• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We made a belt for the balmacaan mock-up over the weekend.

By some fortune, it runs at just the right position — with about an inch clearance above the pockets, and in line with the inverted pleat at the back.

bal-mockup-v2-3@2x.jpg

bal-mockup-v2-1s@2x.jpg

bal-mockup-v2-4@2x.jpg

Next we plan to photograph the coat on a person (yours truly, most likely) later in the week.

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The cloth here is ... well, it's nice enough.

It's really not a patch on the Donegal tweed though. The weight, the texture, the colour — it'll really come alive.

I'm quite bombastically excited at the point. Ahem.

We'll be giving the all-clear for weaving to begin once the pre-order period closes on Friday morning.

Spideysense

Reaction score
Hi Paul,

I have a question on sleeves: how much extra fabric does the balmacaan tend to have, if one needs longer sleeves? Can the sleeves on the tielocken also be extended?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Paul,

I have a question on sleeves: how much extra fabric does the balmacaan tend to have, if one needs longer sleeves? Can the sleeves on the tielocken also be extended?

On the balmacaan, there's a hem at the sleeve of, at best, one inch. I think we've done the alteration once before and anything more than half an inch sees the lining come dangerously close to the end of the sleeve.

You could potentially be more creative with the tielocken, since it has the cuff panel. Thus there's the prospect of making the cuff longer to gain length on the sleeve as a whole (although a longer cuff might look odd). On the actual sleeve, though, there's little if anything to gain: it's just a standard seam joining it onto the cuff.

pyunghwa

Reaction score
Hello Paul,

I wanted to place a pre-order for the balmacaans, but I'm based in Canada and am often slapped with huge duties if items are shipped with FedEx or DHL. Is there any way to ship via your local post? I don't mind if the wait is longer.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Paul,

I wanted to place a pre-order for the balmacaans, but I'm based in Canada and am often slapped with huge duties if items are shipped with FedEx or DHL. Is there any way to ship via your local post? I don't mind if the wait is longer.
You can also clear your own brokerage, then it’s simply a matter of the taxes and duty you would have had to pay anyway. Most companies use couriers because they’ll do pickups and offer contracts to amortize the cost over time/packages sent out.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello Paul,

No problem!

We are always happy to ship by whichever means best suits the customer.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
No problem!

We are always happy to ship by whichever means best suits the customer.

... though there would likely be an additional charge as perversely the quickest and best tracked service (our default one with FedEx) is also the cheapest by about £20.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads