• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am finding it hard to conceptualize just how wide the "wide" version is. I feel like I don't have a point of reference.
From the images posted, I like the look of:

Standard 10
Wide 9

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am finding it hard to conceptualize just how wide the "wide" version is. I feel like I don't have a point of reference.
From the images posted, I like the look of:

Standard 10
Wide 9

Cheers.

If it helps any, the thumbnails are all the same scale.

The standard herringbone — which is, well ... the standard width for coating with a herringbone pattern (and the same scale pattern as https://www.sehkelly.com/balmacaan-in-donegal-tweed-in-walnut/, so if you look at some of those photographs but squint to imagine a herringbone you'll be most of the way there) — there are about four columns of the herringbone pattern within each thumbnail.

And then the wide version has three columns at a push (more like 2.75 by my count).

Thus the wide is *looks around hopefully for anyone better at maths* about 30-40% wider than the standard.

Last edited:

moimael

Reaction score
This is a perennial challenge, in truth!

As the years have gone by, mostly with experience good and bad, we have become quite good at judging how a small swatch of cloth will look across an entire coat. Some of the swatches do give me pause for thought (such as Wide 1, which I worry could look quite ... matte, flat, and extremely grey, over the span of a big coat, as compared to e.g. Wide 9, which looks a safer bet to my eyes).

I have the same issue as well. On a small swatch, I'm more likely to find a more contrasted herringbone nicer, I'm not quite sure to like it as much on a full-scale coat. They all look very good though (even the orange one, although I'd most likely not wear it), the wider herringbone having my preference.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input so far.

And if it steers anyone's choice any, we can confirm now that for our own version of the balmacaan (which will be the same as currently on the site, but a bit longer) we'll be using Standard 7 and Standard 13.

But made into barleycorn patterns, rather than herringbone.

Never let it be said we don't stick with what we like!

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input so far.

And if it steers anyone's choice any, we can confirm now that for our own version of the balmacaan (which will be the same as currently on the site, but a bit longer) we'll be using Standard 7 and Standard 13.

But made into barleycorn patterns, rather than herringbone.

Never let it be said we don't stick with what we like!
Cool. So 13 is a regular old gray and 7 is... brown and blue-gray?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Cool. So 13 is a regular old gray and 7 is... brown and blue-gray?

7 is dark brown and charcoal with flecks mostly of autumn colours.

13 is black and charcoal with flecks mostly of light grey and red.

We have used the yarns that go into 7 before and it is very much up our street, so we've played it safe. I ran several colour options through my "would I wear that" algorithm and these are the results.

NO MERCY

Reaction score
Now I understand all those headlines about the dangers of 'biased algorithms'.

Any news on the knit tee shirt front?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Saddened that no mossy dark green barleycorns made the cut!

There are no mossy dark green yarns to make such a tantalising possibility, sadly — at least not this year.

There are dark green yarns, but they are awash with flecks of purple and red and green, which are all a little outside our comfort zone.

Another year, surely!

And there is a dark green in the wider herringbones posted here two days ago, which is still up for vote in the Styleforum version of the balmacaan.

rasmusp

Reaction score
I would prefer something slightly heavier/warmer. For that the standard width herringbones would be preferable, right?
My preference would be:
standard 12
standard 7
standard 13
standard 9

Of the wides I prefer 5 and 6

But I find it quite hard to visualize how each pattern would look when used for a coat, so I'd be happy to put my trust in SEH Kelly regarding the exact fabric.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I would prefer something slightly heavier/warmer. For that the standard width herringbones would be preferable, right?
My preference would be:
standard 12
standard 7
standard 13
standard 9

Of the wides I prefer 5 and 6

But I find it quite hard to visualize how each pattern would look when used for a coat, so I'd be happy to put my trust in SEH Kelly regarding the exact fabric.

Cheers!

The standard herringbone is about 10% heavier, yes ...

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I just discovered this project!

Can anyone run me up to speed on the deets?

With pleasure!

We're (S.E.H Kelly, which is me and my co-founder Sara) are making a version of our balmacaan (a fairly long walking coat) with the community here on Styleforum.

The standard version of the coat, which we've made in one form or another for the past five or six years, you can see at https://sehkelly.com/balmacaan.

Here is the story so far, told in the form of links to previous posts (I hope this doesn't come across as lazy).

I mooted the idea first at https://www.styleforum.net/threads/s-e-h-kelly.277070/post-10567305. We walked here about the coat itself and potential new cloths.

A week or two later, I summed up the story so far at https://www.styleforum.net/threads/s-e-h-kelly.277070/post-10641274.

A few weeks went by, with quite a bit of chat, and we seemed to narrow the bounds of the project down to our balmacaan, made longer and possibly with a belt, in a tweed from Donegal, such that we have used in previous years ... but different.

I spent some time with the mill to compile a "long list" of options, presented at https://www.styleforum.net/threads/s-e-h-kelly.277070/post-10677424.

In the days since then, we've taken an informal vote on favourites, with a view in a week or two of taking a final vote -- choosing at most two colours / cloths from a choice of, I dunno, ten.

I've also been developing the coat itself, with a mock-up of the new, longer version made and ready to be shown to the thread in a day or two.

And, finally, the plan is to release the final coat after the summer, with pre-orders taken once the final cloth(s) has been agreed.

I think you're up to speed!

Paul

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads