• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
that blue is gorgeous!

It is quite mad.

There are four different yarns at work, and each one is of the heavily flecked Donegal variety. And then the weave itself is a mix of plain and twill, which when washed, because of their different structures, shrink at different rates, making the whole thing take on this garbled appearance and a "hard to put your finger on" irregular texture.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Pretty sure I saw this fabric pattern after consuming Lysergic acid diethylamide

Indeed!

We often have a favourable reaction to materials that suggest (incorrectly) a degree of inebriation at the time of design.

To tragically paraphrase myself (but only because I get breathless talking about this material) — "it is made with merino yarn of the highest of high grades, ergo has cloud-grade bristle-free softness, the slinkiest of drapes, and an everlasting bouncy resistance to creasing. It is great all year round — it really is cool when you're warm and warm when you're cool — and is more akin to wearing a fine-gauge merino sweater than a shirt."

shirt-superfine-merino-alabaster-6s@2x.jpg
shirt-superfine-merino-alabaster-3s@2x.jpg
shirt-superfine-merino-alabaster-2s@2x.jpg
shirt-superfine-merino-cadet-blue-6s@2x.jpg
shirt-superfine-merino-cadet-blue-4s@2x.jpg
shirt-superfine-merino-cadet-blue-2s@2x.jpg

Tremendous cloth.

jalebi

Reaction score
Just having a quick search and browse, is the Balmacaan at 28oz the heaviest cloth S.E.H Kelly have used (past or present)? Wondering if I've ever missed some truly chunky heavy fabrics.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just having a quick search and browse, is the Balmacaan at 28oz the heaviest cloth S.E.H Kelly have used (past or present)? Wondering if I've ever missed some truly chunky heavy fabrics.

We have used heavier in the past (including I think a tweed used for the balmacaan two years ago).

And of those we use now, the heaviest I think is the melton used for the duffle, which is 30oz or so.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We have used heavier in the past (including I think a tweed used for the balmacaan two years ago).

And of those we use now, the heaviest I think is the melton used for the duffle, which is 30oz or so.

... and now I think about it, heavier cloths were more prevalent five or more years ago, when (this makes me sound old) winters were colder. Winter at least in London has been milder by my reckoning, in recent years, and so the really preposterous military meltons are used more sparingly.

jalebi

Reaction score
Anyone have any comments regarding sizing of the Balmacaan? Wondering if I could go for a Large or if I will need to wait till a future time when a Medium becomes available. I'm a 40.5in chest, so usually go for Medium.

Thibault S

Reaction score
Anyone have any comments regarding sizing of the Balmacaan? Wondering if I could go for a Large or if I will need to wait till a future time when a Medium becomes available. I'm a 40.5in chest, so usually go for Medium.
I own the one with mega heavy tweed from two years ago and had the chance to try on the one from last year which is lighter in fabric and so fit quite "larger". I am a 38/40 in chest and I wear a M. I love having enough room in the body, especially with coat. With the Medium I can wear a big shirt or a jumper underneath but I think a L would be great for more or heavier layers like jackets. With your 40.5 chest and regarding the fabric of the current balma, I think a L wouldn't be out of question. Depends on how you like the fit!
What do you think @sehkelly?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

The balmacaan this year is absolutely true to size. I don't think we've had one return on the grounds of sizing.

So, if you go to size L, you will have a coat ... one size too big. It's a raglan-sleeve overcoat, though, so isn't as size-specific as e.g. a tailored jacket. I happen to think they look quite good "oversized", but I'd really only consider it if you're prone to wearing lots of layer beneath.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I own the one with mega heavy tweed from two years ago and had the chance to try on the one from last year which is lighter in fabric and so fit quite "larger". I am a 38/40 in chest and I wear a M. I love having enough room in the body, especially with coat. With the Medium I can wear a big shirt or a jumper underneath but I think a L would be great for more or heavier layers like jackets. With your 40.5 chest and regarding the fabric of the current balma, I think a L wouldn't be out of question. Depends on how you like the fit!
What do you think @sehkelly?

(It's a bit different this year. We made a few adjustments here and there to hone the fit.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads