• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the bountiful suggestions for the "purely hypothetical and speculative notion" of a one-off project with Styleforum last week. Much to chew on!

The workshop is filling up slowly with articles for early spring. The new flight jacket with its removable collar sprang up over the weekend, and I spent half of yesterday photographing our new smock, which is a departure from the version last year and is closer to the sort of thing you might find on a grizzled but image-conscious Cornish seafarer.

I'm also playing catch-up with photographs of the things we made for *now* -- i.e. the woolly stuff. Most of this is now sold out, but we do have one of this and one of that, and most of it will of course return in other forms later in the year.

shirt-kelly-collar-merino-oxford-grey-worn-1s@2x.jpg
shirt-kelly-collar-merino-oxford-grey-worn-2s@2x.jpg
donkey-jacket-woollen-melton-cotton-tobacco-worn-3s@2x.jpg
donkey-jacket-woollen-melton-cotton-tobacco-worn-2s@2x.jpg
donkey-jacket-woollen-melton-cotton-tobacco-worn-1s@2x.jpg
peacoat-woollen-melton-grey-worn-1s@2x.jpg
peacoat-woollen-melton-grey-worn-2s@2x.jpg
peacoat-woollen-melton-grey-worn-3s@2x.jpg

We're also finishing off the new version of the car coat this week. It is quite different from previous versions, and frankly, I find its pockets mildly thrilling. We hope to have it ready within two weeks (and thus I'll be photographing it outside the workshop in about five months).

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We've been ambling along with the production of some new mid-layers, as we've taken to calling them, including a revised version of popover shirt from last year, and an entirely reworked version of the smock (in fact it's not so much a "version" as a fresh design).

We intended to have all online over the weekend, but the new car coat jumped the queue on account of it being a more timely thing to release given the current state of the weather in most of the northern hemisphere (hopefully, it will be up on the site by Tuesday). It's a little bit tielocken, a little bit peacoat, a little bit previous versions of the car coat.

In the meantime, here — a few photographs of the new smock, before I aborted mission to work on getting the car coat online instead. The cloth is the cotton panama which acquitted itself very well with the slim trousers last month: a welcome new addition in the "sold all-rounder" category of springs-summer materials.

smock-cotton-panama-olive-2s@2x.jpg
smock-cotton-panama-olive-10s@2x.jpg
smock-cotton-panama-olive-9s@2x.jpg
smock-cotton-panama-olive-7s@2x.jpg
smock-cotton-panama-olive-6s@2x.jpg
smock-cotton-panama-olive-5s@2x.jpg
smock-cotton-panama-olive-3s@2x.jpg

NO MERCY

Reaction score
@sehkelly, the smock looks cool.

What sort of revisions has the popover gotten? I find myself reaching for the brown and grey linen iterations all the time here in the bay area. Really just kicking myself for not picking up the oatmeal color as well while it was available.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@sehkelly, the smock looks cool.

What sort of revisions has the popover gotten? I find myself reaching for the brown and grey linen iterations all the time here in the bay area. Really just kicking myself for not picking up the oatmeal color as well while it was available.

Cheers!

The popover is much the same, but the pocket has been relocated, the neck / placket extends further down the front to make it easier to pull over the year, and a centimetre has been shaved from the collar. Little, pendantic changes — my favourite.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
In the theme of previewing things that aren't yet online, but will hopefully be in a few days, here's the new car coat, which is surely our car coat-iest car coat yet.

car-coat-cotton-staywax-olive-drab-2s@2x.jpg
car-coat-cotton-staywax-olive-drab-4s@2x.jpg
car-coat-cotton-staywax-olive-drab-16s@2x.jpg
car-coat-cotton-staywax-olive-drab-17s@2x.jpg
car-coat-cotton-staywax-olive-drab-8s@2x.jpg
car-coat-cotton-staywax-olive-drab-12s@2x.jpg
car-coat-cotton-staywax-olive-drab-3s@2x.jpg

The car coat seem to be one of those styles of outerwear which is hard to define, as people of different generations tend to think of it in different ways. We've gone down the route of a "short and fairly smart overcoat", in the spirit of car salesmen and football commentators in the 1970s and 1980s (but this time in rain-proof cotton rather than fur).

Its father in terms of development is the tielocken, so it has the same soft split sleeve, and feels very good on the body.

augustinN

Reaction score
Nice ! The collar seems very different from the previous iteration in weatherproof ripstop. How are the pockets this time ? The same combination of patch pockets and in seam pockets ?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Nice ! The collar seems very different from the previous iteration in weatherproof ripstop. How are the pockets this time ? The same combination of patch pockets and in seam pockets ?

Thanks!

There are very large bellows pockets at the front, and running behind / underneath them are in-seam warmer pockets.

The effect is it looks like two-way patch pockets, but because they're two completely separate pockets, the sideways ones, in particular, look and feel better, with a deeper pocket bag, and less of an unsightly bulge when you put your hands into them.

Thibault S

Reaction score
Good morning Paul (and everyone),

Is there another color for the smock to come?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads