• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dead arm

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Is there an S.E.H. Kelly buy/sell/trade thread here on Styleforum? I've looked around but haven't found one. Maybe there isn't enough volume to warrant it. I'm considering selling my lightly worn Balmacaan (XL / charcoal / the exact one pictured at the bottom of this page), which is lovely, but too small on me to wear over anything but light layers.

I second any plans for a longer Balmacaan, too.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Is there an S.E.H. Kelly buy/sell/trade thread here on Styleforum? I've looked around but haven't found one. Maybe there isn't enough volume to warrant it. I'm considering selling my lightly worn Balmacaan (XL / charcoal / the exact one pictured at the bottom of this page), which is lovely, but too small on me to wear over anything but light layers.

I second any plans for a longer Balmacaan, too.

Not to my knowledge, sorry.

Our things seem to do quite well on Grailed or on auctions.yahoo.co.jp (easier said than done).

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Oh and — both colours of the car coat are now online at http://sehkelly.com/shop.

car-coat-cotton-staywax-olive-drab-1@2x.jpg
car-coat-cotton-staywax-parchment-1@2x.jpg

YoungM

Reaction score
Per the discussion of SEH Kelly stuff that we're offering, I have a pair of the slim trousers in a beautiful, heavy tan cotton that I bought at the beginning of the pandemic. I then lost about 30 pounds, and I'm now swimming in them. I've never worn them outside the house. You can see the listing here - buy them from me so I can buy more SEH.

On another note, I received my Melton field shirt last week - thank you for the heads-up about the XL. It fits perfectly, both over a t-shirt and over knitwear. It is also, of course, beautifully made.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Per the discussion of SEH Kelly stuff that we're offering, I have a pair of the slim trousers in a beautiful, heavy tan cotton that I bought at the beginning of the pandemic. I then lost about 30 pounds, and I'm now swimming in them. I've never worn them outside the house. You can see the listing here - buy them from me so I can buy more SEH.

On another note, I received my Melton field shirt last week - thank you for the heads-up about the XL. It fits perfectly, both over a t-shirt and over knitwear. It is also, of course, beautifully made.

Glad to hear it.

The field shirt has grown into an elder statesman role at the workshop despite only being about three years old in its current form.

We are currently developing a new pullover shirt that shares lots in common with it, too: hopefully the first mock-up will be made on Monday.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
News on the balmacaan front!

We have some samples of cloth incoming from the mill in Donegal, which I'll endeavour to share in the coming days.

They'll be mostly herringbones — the same weight as the barleycorn design we used last year. However, the yarns can also be used to make other designs, such as a plain-weaves (which with the yarn being spun in Donegal is anything but plain).

Hopefully we'll find some consensus here and can make some balmacaans -- longer! maybe with an optional belt like how they did in gentlemen's outfitters way back when! -- together with the forum later in the year.

And on the subject of the balmacaan, he is the current version, newly photographed at the workshop.

balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-brown-worn-2s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-brown-worn-3s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-brown-worn-5s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-brown-worn-1s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-brown-worn-4s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-brown-worn-7s@2x.jpg

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul, just wanted to drop in to share my opinion that the newest car coat looks bang on. Very very cool looking cut with the very functional lapels and pockets. The last thing I need is yet another coat, but so very tempting. I hope this iteration of the car coat can stay for a while.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Paul, just wanted to drop in to share my opinion that the newest car coat looks bang on. Very very cool looking cut with the very functional lapels and pockets. The last thing I need is yet another coat, but so very tempting. I hope this iteration of the car coat can stay for a while.

Many thanks!

We have a good number of coats in the collection now, and finding niches to fill — rather than design another fun but ultimately unnecessary big, belted thing! — is proving more and more tricky. And so I am pleased with the car coat in that regard. It's the sort of thing we haven't really had up until now.

I also think it'll work well in lots of different materials, and we hope to keep rolling it in the years to come.

10dence

Reaction score
Forgot about it during your last round of questions, but would you consider a thinner watch cap of some sort? I love the ones I have but they do take a fair amount of pocket space when not in use.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Forgot about it during your last round of questions, but would you consider a thinner watch cap of some sort? I love the ones I have but they do take a fair amount of pocket space when not in use.

We've no plans, I must admit, as we tend to play to our strengths ... which at least as far as lambswool knitwear goes, tends towards the chunkier end of the spectrum.

The yarns and type of knitting we employ are fine in lighter weights, but without a chunky stitch, they lose their distinctiveness and, at least as far as the limited design avenues of a cap, I worry risk looking like a dozen other brands.

We do have some upcoming in cotton, however! Next month, hopefully. They're still proudly chunky but possibly a bit more squishable than their wool counterparts.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any upcoming pyjama tops for spring/summer? If so, what materials / colors?

10dence

Reaction score
We've no plans, I must admit, as we tend to play to our strengths ... which at least as far as lambswool knitwear goes, tends towards the chunkier end of the spectrum.

The yarns and type of knitting we employ are fine in lighter weights, but without a chunky stitch, they lose their distinctiveness and, at least as far as the limited design avenues of a cap, I worry risk looking like a dozen other brands.

We do have some upcoming in cotton, however! Next month, hopefully. They're still proudly chunky but possibly a bit more squishable than their wool counterparts.

I request a squishing comparison in the near future then, please.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I request a squishing comparison in the near future then, please.

Unfortunately, they squish to more or less the same extent.

Apologies.

I thus suggest instead you get bigger pockets, or leave the cap on your head at all times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads