• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And when I say "has gone wrong once" — it was a typo, which led to a batch of horrendously coloured crewnecks, rather than a misplaced design decision.
Can we please see the horrendous crewnecks? What color did they end up? I’m trying to imagine some lime green SEH K knitwear.

Csus2

Reaction score
About as good a reason to plan a heist of the SEH Kelly workshop as any, I suppose

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You don’t keep samples of your historical garments but you hold keepsakes of your screwups?

It's complicated.

But hey — the chest is an ever-present reminder to check, double-check, and triple-check the names of yarns (don't confuse your "vole" with your "mole" or your "elk" with your "coyote") when sending emails to the knitwear maker.

• Haha
Reactions: mrf

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bring on the sprouted grain colours!
I know, I know…

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
New dawn breaks at the workshop this morning — we've not only put some new shirts online, with a revamped version of the Kelly collar (our house trademark) ... but they're modelled by a brand new mannequin / bust / dummy.

He differs most notably from his forebearer in that he has shoulders, so he fills out the shirt a little better. Chunkier; less lithe and eel-like.

shirt-kelly-collar-wool-cord-cadet-blue-7s@2x.jpg
shirt-kelly-collar-wool-cord-cadet-blue-2s@2x.jpg
shirt-kelly-collar-wool-cord-lead-grey-4s@2x.jpg
shirt-kelly-collar-wool-cord-lead-grey-5s@2x.jpg
shirt-kelly-collar-wool-cord-lead-grey-9s@2x.jpg
shirt-kelly-collar-wool-cord-cadet-blue-3s@2x.jpg

The cloth here, by the way, is phenomenal. Makes for a very firm, thick, crisp shirt.

It's a worsted-spun Bedford cord: the first time we've used such a quality (though having previously used woollen Bedford cord and cotton Bedford cord and of course regular old corduroy cord). A proper winter shirt, for sure, and I've already got my eye on using the same material for jackets next winter.

ZonardCity

Reaction score
Paul, do you have an estimation of how much the balmacaan would cost once you add custom taxes to ship to France ? I am startingto unlock a budget but this uncertainty is frustrating.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Paul, do you have an estimation of how much the balmacaan would cost once you add custom taxes to ship to France ? I am startingto unlock a budget but this uncertainty is frustrating.

The current one is £520 ex-VAT (with UK sales tax taken out, I mean, which is what our site does by default) ...

So if you were billed to the fullest extent of the law — i.e. French sales tax of 20% — then you'd be looking at £624.

Sometimes, there's a handling fee, too, of around £20, depending on the country / shipper / what the local courier had for breakfast.

The uncertainty is indeed frustrating. It's hardly the best environment in which to run a business.

Anecdotally, not many of our customers in France seem to be being charged the sales tax, and sometimes not even the handling fee. We ship with Royal Mail or Parcelforce most of the time to France now, and in our experience, they're less officious than DHL, UPS, and the like.

And of course, we're happy to ship with whichever company the customer prefers: anything we can do to help, the better for all concerned.

Last edited:

Mister GeeGollyGosh

Reaction score
I am a big fan of wool outerwear in general, but a big thing that puts me off is when wool coats are lined with cotton or synthetic liners; I don't want cotton subtracting from the utility of my wool. When I saw that the slate blue pea coat was lined with more wool, I fell in love. I am about 6 foot tall with a 43-inch chest and strong taper down to my waist. Should I be looking at the large or XL?

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a big fan of wool outerwear in general, but a big thing that puts me off is when wool coats are lined with cotton or synthetic liners; I don't want cotton subtracting from the utility of my wool. When I saw that the slate blue pea coat was lined with more wool, I fell in love. I am about 6 foot tall with a 43-inch chest and strong taper down to my waist. Should I be looking at the large or XL?

I’m 6’2” and typically wear a 43L. This is me in an XL. The second picture was straight from the box when it was delivered.
696495D5-98A6-4CF1-B7C5-DF51E6CC180C.jpeg
01AF7857-26AA-4CD1-9395-025F16247840.jpeg

Mister GeeGollyGosh

Reaction score
I’m 6’2” and typically wear a 43L. This is me in an XL. The second picture was straight from the box when it was delivered.
Looks good. Just out of curiosity, could you fit that hat you are wearing in the first picture in one of the patch pockets without awkward bulging?

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Just out of curiosity, could you fit that hat you are wearing in the first picture in one of the patch pockets without awkward bulging?

I definitely use those pockets for hats and gloves and it’s a non-issue. They are functional without being oversized.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads