• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You can bent it backward and button it so it is hidden away. At least that what mine has for last year version. The 2019 flap was a separated piece I believe

That's right.

And you can button it back, indeed. When you do so with the woollen versions of the coat, because the cloth itself tends to be quite busy and camouflages details (for better or worse) the fold (of the tab going back on itself) is barely visible.

RozenKristal

Reaction score
Yes, I saw the corresponding picture on your site: https://www.sehkelly.com/images/shop/[email protected]

At least in the picture it seems visible but it might be different in real life. But of course, this is a "design element" of the coat and I'll just have to evaluate how much I like it. It's rather a minor thing, though.

I don't notice it one bit when the flap is pulled back. All the texture distracts the viewers and at a few feets away, 3-5 mm extra thickness doesn't make much difference imo. But definitely think about it, I like the extra feature and asymmetrical when the latch is out, that just me :D.

aseo45

Reaction score
Agreed, I have last year’s version and the tab is not noticeable when buttoned back in person.

twdawson

Reaction score
I think the dark green will be fairly conservative, as it is very dark, being mixed with the black. That said, there are some colourful flecks in there, such as purple and red. But overall, it'll be a dark green tweed, and with the herringbone pattern quite muted unless inspected close up.

Any chance to see the cloth zoomed out / at a normal distance? Just want a sense of how it will look IRL not looking at a close up swatch

twdawson

Reaction score
There's a photo along those lines below the close-up photo of the swatch at http://sehkel.ly/bal -- though admittedly it is of the same swatch.
I was just surprised when you said the dark green herringbone would be quite muted, as from the swatch the pattern seems quite prominent…

Guess it’s too much to ask for your model to stand outside for a medium-long shot holding a yard of fabric?

RozenKristal

Reaction score
I was just surprised when you said the dark green herringbone would be quite muted, as from the swatch the pattern seems quite prominent…

Guess it’s too much to ask for your model to stand outside for a medium-long shot holding a yard of fabric?

He doesnt have the fabric, only the sample swatch afaik. The fabrics are on the way.

I photoshopped the chosen two over half of the completed coat. Tried to make the color overlayed the whole coat but ps was glitching out and it looked odd, so i settle with “painted” half. The image is approximately, somewhat

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

It's all subjective!

I think the dark green would sit alongside the two balmacaans we made last year, in navy-grey and brown, and so that's my frame for comparison. And also in the same frame is the mid-grey one, which is certainly more striking, at least in terms of the prominence of the pattern.

We don't have a yard of fabric, alas — the cloth is being woven to order.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have fit pics of the current model? I'm 5'9" 160lbs and wear a sz 42 jacket, looking for a roomier fit so it's hard for me to tell from the pictures on the item page how a size L would look on me; a size S on someone 6'1" 38 chest seems like a decidedly different fit.

Last edited:

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
While your at it taking photos of the Balmacaan, would there, perhaps, also be possible to throw in some pictures of the DB-set in cedar?

I’ve been holding off on them, since I can’t get a clear reading on how they would look worn together.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
While your at it taking photos of the Balmacaan, would there, perhaps, also be possible to throw in some pictures of the DB-set in cedar?

I’ve been holding off on them, since I can’t get a clear reading on how they would look worn together.

I'll make a note!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone have fit pics of the current model? I'm 5'9" 160lbs and wear a sz 42 jacket, looking for a roomier fit so it's hard for me to tell from the pictures on the item page how a size L would look on me; a size S on someone 6'1" 38 chest seems like a decidedly different fit.

I don't have any to hand besides those "as worn" on our website, but perhaps someone else who has purchased one in previous years will pipe up.

RozenKristal

Reaction score
I am really useful today.

5ft7 155lbs size xs 2020 bal. the sweater is the M sweater on seh site
77EFC2FA-7716-484E-8143-2664F134633D.jpeg

Chairbleue

Reaction score
1,78 m and 78 kg for me and the L Balmacaan 2020 :

Attachments

• 93E5A483-2E1F-4074-B4D0-9542EF21F398.jpeg
    93E5A483-2E1F-4074-B4D0-9542EF21F398.jpeg
    603.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 431A0F44-F2A4-4365-B6AF-B882F1F8E78A.jpeg
    431A0F44-F2A4-4365-B6AF-B882F1F8E78A.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 718F9182-2B11-4572-B65E-ADEA58EA939A.jpeg
    718F9182-2B11-4572-B65E-ADEA58EA939A.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 12905B51-F861-4F03-AF83-0A733F0031DE.jpeg
    12905B51-F861-4F03-AF83-0A733F0031DE.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 167

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads