• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Complete Novice

Reaction score
Gotcha!

By "down the middle" I'm just using slang for "average" or "normal" — nothing more than that. As in "straight down the middle". Maybe I should re-word it.

There are lots of standard measurements to which we do and don't conform. Whole cutting and tailoring journals full of them! Some of it is done by eye, and which what looks right, while others strictly follow age-old standards. I am sure to lots of eyes our proportions would be very wrong indeed, and often we push proportions this way and that as part of the design process, to make something unique or interesting and surprising (tame though we are in the grand scheme of things). I generally have a penchant for oversized pockets and proportions squidged to the middle of the body ...
Interesting, I can see that!

Do you also have a preferred silhouette for your pieces and if so, why please?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
To be honest, we just know what we like, and that's as far as it goes.

I guess the silhouette (which isn't a term I use) is just classic and English ... and probably best described through the photographs of chaps wearing stuff across our site.

Complete Novice

Reaction score
To be honest, we just know what we like, and that's as far as it goes.

I guess the silhouette (which isn't a term I use) is just classic and English ... and probably best described through the photographs of chaps wearing stuff across our site.
I like the attitude! - sometimes you gotta do what you enjoy (and are good at) without overthinking it.

I, for one, will definitely enjoy it if I can get my hands on some of those melton coats and jackets being discussed above :)

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
As some here might know, we had quite a large hiccup (verging on a belch) with our trousers before Christmas, with the release of our standard trousers in various woollen materials postponed indefinitely because of (at least in part self-inflicted) production error.

We are getting things back on track now, and both our standard and proper trousers styles are being redeveloped (including minor redesigns) with the hope to release them both later in the summer. They won't be woollen, of course: that will have to wait until September or so.

We have, however, finished making a bunch of new slim trousers, in a range of trusty cottons. First on the website this week is cotton panama, which is a canvas of middling weight, and for a canvas quite fine and soft. We have them here in stone and in a day or two in black.

slim-trousers-cotton-panama-stone-10s@2x.jpg
slim-trousers-cotton-panama-stone-14s@2x.jpg
slim-trousers-cotton-panama-stone-3s@2x.jpg
slim-trousers-cotton-panama-stone-8s@2x.jpg
slim-trousers-cotton-panama-stone-9s@2x.jpg

And cotton airweave, too! There's dark olive on the website as of this morning, with a navy version upcoming before the end of the week. We have used this cloth several times over recent years, including for trousers, and it's one I categorise as "three season" -- or at least "two-and-a-half season" -- on account of its crispness and sturdy weight on one hand, but trademark open weave on the other.

slim-trousers-cotton-airweave-dark-olive-10s@2x.jpg
slim-trousers-cotton-airweave-dark-olive-7s@2x.jpg
slim-trousers-cotton-airweave-dark-olive-4s@2x.jpg
slim-trousers-cotton-airweave-dark-olive-2s@2x.jpg

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Speaking both speculatively *and* hypothetically ...

If there was ever a project here on Styleforum to make one or two of our garments in the customised community-led manner which I understanding is these days very popular, what would it be?

A tielocken with three sleeves?

A balmacaan but twice as long?

A trouser, jacket, and waistcoat three-piece made with uncleaned fleeces shorn from beasts roaming the Inner Hebrides?

Any suggestions serious or silly welcome.

RozenKristal

Reaction score

I dont know about others, you might want to gather some sorta polling to do it. I think a lot of people, both on reddit and here, seems to want a balmacaan to go past the knee, so a longer balmacaan might gain a lot of traction. Can I throw in a houndstooth pattern for the balmacaan that go longer than the knee? I will be first in line to buy it lol.

A 3 sleeves tielocken? @_@

NO MERCY

Reaction score
Speaking both speculatively *and* hypothetically ...

If there was ever a project here on Styleforum to make one or two of our garments in the customised community-led manner which I understanding is these days very popular, what would it be?

A tielocken with three sleeves?

A trouser, jacket, and waistcoat three-piece made with uncleaned fleeces shorn from beasts roaming the Inner Hebrides?

Any suggestions serious or silly welcome.

I dont have any suggestions for increased length or sleeve count, but I would love to see some fabric options that might otherwise be 'too wild' for consideration.

Csus2

Reaction score
I'd throw money at a revival of the tour jacket tbh. Also would be into any sort of great or long coat.

If we're being silly, I'd like a tour jacket and trousers both made with the Aramid fibre, please, with a reinforced crotch area and some other cycling-friendly features we could talk over.

Last edited:

Thibault S

Reaction score
Agreed with a longer Balmacaan.
Also with a longer trench.

Something I’d be crazy about would be some belt loops on the proper trousers. I know they have slides adjust buttons but XS is too small for me in the thighs and waist and S is a bit too big in the waist with the asjustement. A belt would help a lot.

norsefanboi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, balmacaan got way overplayed in 2020. Not seh kelly specifically but just 2020 fashion trends in general. So selfishly I'd like something other than those.

Maybe some knitwear? I've been on the hunt for a good polo-cardigan and I'd love to see seh kelly's take on those.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cargo pants!
Only sorta kidding.
Raglan sleeve shirts!
Not kidding.

Complete Novice

Reaction score
I like the slippery slope you are going down Paul :)

I would like to buy stuff re-released from the archives so that we can get our hands on the greatest SEH Kelly pieces never seen again eg;
- natural sheep trousers
- a below the knee version of the early minimalist version of the grey top (?) coat on the SF homepage
- etc etc

And also, Frankenstein versions of your overcoats eg:
- a topcoat + tielocken = toplocken. Chesterlockens, balmalockens, parkalockens etc
- more casual versions of your more formal pieces eg chesterfield + tweed = chestertweed
- etc etc

Ok, I will stop now :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads