• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Might this be the barleycorn one ?

Yes and no!

It is a barleycorn tweed, and a balmacaan at that, made as part of our collection for Japan maybe 5-6 years ago. The shop is Arch in Sapporo. (The one I was thinking of was similar but different, and in fact, a trench, not a balmacaan, made around the same time or perhaps one year earlier.)

Good digging though!

It's an older version of the balmacaan with a one-piece sleeve a few smaller differences versus the current incarnation.

rasmusp

Reaction score
... but here's the balmacaan made in a very similar tweed (same yarn, same thickness, but herringbone rather than barleycorn in design).

View attachment 1466332 View attachment 1466333

It's a one-off we made for a friend.

No buttons yet!

Very nice! It would be great to see a donegal-herringbone-balmacaan in the future!

In any case, I'd potentially be interested in the balmacaan in medium so feel free to add me to "the list".

Thanks

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Do you have a time frame for the 10ply crew neck? I am interested in a green one. Wonder going for a XS or an S make more sense since I am already an S in outerwear already.

We're expecting to have them finished in two to four weeks. All of the new knitwear is being made at the same time, so some things will be at the front of that window, and some towards the back.

Generally, the heavy crewneck fits true to size, and we try to achieve a neat, snug fit, to counterbalance the preposterous thickness of the thing.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The donkey is now live over at https://www.sehkelly.com/donkey-jacket/.

Here's the black one. Quite a nice, unexpected contrast between the upper and lower sections, with the sail-cloth having a sort of faded quality (you could probably call it charcoal) and the melton being extremely deep, dark, and matte black.

donkey-jacket-woollen-melton-cotton-black-1@2x.jpg
donkey-jacket-woollen-melton-cotton-black-4@2x.jpg
donkey-jacket-woollen-melton-cotton-black-8@2x.jpg
donkey-jacket-woollen-melton-cotton-black-9@2x.jpg
donkey-jacket-woollen-melton-cotton-tobacco-5@2x.jpg
donkey-jacket-woollen-melton-cotton-tobacco-7@2x.jpg

The donkey has a seamless sleeve — with the entire upper section tied up at the centre-back — which makes it very good in the rain. It also gives a soft, raglan look to the shoulder, but without the using diagonal shoulder seams getting in the way of the design.

RozenKristal

Reaction score
We're expecting to have them finished in two to four weeks. All of the new knitwear is being made at the same time, so some things will be at the front of that window, and some towards the back.

Generally, the heavy crewneck fits true to size, and we try to achieve a neat, snug fit, to counterbalance the preposterous thickness of the thing.

A snug fit is a good fit, at least for me. I don't see myself wearing it over an oxford considering it is 10 ply. I still haven't worn the cord cedar jacket yet :( So many good jackets I need to rotate this year.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
View attachment 1469514

Have the shirts arrived?

Sincerely
A Mob of wooly ruminant quadrupeds

Ha!

No, not yet. We're still working through the balmacaans — they're taking longer than expected because the cloth is so thick — and then a couple of other coats, so the shirts are a few weeks away yet.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is the cloth thicker than previous year ?

It is, yes. It's not really noticeable until you stack several layers of the cloth together, and this took me rather by surprise. The front of the coat, for instance, which has the facing, fly pieces, and front (about six layers of cloth, off the top of my head) is about 5mm thicker on the new coat than on the one last year. It doesn't sound like much, but it makes it harder to squeeze such parts of the cloth beneath the machine (and of course still achieve a good, finessed finish).

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We've actually done away with that row of stitching entirely this year. The hem at the sleeve is now hand-sewn (felled) which doesn't show through to the outside. I haven't had chance to update the photograph yet.

Just to tie up discussion from last week, here's the new cuff on the duffle coat. We cleaned it up by hand-felling the hem (so no external stitching) and made the second degree of tightness pretty ... tight, to really lock out the cold.

duffle-coat-wool-melton-dark-navy-8@2x.jpg
duffle-coat-wool-melton-camel-17@2x.jpg

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The balmacaan has landed.

It's surely the most nobbly and bobbly coat we've yet made (or at least equal to the one made with the cloth from Mourne in Northern Ireland a few years ago).

balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-brown-4s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-brown-15s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-navy-2s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-navy-8s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-brown-12s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-brown-2s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-navy-7s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-navy-5s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-navy-4s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-brown-7s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-brown-9s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-brown-8s@2x.jpg
balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-brown-6s@2x.jpg

Wonderful cloth.

The small sizes have already gone, which is both unexpected and embarrassing. Part of this was a build-up of interest on this very forum throughout September, and the other part is a very regrettable clerical error on my behalf. (The peculiar year we're all having has rattled my predictive powers, too.)

Plenty for the bigger gentlemen, however!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads