• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The chap here is 38 in the chest — wearing a suit in 38, I mean, and wears size S in most off-peg brands — and is wearing the balmacaan here in size S. He has a thick woollen shirt underneath, and if I remember rightly, a lambswool cardigan, too.

balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-brown-worn-2@2x.jpeg

espen

Reaction score
Loving how this is progressing.

Size wise, I'm a 40L in a nice chunk of brands, however I find that once I start heavy layering (sport coat and outwear) I find my outerwear in the same size gets a bit too snug. I think bumping up to a L should do the trick here?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Loving how this is progressing.

Size wise, I'm a 40L in a nice chunk of brands, however I find that once I start heavy layering (sport coat and outwear) I find my outerwear in the same size gets a bit too snug. I think bumping up to a L should do the trick here?

I think with a coat of this ilk, a size up is better than a size down.

I really don't think there's anything wrong to be, frankly, swimming in cloth, so long as the coat is a good size, and the sleeves are the right length.

The raglan sleeves help a lot with that, of course, as they run untrammelled from neck to wrist irrespective of size. But also the style in general — the "larger look" to me being redolent of old films when all the coats were of titanic proportions.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
Would you be able to sew/tie on a belt during the photoshoot? Just to get a estimate of how the coat would look like with a belt?

Buffon.bj

Reaction score

Thanks a lot for that! I am comparing to a made to order Chrysalis cotton Balmacaan I bought last year, and the back length and pit-to-pit measurements are spot on the same as yours here, which makes me quite content! However, I am a bit puzzled at the sleeve length, and I suspect I am measuring it incorrectly. Here's the sleeve length of my coat, 34 inches:

IMG_20210505_132724.jpeg

That is, I'm just laying a straight line between the center back seam and the sleevehole, but I presume that is incorrect, considering the sleeve length is 2,5 inches shorter than on your coat! So, how should the sleeve be measured exactly?

Thank you for replying to my questions, by the way – this kind of direct customer service is amazing!

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
Hmm, thanks for the info! If I measured correctly, my coat is somewhere between 35 and 36 inches in that measurement. I trust that small, 1-2cm corrections to sleeve length are rather doable for a local tailor if needed?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hmm, thanks for the info! If I measured correctly, my coat is somewhere between 35 and 36 inches in that measurement. I trust that small, 1-2cm corrections to sleeve length are rather doable for a local tailor if needed?

Absolutely, yes. A very straightforward procedure.

weriker

Reaction score
I like how things are going forward and I'm definitely considering to pre-order.

There are two pictures that I'd like to see but haven't yet found on your site:
- what does the coat look like in the back / from behind?
- do you have a picture with the collar being worn open, with the top button unbuttoned?

Thanks in advance!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here we go!

balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-brown-8@2x.jpeg
balmacaan-hopsack-tweed-grey-worn-6@2x (1).jpeg

(The last one is from the coat in 2019, but which is identical at the back to the current one, besides its length. The new long version will have a little tab halfway down the pleat, the same size and shape as the cuff tabs, to control it, given the extra length of the coat.)

And then the only collar open I have to have is, I think ...

balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-navy-3@2x.jpeg

weriker

Reaction score
Thanks, looking good!

Now I just have to ponder if I'll be distracted by the built-in storm flap at the collar (in the 2019 it was apparently just a buttoned one) :)

RozenKristal

Reaction score
Thanks, looking good!

Now I just have to ponder if I'll be distracted by the built-in storm flap at the collar (in the 2019 it was apparently just a buttoned one) :)
You can bent it backward and button it so it is hidden away. At least that what mine has for last year version. The 2019 flap was a separated piece I believe

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads