• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Paul, do you have any plans for the SB3 this year? like the fabric choices and colors? Also, does anyone here has the tielocken with fit pics? I would love to see more fit pics from users here :D

No sir — the SB3 is taking the rest of the year off. I think the next time we make it will be the spring again, since I recently had a meeting with a chap who makes the tropical worsted, and he had a few new colours up his sleeves.

The SB3 is nice in soft lambswool, though, and not bad in corduroy, so it's a shame it won't return this year. But we generally find coats are very popular in the winter, and shorter woollen jackets — besides a few ardent supporters! — aren't quite so well received.

I don't have any photographs of the tielocken myself, but of all our coats and jackets, I deem it among the most easy to wear and flexible in terms of the receiving physique. And we're currently making a few for some stores in Japan, so perhaps in a few months there will be a few more photographs to see online.

booroo

Reaction score
Paul, I know I'm frightfully late to the party here but what are my chances of securing a green Balmacaan in a size S? Will there be any "extra" pieces made up over-and-above those that have been pre-ordered?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Paul, I know I'm frightfully late to the party here but what are my chances of securing a green Balmacaan in a size S? Will there be any "extra" pieces made up over-and-above those that have been pre-ordered?

You might just be in luck, sir!

Drop me a line via DM, if you like, and we'll try to work something out.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Paul,

I was wondering if this iteration of the work jacket in the cedar colorway is set to make a comeback this fall/winter?

View attachment 1642587

Afraid not, no. We don't have plans to make the work jacket again this year.

However, for what it's worth, we are currently making a heavy corduroy version of the trucker jacket (e.g. https://www.sehkelly.com/trucker-jacket-in-bedford-cord-in-marine-blue/) — which in several ways shares similarities with the work jacket.

They should be made by this time next month, I should think, in dark green and a brown not dissimilar to the cedar of that work jacket.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You might just be in luck, sir!

Drop me a line via DM, if you like, and we'll try to work something out.

On the subject of the balmacaan in general, by the way, we've been told by the weavers in Ireland that the cloth will be ready by the end of August, which is later than anticipated (turns out the place that spins the yarn is taking three weeks of holiday this year rather than two).

We'll still be on track for completion of the coats in September, though.

And we're certainly itching to go. The pattern is now complete, tweaked to within an inch of its life, and hanging besides a freshly pressed and to my eyes perfect sample, in readiness for arrival of the tweed.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of the balmacaan in general, by the way, we've been told by the weavers in Ireland that the cloth will be ready by the end of August, which is later than anticipated (turns out the place that spins the yarn is taking three weeks of holiday this year rather than two).

We'll still be on track for completion of the coats in September, though.

And we're certainly itching to go. The pattern is now complete, tweaked to within an inch of its life, and hanging besides a freshly pressed and to my eyes perfect sample, in readiness for arrival of the tweed.
Any updates to the pattern besides the added length and the extra tab enclosure on the reverse pleat/vent?

very excited to see the cloth in all its glory.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any updates to the pattern besides the added length and the extra tab enclosure on the reverse pleat/vent?

very excited to see the cloth in all its glory.

No — no change apart from ...

Up until now, the access-point to the through-pocket from the inside of the coat has been covered with a flap.

It was a jetted pocket covered with a flap, is what I mean (sorry, I am struggling to write coherently in this heat). The flap was particularly large, as it a) had to span quite a wide opening, and b) had to be commensurately deep because it was so wide.

We have now changed this to a "storm welt" pocket opening, like you sometimes see on the outside of technical jackets.

The fingers have to go up and under and "through" the storm-welt to access the pocket — serving exactly the same function as the original pocket flaps, but without the flaps / flapping / flappiness. It is slightly tidier and more streamlined design, I think. Plus, the flaps had a tendency over time to go inside the pocket, and thus not serve their function (of closing the mouth of the pocket).

ZonardCity

Reaction score
While we are on the subject of the balmacaan, I oculdn't figure out if he would be back in the same brown colour as last year ? I guess I am confused with the Styleforum "exclusive" coats that have been offered here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
While we are on the subject of the balmacaan, I oculdn't figure out if he would be back in the same brown colour as last year ? I guess I am confused with the Styleforum "exclusive" coats that have been offered here.

As well as the two colourways of the (longer, with belt, herringbone) Styleforum version, we're making the standard version (albeit also slightly longer than last year) in dark brown and charcoal. The cloth of these will be the same barleycorn as on the site currently, and the dark brown is just that: very much a darker version of the walnut on the site now.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any hints as to when the donkey jacket might make a return?

2022 at the earliest, I'm afraid!

We do have one or two of the old cotton ones left in stock, and one of the most recent black woollen ones in size M (https://www.sehkelly.com/donkey-jacket-in-melton-and-sail-cloth-in-black/).

It's among my favourite jackets, but we have a fair alternatives that fit a similar sort of bill these days ... and thus there's only room on the website for the donkey jacket every couple of years at best.

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here are some photographs of the new peacoat, or rather the new colour of the peacoat.

It is officially "slate blue" but has the funny habit of looking different in different lights (these were taken outside).

pea-stand-2-copy-i@2x.jpg
pea-stand-1-copy-2@2x.jpg
pea-stand-5-copy@2x.jpg
pea-stand-4-copy@2x.jpg
pea-stand-3-copy@2x.jpg

We have a full complement of them now, in addition to the dark navy, after the initial first batch made last month -- just in time for the drought / flood / hurricane / blizzard [delete as applicable] to come.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some photographs of the new peacoat, or rather the new colour of the peacoat.

It is officially "slate blue" but has the funny habit of looking different in different lights (these were taken outside).
Really beautiful colour, just enough green in the blue.

ZonardCity

Reaction score
Is there any chance to see the Tobacco coloured Peacoat make a comeback one day ? To me it was the perfect peacoat and one of your masterpieces !

That being said, this one also looks amazing in the depth of its colour.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads