• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

augustinN

Reaction score
Very impressive cloth indeed ! Sorry if you've mentioned it already, but do you plan on using this cloth for other garments this year ?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
No sir — but we are using some cloth from the same mill for the field shirt, later this month or early next. A lighter weight, though, so while equal in colour (albeit different colour) it isn't quite so textured.

kevenmee

Reaction score
The balmacaan has landed.

It's surely the most nobbly and bobbly coat we've yet made (or at least equal to the one made with the cloth from Mourne in Northern Ireland a few years ago).

View attachment 1476297 View attachment 1476298 View attachment 1476299 View attachment 1476301 View attachment 1476302 View attachment 1476303 View attachment 1476304 View attachment 1476305 View attachment 1476306 View attachment 1476307 View attachment 1476308 View attachment 1476309 View attachment 1476310

Wonderful cloth.

The small sizes have already gone, which is both unexpected and embarrassing. Part of this was a build-up of interest on this very forum throughout September, and the other part is a very regrettable clerical error on my behalf. (The peculiar year we're all having has rattled my predictive powers, too.)

Plenty for the bigger gentlemen, however!

This makes me sad that I couldn't pick one up but happy that you guys are doing well!

Any chance the bal or the duffle coat ill come back before next year?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Well ... there are different definitions of "doing well", but I am kicking myself that we didn't make sufficient numbers in the smaller sizes. We could and should have ordered more cloth, too, but as the tweed is made to order, and we put it into work when the pandemic was looming most large, we decided to play it safe with quantities a fraction of the usual.

The duffle and balmacaan will not come back, no (we do have a decent number still in the former, though I know not every size).

The Chesterfield is up next, followed by the parka major. One or two peacoats have also come back my way this morning, and all of them are now listed online.

augustinN

Reaction score
Well ... there are different definitions of "doing well", but I am kicking myself that we didn't make sufficient numbers in the smaller sizes. We could and should have ordered more cloth, too, but as the tweed is made to order, and we put it into work when the pandemic was looming most large, we decided to play it safe with quantities a fraction of the usual.

The duffle and balmacaan will not come back, no (we do have a decent number still in the former, though I know not every size).

The Chesterfield is up next, followed by the parka major. One or two peacoats have also come back my way this morning, and all of them are now listed online.
May I ask when the Merino shirts and the crewnecks might be available ? Many thanks in advance

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The merino shirts have taken a back seat to the ongoing balmacaan / Chesterfield / parka production, which we're trying our best to steam through now (it's good to keep up momentum on the coats before switching back to shirts and trousers). I did think they'd be ready now, if not sooner, but it's now looking more like early next month.

The silver-lining of the delay is that we're making a good number of shirts in undyed, natural cotton, too — similar to the desert cotton we've used for years, but 100% cotton, and a bit thicker. They should be a good, solid entry-level (in terms of price) shirt.

The crewnecks will be finished any day now, and hopefully online either side of the weekend.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The balmacaan has landed.
It's surely the most nobbly and bobbly coat we've yet made (or at least equal to the one made with the cloth from Mourne in Northern Ireland a few years ago).

Wonderful cloth.

Man, that would be the perfect coat for any Pogue Mahone worth their salt. Not implying that the wearer would be kissing yours by default...

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
Would it be possible to make the balmacaans longer next year? I don't know if anyone else has the same problem, but being 190cm tall, the balmacaan seems very short at under 95cm. Even 10cm more, which still would not make the coat long, would make a huge difference! :) Otherwise, the coat looks amazing, and the fabric especially cozy.

Well, at least there are other coats I am looking forward to, especially the parka major, which I sadly was a bit too late for last year. I hope it will be up for sale soon!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Would it be possible to make the balmacaans longer next year? I don't know if anyone else has the same problem, but being 190cm tall, the balmacaan seems very short at under 95cm. Even 10cm more, which still would not make the coat long, would make a huge difference! :) Otherwise, the coat looks amazing, and the fabric especially cozy.

Well, at least there are other coats I am looking forward to, especially the parka major, which I sadly was a bit too late for last year. I hope it will be up for sale soon!

We've no plans to make the balmacaan any longer ... but hey — never say never!

We try to have a range of lengths of coats in the collection (among other factors) so that there's something for everyone.

The Chesterfield is being made now (which *is* noticeably longer than last year) and the parka major will be cut after that. The wheels are slowly but surely turning ...

10dence

Reaction score
Hope you run out of walnut balmacaans soon, or I'm in danger of adding a second one to my wardrobe.

How close are we to the gansey and LS polo?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
A quick progress report: the knitwear is finished and bundled on high at the workshop. I'll begin the onerous task of photographing it all tomorrow morning (weather permitting).

There's the crewneck, gansey, polo (long-sleeve) and scarf (a new variation) and balaclava and watch cap. All of them are geelong and / or merino lambswool.

The making of the Chesterfield is now at the stage where the bundles of cloth are starting to resemble actual Chesterfields, so perhaps two more days and they'll be done, too.

And production of the standard trousers has begun, too. We have some in the same motley flannel as the proper trouser from August (dark navy and a subdued green / brown shade) and some in the heavier woollen cord used for the tielocken last year. Plus some in heavy cotton canvas, since the slim trousers made in much the same cloth have nearly sold out.

That will leave ... plenty of shirts (merino and heavy undyed cotton) and the parka major and the field shirt (in Donegal tweed).

All go!

Paul

soender

Reaction score
Looking forward to a flannel trouser as standard as they come. Any revisions to the design, this time around?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Looking forward to a flannel trouser as standard as they come. Any revisions to the design, this time around?

No changes, no.

We've honed it so the belt wraps across the front more cleanly, but other than that, it's the same style as the past few years.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads