttons to fine-tune the additional tightness they provide.

They're cut higher than, say, a pair of jeans or chinos, which I always find means they stay up better by themselves, resting more on the hips, and so less requiring of a belt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads