• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rasmusp

Reaction score
Paul, can you post orders "Delivered Duty Paid" to EU addresses? To avoid the annoyance of dealing with customs clearance.

Spicycurry

Reaction score
Paul, I missed out on the black barleycorn balmacaan you ended up making a few years ago. Do you still have photos of that? It's one of my biggest regrets and it would be fantastic if we could add that to the discussion.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Paul, can you post orders "Delivered Duty Paid" to EU addresses? To avoid the annoyance of dealing with customs clearance.

We're always happy to dispatch orders by whichever service the customer so wishes.

From what I have seen, which I must caveat is limited, DDP is quite expensive -- at least £80 to somewhere in Europe, and up to £400 for heavier items to further afield (and more, depending on value) -- so there would be a surcharge on the order.

As you know, shipping is (and will be) always completely free on our website, and since the policy was "baked" into the website when I made it, it (or rather me) isn't clever enough to allow the user to choose a different shipping service like DDP at checkout. More than happy to accommodate, though, if it is preferable!

Last month we also made all prices on the website completely free from VAT, so now, all customers outside the UK pay no sales tax (currently 20%) to our friends in Westminster.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Paul, I missed out on the black barleycorn balmacaan you ended up making a few years ago. Do you still have photos of that? It's one of my biggest regrets and it would be fantastic if we could add that to the discussion.

Which one was that, sorry?

(getting old)

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'd love to see some green-greys, those can be very wearable and a nice changeup from what is typically seen. Alternatively, a rich olive-khaki color like Old Joe had last season in some of its coats.

Nice!

I haven't seen Donegal yarns as bright / saturated as that, but I'll investigate.

I wonder if they tend on the whole to be more muted so the trademarks flecks of colour can shine through. (Such was the origins of the flecks in the first place: to add colour to plain woollens, with dyeing being very expensive back in the day.)

WizardVigilante

Reaction score
Nice!

I haven't seen Donegal yarns as bright / saturated as that, but I'll investigate.

I wonder if they tend on the whole to be more muted so the trademarks flecks of colour can shine through. (Such was the origins of the flecks in the first place: to add colour to plain woollens, with dyeing being very expensive back in the day.)

Probably about as much flamboyance as you could get away with in the west of Ireland, without being burned as a suspected changeling. We've relaxed a lot in the intervening centuries.

Spicycurry

Reaction score
Which one was that, sorry?

(getting old)
balmacaan-hopsack-tweed-grey-worn-6@2x.jpg

I guess it wasn't quite black. Regardless, the hopsack is a grail of mine at this point.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I guess it wasn't quite black. Regardless, the hopsack is a grail of mine at this point.

Gotcha!

I don't have any photographs to hand right now, but here are some links ...

... and the brown version:

This cloth was made with a mix of Donegal tweed and black cotton and was woven in Northern Ireland with quite different contraptions to our usual Donegal tweed (which is woven in Donegal).

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any chance of a belt on the coat?

It's not out of the question!

But at least in part because we have several coats already with belts in our line-up, in the interests of balance the balmacaan doesn't have one. (I also prefer balmacaans without belts.)

One idea I had is to send some belt loops and a belt along with the Styleforum coat, and if anyone wished to attach the loops (and thus belt the coat) they could sew them on themselves or have them done quickly at a local tailor. Sort of like how outfitters did in London a few decades ago.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads