• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hiya Paul,
Any chance of a getting 46 done up if I hop on the Balmacaan order?

Sorry!

Size XL (44) will be our biggest size. We do occasionally get requests for XXL and XXS, but not in numbers big enough to make it feasible (even XS and XL are very much outliers).

Apologies!

One day ...

Camerashy

Reaction score
Hi Paul just come across this thread for the Balmacaan coat which I am interested in so if there is a pre order list would you put my name down to receive further information please or is it a case of just keeping up to speed with this thread
Thanks
Dave

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Paul just come across this thread for the Balmacaan coat which I am interested in so if there is a pre order list would you put my name down to receive further information please
Thanks
Dave

Will do!

Right now, we're spreading all the possible cloth option on the table, having drilled it down a little over the preceding weeks to a heavy tweed from Donegal (such as we use every year).

We've been steered by the community here towards herringbones, with outside interest too in barleycorns (which we used last year for the balmacaan) or jumbo herringbones. Some folks have also suggest plain weaves (like basketweaves) or even checks.

So that's where we are!

I am currently sourcing some more cloth options to look at, and in the meanwhile we're working on development of the balmacaan to improve in mostly imperceptible ways the version we made last year *and also* making it longer.

We're hopefully have a fun few weeks and months ahead.

Demronick

Reaction score
Hi Paul,

Can you please keep me in the loop too with the balmacaan coat project?

Cheers,
Steven

10dence

Reaction score
We've been steered by the community here towards herringbones, with outside interest too in barleycorns (which we used last year for the balmacaan) or jumbo herringbones. Some folks have also suggest plain weaves (like basketweaves) or even checks.

Will you be making the community version in several fabrics or just the one? (Sorry haven't been following the discussion as closely as I should've)
Voting for barleycorn anyway or a nice speckled donegal tweed of some sort.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Will you be making the community version in several fabrics or just the one? (Sorry haven't been following the discussion as closely as I should've)
Voting for barleycorn anyway or a nice speckled donegal tweed of some sort.

Duly noted! Thank you.

The plan is a single colour. I had not until now considered more than one. It is not out of the question, however, but really depends in the swell of interest in the project (which is hard to measure) and the likely number of pre-orders. The more interest there seems to be, the more viable two colours rather than one will be.

espen

Reaction score
Duly noted! Thank you.

The plan is a single colour. I had not until now considered more than one. It is not out of the question, however, but really depends in the swell of interest in the project (which is hard to measure) and the likely number of pre-orders. The more interest there seems to be, the more viable two colours rather than one will be.

No point in sitting on the sidelines. I'm definitely interested in this project as well, so far all the points have hit perfectly for me. Excited for the longer length as a taller fellow.

clothesfan

Reaction score
Very interested in this project and my preferences are for a barleycorn followed by herringbone in a mid/dark brown or green. I would love to see a re-stock/issue of the walnut barleycorn!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Very interested in this project and my preferences are for a barleycorn followed by herringbone in a mid/dark brown or green. I would love to see a re-stock/issue of the walnut barleycorn!

Thanks. I must admit I am being drawn to green (dark) too ...

aseo45

Reaction score
Hi Paul, is there anyway multiple fabric options would be made available for this SF special order?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Paul, is there anyway multiple fabric options would be made available for this SF special order?

There is certainly chance of a second colour IF there is a second colour that people think worthwhile.

I err against doing it for the sake of it, however. My ambition with this coat as with anything we make — if not more so! — is to make something that stands on its own merits, as an outstanding coat, which generates marvel and delight irrespective of being limited in number or a part of a Styleforum collaboration.

I often try to stifle the curiosity or temptation of more colours for the sake of more colours, as often the first idea is best!

aseo45

Reaction score
There is certainly chance of a second colour IF there is a second colour that people think worthwhile.

I err against doing it for the sake of it, however. My ambition with this coat as with anything we make — if not more so! — is to make something that stands on its own merits, as an outstanding coat, which generates marvel and delight irrespective of being limited in number or a part of a Styleforum collaboration.

I often try to stifle the curiosity or temptation of more colours for the sake of more colours, as often the first idea is best!
Understood and thanks for the reply! I only ask as I would likely not go for a green, if that’s where the crowd goes, but would go for the previously mentioned grey/charcoals. It does seem like there is a fair amount of interest in both some form of grey and a green/brown, but I definitely understand the sentiment of wanting to limit this collaboration to singular style/color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads