• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moimael

Reaction score
Cheers! I struggle coming to terms with higher breaks on single-breasted coats of this ilk. I think as a tall, thin person they increase the likelihood of my being mistaken for a pencil.

Does the lower gorge mean a lower button stance as well? Or did you shorten the lapels? (I don't mind a lower gorge but they look very low here, maybe because the gorge isn't an open notch)

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Does the lower gorge mean a lower button stance as well? Or did you shorten the lapels? (I don't mind a lower gorge but they look very low here, maybe because the gorge isn't an open notch)

Both. Compared to the Chesterfield last year (e.g. https://www.sehkelly.com/chesterfield-in-woollen-bedford-cord-in-charcoal/) the gorge is an inch lower (more akin now to https://www.sehkelly.com/tielocken-in-woollen-bedford-cord-in-malt/) and likewise the break (thus the starting point for the buttons).

We like to stretch and squeeze proportions this way and that.

Gordoo

Reaction score
Any update on when the tielocken will roll out? Colors and material? Also, any chance of the topcoat making a comeback this year? Sorry if questions have been answered.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any update on when the tielocken will roll out? Colors and material? Also, any chance of the topcoat making a comeback this year? Sorry if questions have been answered.

These are new questions to me at least!

The tielocken is having a well-earned break, but should make an appearance next year (around this time, I should think).

The topcoat, however, has been retired, and won't come back again. Its best parts will find their way into other coats and jackets over time.

augustinN

Reaction score
Hello ! I seem to remember that some new shirts were announced for the end of August, are they still in the cards ? Or am I mistaken ?
Thanks and cheers

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You're not mistaken, sir.

We have a bunch of new shirts *just made* — in corduroy and in moleskin. They need the final few touches, and buttons, but they should be online by this time next week if not before.

And then we have some others, which we'll start making in a few weeks (they're the same shirt as the newly made ones, but with different collars which took / are taking longer to get right than intended). The pick of the cloth for these is this a super-fine merino oxford, woven just for us, which we have in this colour (below) and a mottled blue / navy.

aw20-fox-merino-cloth-2@2x.jpg
aw20-fox-merino-cloth-1@2x.jpg

It is incredibly fine and soft, and being merino has the miraculous "warm when you're cold; cool when you're hot" property.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The moleskin shirts have the standard collar, which we've done for many years. However, as with the rest of the shirt, we've refined it so that it's a *slightly* different shape, and has a tendency more now to lie slightly convex than concave. More like an overshirt collar, I guess (inadvertently pretty close to https://www.sehkelly.com/field-shirt-in-cotton-linen-hopsack-in-cobalt-blue/).

The corduroy shirt will have the granddad (i.e. no) collar.

And then the new ones, which are still yet to be made, will have a button-down collar, but with the buttons hidden. The shape will be the same as the standard collar, but slightly larger and extended at the front to counterbalance the effect of the button-downing.

And one last one — a semi-cutaway collar, with the same gentle curve to its tips as the standard collar.

augustinN

Reaction score
Thanks for all the details on the new merino shirts, looking forward to seeing them ! So they should land by the end of September, or is it too early to tell?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the details on the new merino shirts, looking forward to seeing them ! So they should land by the end of September, or is it too early to tell?

Any time!

It is always very heartening to have people interested in what we do.

The cord and moleskin ones are finished so should be online next week. The others ... yes, I'd say towards the end of September, depending on how much progress we make with other things (the peacoat, duffle, balmacaan, field shirt, Chesterfield, etc. etc.).

Thomas_M

Reaction score
You're not mistaken, sir.

We have a bunch of new shirts *just made* — in corduroy and in moleskin. They need the final few touches, and buttons, but they should be online by this time next week if not before.

And then we have some others, which we'll start making in a few weeks (they're the same shirt as the newly made ones, but with different collars which took / are taking longer to get right than intended). The pick of the cloth for these is this a super-fine merino oxford, woven just for us, which we have in this colour (below) and a mottled blue / navy.

View attachment 1450921 View attachment 1450922

It is incredibly fine and soft, and being merino has the miraculous "warm when you're cold; cool when you're hot" property.

A Fox super-fine merino oxford in a natural colour like this, count me in =)

SLieber967

Reaction score
Any chance of the woolen bedford cord coming back from last AW? Looking forward to the merino shirts

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads