• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The melton tobacco is an incredible cloth and scandalously underused, it is true.

I am sure either the peacoat or another coat will make use of it again next year (but not this year). We do have a couple of cloths from the same mill which are the same in spirit, too, including a heavy barathea which we've used for the field shirt and dress trousers. It comes in a tobacco-adjacent colour which, while quite different to the melton, is similarly rich in colour and great in texture.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers! It is red-ish in some lights, very grey in others ... a mystery colour.
Limits of screens and all that, but one of the things I love about wool is the depth and variegation in shade that it's capable of.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Limits of screens and all that, but one of the things I love about wool is the depth and variegation in shade that it's capable of.

Indeed. I never tire of looking at some of these cloths, even after many years of use.

It is however maddening when taking and editing photographs, as I can never trust my eye, especially in shades like the tobacco, where when looked at closely is a deceptively uniform shade (there are three or four main shades at work in the yarn) ... and then on top of that, the light, and the computer screen ...

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed. I never tire of looking at some of these cloths, even after many years of use.

It is however maddening when taking and editing photographs, as I can never trust my eye, especially in shades like the tobacco, where when looked at closely is a deceptively uniform shade (there are three or four main shades at work in the yarn) ... and then on top of that, the light, and the computer screen ...
Do you keep one version of each garment you make for the archives?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Alas no!

Sara always says we should (have done) ... but in the sturm and drang of running the business we never got around to it.

I very much not a natural archivist, either.

I'd sooner chop up the archive to try to make improvements the next time we make a piece, rather than having them hanging around for memory / posterity.

10dence

Reaction score
It's almost that time of the year again.

Have you picked out what you will be using for the gansey?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's almost that time of the year again.

Have you picked out what you will be using for the gansey?

It is, isn't it?

The calm before the storm!

The gansey will come back in dark navy (darker than last year, but lighter and more textured than the year before, when it was almost plain dark navy) AND in a dark biscuit colour. We haven't made any changes to it apart from lengthening the (or was it shortening) sleeves to fine-tune the fit.

10dence

Reaction score
The biscuit is the natural culmination of all the different grain colours you've had lately then. I feel like you can already put me down for one large biscuit.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The biscuit is the natural culmination of all the different grain colours you've had lately then. I feel like you can already put me down for one large biscuit.

I'll put you down for one large biscuit right this second.

Lots of grain colours about the place, it is true, with wheat and oatmeal and all the rest of it — a veritable granola of options.

RozenKristal

Reaction score
is there any way for us to see the wools beforehand? Especially the dark biscuit one :D

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
An eminently reasonable request.

No.

We don't make samples (aside from the monochromatic "fit samples") in knitwear anymore, so these days we pick the colours of yarn and away the knitters go. We're as blind as you until the delivery.

This has only gone wrong once.

RozenKristal

Reaction score
An eminently reasonable request.

No.

We don't make samples (aside from the monochromatic "fit samples") in knitwear anymore, so these days we pick the colours of yarn and away the knitters go. We're as blind as you until the delivery.

This has only gone wrong once.
That is a good odd. Please sign me up for a biscuit in Small/Med

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads