• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The book is now closed on the pre-orders.

We spoke with the mill this morning, and production of the cloth will begin right away (after the yarn has been spun, that is). And then we hope to have cloth here in London by late summer, with completion of the coats in September.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
How many pre-orders were put in? Does it incentivize towards similar projects in the future? I like the idea of this becoming a regular occurance, might open up odder and more daring cloth-choices.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Pre-orders were about half the total number of balmacaans we'd expect to sell in a given season.

It's been great fun so far.

We're mercifully not incentivised by sales -- though of course if this fell flat on its face, we'd think twice! -- but it is certainly the type of thing we'd like to try again one day. (But first let's see this project through!)

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
In non-balmacaan news ...

Here are some new photographs of the flight jacket — made at the start of the year in the weatherproof cotton sail-cloth — in its "on the body" state, both with and without its collar.

flight-jacket-cotton-sail-cloth-umber-worn-2s@2x.jpg
flight-jacket-cotton-sail-cloth-umber-worn-5s@2x.jpg
flight-jacket-cotton-sail-cloth-umber-worn-4s@2x.jpg
flight-jacket-cotton-sail-cloth-umber-worn-3s@2x.jpg
flight-jacket-cotton-sail-cloth-umber-worn-1s@2x.jpg

gwilliams84

Reaction score
In more balmacaan news (sorry, Paul), I'm selling my charcoal hopsack tweed balmacaan in size XS. Apologies if that's a faux pas to post a sale on this thread (if so, I'll remove it straight away), but wanted to offer this group first dibs.

It's in perfect condition, only worn 3 times and never in any rain. Other than that, it's been stored in a smoke-free home on a thick hanger. It's a wonderfully thick tweed, but with an open weave so it never feels too heavy or stuffy. I don't think I need to say anymore about this balmacaan to this group.

I'm selling it because it's not getting enough use where I live (Sydney). Selling for US$450 (it retailed for approximately US$750 without the VAT). Will post anywhere - postage will be approximately US$25 (sorry, Australia Post is notoriously expensive).

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1410928-d8fbdddc462a9075829a05aed11d33b0.jpg
    1410928-d8fbdddc462a9075829a05aed11d33b0.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 77
  • balmacaan-hopsack-tweed-grey-1_1200x800.jpg
    balmacaan-hopsack-tweed-grey-1_1200x800.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 80
  • balmacaan-hopsack-tweed-grey-3_1024x683.jpg
    balmacaan-hopsack-tweed-grey-3_1024x683.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 133
  • balmacaan-hopsack-tweed-grey-4_1024x683.jpg
    balmacaan-hopsack-tweed-grey-4_1024x683.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 135

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Am I right that that particular run of balmacaans came out slimmer than the norm?

The sleeves are slightly more narrow, and I think it is smaller, yes ... but I can't say with absolute certainty.

Best to check measurements (which I don't have to hand anymore, sorry).

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In more balmacaan news (sorry, Paul), I'm selling my charcoal hopsack tweed balmacaan in size XS. Apologies if that's a faux pas to post a sale on this thread (if so, I'll remove it straight away), but wanted to offer this group first dibs.

It's in perfect condition, only worn 3 times and never in any rain. Other than that, it's been stored in a smoke-free home on a thick hanger. It's a wonderfully thick tweed, but with an open weave so it never feels too heavy or stuffy. I don't think I need to say anymore about this balmacaan to this group.

I'm selling it because it's not getting enough use where I live (Sydney). Selling for US$450 (it retailed for approximately US$750 without the VAT). Will post anywhere - postage will be approximately US$25 (sorry, Australia Post is notoriously expensive).

Thanks.
Ahem... whoever snagged this, on the off-chance it doesn’t end up working for you, please do shoot me a message.

gwilliams84

Reaction score

Thanks.
SOLD

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That's a nice cloth, and we've not encountered much quite like it in the intervening years. If I remember rightly, it had a very slight blue tinge which might make it tricker than some materials to pair with non-matching trousers.

Apart from jeans — it'd be good with jeans. A cop-out, I know, but in truth that's what I'd be happiest wearing the jacket with.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will you be making the Parka Major in the cosmos ripstop this year?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Will you be making the Parka Major in the cosmos ripstop this year?

Nope — not this year. It is an idea but this time around we'll be making the parka major in the weatherproof sail-cloth again. One of the colours will be a very dark green, which we're having "dyed up" (I think that's the term) right now, and which we'll be using for the parka, one other coat, and some new trousers, in the autumn.

Noah Fleming

Reaction score
That's a nice cloth, and we've not encountered much quite like it in the intervening years. If I remember rightly, it had a very slight blue tinge which might make it tricker than some materials to pair with non-matching trousers.

Apart from jeans — it'd be good with jeans. A cop-out, I know, but in truth that's what I'd be happiest wearing the jacket with.
Thanks Paul, you're right; good memory! Perhaps it's time I finally invest in a nice pair of jeans.
By the way, the DB is stunning. Do you think this will be a one-off? Would you consider doing it in other fabrics?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads