• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
is the gansey or crewneck this fall? For the crewneck does storing a phone in the pocket drag drag the sweater down?

They're both coming back, yes.

The pockets don't cause the sweater to pull or drag, no. Especially not with a phone. It's a very heavy piece of knitwear. If you truly overloaded the pocket (with many very dense, weighty phones) then the pocket bag would start to stretch but even that shouldn't cause the body much problem.

Having said all that ... the crewneck doesn't have any pockets this year! We've decided to try without.

shunese

Reaction score

The pockets don't cause the sweater to pull or drag, no. Especially not with a phone. It's a very heavy piece of knitwear. If you truly overloaded the pocket (with many very dense, weighty phones) then the pocket bag would start to stretch but even that shouldn't cause the body much problem.

Having said all that ... the crewneck doesn't have any pockets this year! We've decided to try without.
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

S1722

Reaction score
Really impressed with the crewneck I bought last year. However, do remember that you will be a good deal wider when wearing it: the trick is not to snag it on the dead bolt of the very first door you walk through after putting it on for the first time. This can be mitigated, by not being a clumsy oaf like me...

If pockets do return, I wonder if it would be worth including some sort of retaining thread to hold them towards the front of the jumper - as I found they can gravitate towards the sides, creating bulk. Though presumably that could result in pulling / dragging of the type Shunese is keen to avoid?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Really impressed with the crewneck I bought last year. However, do remember that you will be a good deal wider when wearing it: the trick is not to snag it on the dead bolt of the very first door you walk through after putting it on for the first time. This can be mitigated, by not being a clumsy oaf like me...

Good to know!

If you do ever snag your crewneck and pull some yarn loose, rest assured that it is never irreversible. Seek out the nearest person handy with knitting needles and they should be able to make it like new.

Having never myself knitted, nor ever having closely witnessed such handiwork, it seems to be a type of magic, but for those who can do it, I'm told it's as easy as pie.

shunese

Reaction score

If pockets do return, I wonder if it would be worth including some sort of retaining thread to hold them towards the front of the jumper - as I found they can gravitate towards the sides, creating bulk. Though presumably that could result in pulling / dragging of the type Shunese is keen to avoid?
Do you use the picketoc often? Or find it useful?

RozenKristal

Reaction score

I'm not crazy to have 3 of them right? Different colors?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just a reminder ...

field-coat-toile-1s@2x.jpeg

We've just finished making the first batch of field coats for the first time in a few years.

We have them in heavy cotton sail-cloth — which this time around is not only heavy in weight but also in brushed finish — in black and dark green.

And the belt, which is unadorned in the photo above, has not one but three brass buckles and loops, so it may be adjusted this way and that for the perfect length.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here are the non-woollen ones, anyway!

field-trousers-cotton-black-2@2x.jpeg

field-trousers-cotton-green-9@2x.jpg
field-trousers-cotton-green-3@2x.jpeg
field-trousers-cotton-green-14@2x.jpeg
field-trousers-cotton-black-6@2x.jpeg
field-trousers-cotton-black-4@2x.jpeg
field-trousers-cotton-black-3@2x.jpeg

The sail-cloth is the same cotton we have used in previous years for the parka major, parts of the donkey jacket, and the flight jacket.

This time, though, it has a considerably more brushed surface, which gives it that somewhat worn and world-weary look, not to mention very high knee-stroking potency.

And these are two different colours here: a nearly black and (nearly black) dark green.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads