• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Najnar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would probably be most interested in something that ends just below the knee. I think longer than that and it starts to get impractical
View attachment 1569524
I think this photo shows that a longer, full coat is complemented by a slightly longer and fuller collar up top. Not sure how that will affect how easy it will be to make the collar stay up better, though.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks all very much for the input on length.

It seems sensible to me to, when the time comes (a month or two) to make a mock-up of the balmacaan. It can be made very long, and then I can pin it to certain lengths, photograph it each time, and take a vote here on the forum.

How's that sound?

MaE

Reaction score
Count me in. I have been looking for a Bal for a few months now but I never found the one Bal that made me pull the trigger.

@sehkelly Are all of the updates going to be published here on SF or do you have a mailing list specifically for this projetct?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Count me in. I have been looking for a Bal for a few months now but I never found the one Bal that made me pull the trigger.

@sehkelly Are all of the updates going to be published here on SF or do you have a mailing list specifically for this projetct?

Exclusively on here, sir, and with all pre-orders satisfied before the coat goes onto our website and is available to Joe Public.

Susurrus

Reaction score
Timeframe on when new knitwear will be on your website. Thanks. All this talk of coats is making me think of summer.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Timeframe on when new knitwear will be on your website. Thanks. All this talk of coats is making me think of summer.

The knitters are on the case now!

Hopefully by the end of the month ... although knitters are a group affected greatly by Covid, so it is unwise for me to present lead-times with too much confidence.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The knitters are on the case now!

Hopefully by the end of the month ... although knitters are a group affected greatly by Covid, so it is unwise for me to present lead-times with too much confidence.

... and at the risk of repeating myself from maybe a week ago, it will be the return of the cardigan, polo shirt, and v-neck, as well as a new t-shirt and watch cap — all in cotton.

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
Cheers!

In terms of length, here is our Chesterfield, which at 41" (in size M) is 4" longer than our balmacaan (37").

View attachment 1569517

And then there's our tielocken, which is 43.5" in length and thus 6.5" longer than the balmacaan.

View attachment 1569518

For reference, the chap here is about 6' 1".

Are these the sort of lengths folks have in mind for the Styleforum edition?

I'd say this is the perfect length, a few inches (give or take) below the knee. It should also be possible for any alterations tailor to shorten it a bit for those that prefer it on the knee given the horizontal edge.

Eyechild

Reaction score
OK you have my attention!

out of the fabric swatches the herringbone brown second from left would get my vote. Hard to get an idea of the scale on these (trying to work out the size of the scissors in the background) but I love larger herringbone patterns - think they look really striking on overcoats.

and hitting below the knee would be great, as would a slightly roomier cut.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
OK you have my attention!

out of the fabric swatches the herringbone brown second from left would get my vote. Hard to get an idea of the scale on these (trying to work out the size of the scissors in the background) but I love larger herringbone patterns - think they look really striking on overcoats.

and hitting below the knee would be great, as would a slightly roomier cut.

Duly noted, and many thanks.

I am speaking to the mill this afternoon to explore some of the suggestions made here over the past few days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads