• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here are swatches of the two Donegal tweeds laid on top of the coat.

herringbone-1@2x.jpg
herringbone-2@2x.jpg

As you can see, the pattern of our Donegal tweed is slightly wider, significantly more chunky, and exponentially more interesting.

It'll suit the big balmacaan better, I think, the bolder look.

moimael

Reaction score
Here are swatches of the two Donegal tweeds laid on top of the coat.

View attachment 1604004 View attachment 1604005

As you can see, the pattern of our Donegal tweed is slightly wider, significantly more chunky, and exponentially more interesting.

It'll suit the big balmacaan better, I think, the bolder look.
This looks fantastic. The more I see the green one, the more I'm tempted. I guess we can wait to have both made to make a decision ?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am happy and grateful there is a real difference between the two options.

Seems a classic case of "conservative versus adventurous" to me — though, I am sure, none the easier to decide!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This looks fantastic. The more I see the green one, the more I'm tempted. I guess we can wait to have both made to make a decision ?

It's tricky ...

We will order the cloth next week, and the quantity that we order will be based on the anticipated popularity of the two colours.

Then, when the two cloths are made — sometime in the summer, I guess — we'll have a second round of estimation, which will be "how many of each size shall we make in each colour?"

We'll base this on what prospective customers have told us thus far, and with those who have committed already to e.g. a balmacaan in dark green in size S guaranteed to having their order made. Around those figures, we will have to work on guesstimates — so e.g. we might make a dozen of the dark green in size S, which aside from the guaranteed pre-orders will be released all in one go, and with "first come first serve" being the order of the day.

moimael

Reaction score
It's tricky ...

We will order the cloth next week, and the quantity that we order will be based on the anticipated popularity of the two colours.

Then, when the two cloths are made — sometime in the summer, I guess — we'll have a second round of estimation, which will be "how many of each size shall we make in each colour?"

We'll base this on what prospective customers have told us thus far, and with those who have committed already to e.g. a balmacaan in dark green in size S guaranteed to having their order made. Around those figures, we will have to work on guesstimates — so e.g. we might make a dozen of the dark green in size S, which aside from the guaranteed pre-orders will be released all in one go, and with "first come first serve" being the order of the day.
Makes sense! I guess I'll have to do some thinking then :) Until when do we have to make a decision to have a guaranteed pre-order? I just asked to have myself added to the list but without any size or cloth choice.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Makes sense! I guess I'll have to do some thinking then :) Until when do we have to make a decision to have a guaranteed pre-order? I just asked to have myself added to the list but without any size or cloth choice.

We're feeling our way through this, but ...

If you tell me right now you wish to pre-order a balmacaan in dark green in size S (sorry, not sure why I keep holding this up as an example) then it is as good as yours come September.

And if you tell me so one week from now, then likewise.

Fast forward one month, and the window of "guaranteed" starts to narrow, as other chaps will presumably have come forward and pre-claimed a dark green in size S for themselves. And we can only make so many, and as this clicks along, I'm obliged to put those that put in their request first at the top of the list.

I guess — let it stew for a couple of weeks, say, but then, if you're keen, start trying to make up your mind!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
To make the post above more concrete, with regards to pre-orders ...

1. We will open up pre-orders right now (edit: live now at https://www.sehkelly.com/balmacaan-x-styleforum-in-donegal-tweed/).

2. Payment is 50% now and 50% on completion.

3. The coats will be completed in September. We will know the date better when the cloth is finished (that part of the equation is out of our hands, but we're getting in the order for cloth fairly early, so I have no concerns on that front).

4. Pre-orders will close mid-May. Thereafter, we can take reservations (the equivalent of "please notify me on the day the balmacaans are ready so I can take a closer look before they go on general release) — but there is no guarantee that the size you wish for will be available, as we can make only so many.

Does that seem a sensible and logical way to proceed?

Last edited:

markphilly

Reaction score
I am happy and grateful there is a real difference between the two options.

Seems a classic case of "conservative versus adventurous" to me — though, I am sure, none the easier to decide!
Curious which of the two you view as more conservative vs adventurous? Color vs brightness....

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Curious which of the two you view as more conservative vs adventurous? Color vs brightness....

I think the dark green will be fairly conservative, as it is very dark, being mixed with the black. That said, there are some colourful flecks in there, such as purple and red. But overall, it'll be a dark green tweed, and with the herringbone pattern quite muted unless inspected close up.

The grey is lighter and the herringbone pattern much more pronounced, because of the contrast between the light grey and the darker yarn. I think it'll be quite ... for want of a better word, jazzy, as S.E.H Kelly coats go!

markphilly

Reaction score
I think the dark green will be fairly conservative, as it is very dark, being mixed with the black. That said, there are some colourful flecks in there, such as purple and red. But overall, it'll be a dark green tweed, and with the herringbone pattern quite muted unless inspected close up.

The grey is lighter and the herringbone pattern much more pronounced, because of the contrast between the light grey and the darker yarn. I think it'll be quite ... for want of a better word, jazzy, as S.E.H Kelly coats go!
That was my thought (as a conservative character, somewhat color averse, but love a dark green), but appreciate your perspective. I'm definitely enjoying the green, personally.

markphilly

Reaction score

Also, forgive me if this was already noted, but would it be possible to see that sample shot on body at some point?

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
To make the post about more concrete, with regards to pre-orders, what we are thinking is —

1. Open up pre-orders right now. Thus if you wish to pre-order, email me at [email protected] or message through Styleforum.

2. Payment is 50% now and 50% on completion. The estimated price is £760 inc. VAT. For customers overseas we will deduct VAT. (If the final price is lower than £760 then the second payment, on completion, will be correspondingly lower).

3. The coats will be completed in September. We will know the date better when the cloth is finished (that part of the equation is out of our hands, but we're getting in the order for cloth fairly, so I have no concerns on that front).

4. Pre-orders will close mid-May. Thereafter, we can take reservations (the equivalent of "please notify me on the day the balmacaans are ready so I can take a closer look before they go on general release) — but there is no guarantee that the size you wish for will be available, as we can make only so many.

Does that seem a sensible and logical way to proceed?

This seems excellent to me! Would it be also possible to get a table of measurements for the coat before pre-ordering? I'm a bit on the fence between size L and XL, so a detailed table would be most helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads