• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
Hi Paul, one more question before I place the pre-order: if one should wish to slightly take in the coat at the waist, would it be relatively easy? I just noticed that compared to my other balmacaan, yours is some centimeters larger in the waist. I wouldn't think it should matter that much, but if it started to bother me, it'd be nice to know if it were an easy fix for a tailor :)

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Paul, one more question before I place the pre-order: if one should wish to slightly take in the coat at the waist, would it be relatively easy? I just noticed that compared to my other balmacaan, yours is some centimeters larger in the waist. I wouldn't think it should matter that much, but if it started to bother me, it'd be nice to know if it were an easy fix for a tailor :)

It might be tricky, truth be told, because the body of our balmacaan is made quite differently (and more difficultly) to most coats of this ilk.

The exterior has a side body, and the interior facing has all sorts of fairly complicated goings-on because of the two-way pockets.

A good tailor could figure it out and surely do a good job, but it's not a "run of the mill" alteration, that's for sure.

(An easier option would be to add side-adjusters.)

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We were fortunate today to convince a simple but well-meaning local man to wear the balmacaan (the sample of) both with and without belt.

balmacaan-styleforum-herringbone-worn-3s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-styleforum-herringbone-worn-9s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-styleforum-herringbone-worn-1s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-styleforum-herringbone-worn-5s@2x.jpg

There's a handful more at https://sehkel.ly/bal/, and more to come, bit by bit, over the weekend.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks great. I almost wish that was the color being made

moimael

Reaction score

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That looks great. I almost wish that was the color being made

Cheers!

It is a nice cloth, but at the same time a "there's nothing wrong with it" cloth, in being not particularly exciting or different. The Donegal cloth will be chunkier, more textured — both to the eye and to the touch — and altogether a more convincing proposition for an overcoat.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That looks crazy! Will this cloth be made for the sale or that is just the one? That is a perfect charcoal to me.

Nope, this is a cloth we had to hand at the time, the closest we could muster to the Donegal tweed.

The cloth for production is a heavier, thicker, chunkier herringbone, one dark green with black (imagine the above but darker and greener) and the other light grey with mid-grey (imagine the above but a few shades lighter and with more contrast).

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
In non-balmacaan news, we've just put online this summer's version of the polo shirt ...

... which is much the same as previous years, but with a tweak here and there to the collar and the length of sleeves (they're longer).

polo-shirt-cotton-tuck-malt-8s@2x.jpg
polo-shirt-cotton-tuck-malt-6s@2x.jpg
polo-shirt-cotton-tuck-malt-7s@2x.jpg
polo-shirt-cotton-tuck-admiral-3s@2x.jpg
polo-shirt-cotton-tuck-admiral-2s@2x.jpg
polo-shirt-cotton-tuck-admiral-7s@2x.jpg

For some reason it looks better than in previous years with the collar open. Not sure why. Just sits nice. We'll try to bottle that magic for future!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads