• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So far, I believe the following might happen?

1) Longer length.
2) Optional belt?

And as mentioned, we can make a mock-up or set of mock-ups, of 43", 41", and 39" (for sake of argument) and take a vote on which is preferred.

We can show them belted and unbelted, too, when the time comes ... which I guess could be about 6-8 weeks from now.

oldworldelegance

Reaction score

What would optional mean? That it's possible to a. order it without it or b. to remove it without having visible belt loops?

I personally don't think a belt works well with this sort of coat. I'm quite happy with the belt and the way it's partly hidden in the trench coat though, so I'm not averse to belts per say (my first ever SEH Kelly garment purchased back in 2014 and still frequently used).

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What would optional mean? That it's possible to a. order it without it or b. to remove it without having visible belt loops?

I personally don't think a belt works well with this sort of coat. I'm quite happy with the belt and the way it's partly hidden in the trench coat though, so I'm not averse to belts per say (my first ever SEH Kelly garment purchased back in 2014 and still frequently used).

That's our policy with belts, yes — we like them to be removable if the wearer is no fan of them (like as you say, with the trench, where the belt can be retired and yet not leave the coat with a sense of something lacking).

I rather like the idea of providing a set of belt loops with each balmacaan (along with a belt and a couple of runners). The owner can then make the final decision as to whether or not their balmacaan has a belt or not. This was often an option in outfitters in London (and presumably further afield) in decades past. The customer would choose their coat, and have it customised with or without belt loops by an in-house seamstress when they reached the till. It would seem like the wearer was contributing in no small part to the completion of the coat: the final defining act.

moimael

Reaction score
That's our policy with belts, yes — we like them to be removable if the wearer is no fan of them (like as you say, with the trench, where the belt can be retired and yet not leave the coat with a sense of something lacking).

I rather like the idea of providing a set of belt loops with each balmacaan (along with a belt and a couple of runners). The owner can then make the final decision as to whether or not their balmacaan has a belt or not. This was often an option in outfitters in London (and presumably further afield) in decades past. The customer would choose their coat, and have it customised with or without belt loops by an in-house seamstress when they reached the till. It would seem like the wearer was contributing in no small part to the completion of the coat: the final defining act.

That would be fantastic.

Going back to the longer length, could you also make sure there is enough room at the "skirt" of the coat to not become annoying when walking. It can particularly be an issue with a very thick cloth if the coat is not roomy enough.

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
The longer coat length is a fantastic idea. If I were to choose, I'd say 44" from the bottom of the collar to the hem would be good, 43" also passable. Would it be possible to leave some extra allowance in the hem? We come in different sizes, and someone shorter than myself wouldn't likely want a 44" length, so making, say, a 43" length but with 1-2" extra allowance would be super.

The darker herringbones – charcoal, dark brown - would be my pick for the fabric.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The longer coat length is a fantastic idea. If I were to choose, I'd say 44" from the bottom of the collar to the hem would be good, 43" also passable. Would it be possible to leave some extra allowance in the hem? We come in different sizes, and someone shorter than myself wouldn't likely want a 44" length, so making, say, a 43" length but with 1-2" extra allowance would be super.

The darker herringbones – charcoal, dark brown - would be my pick for the fabric.

That's an interesting idea, building additional length into the coat, but it's not easily done, sorry to say — at least, not without having a sort of "stuffed crust" look to the hem of the coat, which I dare say would look unprofessional for a finished garment, especially in cloth of the weights we're talking here.

44" is doable as standard, though, of course!

Thibault S

Reaction score
With the pass through pockets in the SEH Kelly, how does that impact warmth/wind resistance? I could imagine it just getting really cold. Cool detail though. See it in doctor's white coats.
Nothing to be afraid of. As Paul explained it, it is made in a way that there isn’t any corridor of air, only different doors that your hands can go through

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That would be fantastic.

Going back to the longer length, could you also make sure there is enough room at the "skirt" of the coat to not become annoying when walking. It can particularly be an issue with a very thick cloth if the coat is not roomy enough.

Have no fear! We are well-versed in making long coats and will anyway take all necessary precautions!

rasmusp

Reaction score
That's an interesting idea, building additional length into the coat, but it's not easily done, sorry to say — at least, not without having a sort of "stuffed crust" look to the hem of the coat, which I dare say would look unprofessional for a finished garment, especially in cloth of the weights we're talking here.

For what it is worth, I think a length of 44" for a size 40 (your medium?) sounds good. That would take it 1.5" so below my knees.

Buffon.bj

Reaction score

Thanks for the reply! If the basic length is long enough, I am happy without the extra allowance ;) Thrilled that you are making this possible!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! If the basic length is long enough, I am happy without the extra allowance ;) Thrilled that you are making this possible!

Well ... I think it'll still have to come down to some sort of vote at some stage, or other consensus (which makes no one or everyone happy or some percentage in between).

'patanoster

Reaction score
Just chiming in to say I support the darker herringbones for the balmacaan and will have to pay far more attention to this thread so I can be sure to get my preorder in.

Picked up one of the field shirts at Xmas -- I think I may have oversized a touch too much, but it is still rapidly becoming my favourite outer layer for when its cool but not too cold out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads