• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Within two months, I hope. It is the final development to be worked on (we are making some changes to the one from two years ago). Once we've finished the changes and made a sample to test them, then it'll join the queue for production.

The cloth, at least, is already ready: it's the same thick sail-cloth as the slim trousers from late last month (but other colours).

So not rainproof this time around?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So not rainproof this time around?

Oh yes — it is for sure excellent in the rain, the cotton sail-cloth.

I hope I'm not crossing shopkeeper-client privilege when I report the following feedback from last week ...

"I just pulled the umber sail-cloth trousers from the hand-wash and they appear to be nearly waterproof! The water just poured off them and seems as if hardly any was absorbed into the material after a 30-minute cycle. I assumed the “sail-cloth” was more a descriptive term than literal! Just dropping that note. Sure you’re aware of this fabric’s qualities. Took me by surprise."

icasio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yes — it is for sure excellent in the rain, the cotton sail-cloth.

I hope I'm not crossing shopkeeper-client privilege when I report the following feedback from last week ...

"I just pulled the umber sail-cloth trousers from the hand-wash and they appear to be nearly waterproof! The water just poured off them and seems as if hardly any was absorbed into the material after a 30-minute cycle. I assumed the “sail-cloth” was more a descriptive term than literal! Just dropping that note. Sure you’re aware of this fabric’s qualities. Took me by surprise."
No shopkeeper breach of privacy there! All good! I've now given the umber trousers a couple of washes and it's as if the water wants nothing to do with them. I live in the PNW and would def trust this material to hold up in rainy conditions as outerwear.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You should add that to the sales pitch! It was enough to push me over the edge in picking up the umber pair although to be honest I was looking for any excuse.

I must admit I've always been of the mind that the quality of "weatherproof" when it comes to leg-wear might be off-putting.

For people who just want an easy pair of cotton trousers, I mean. Makes them sound a little ... high-performance, or technical, or uncomfortable.

Am I alone on this?!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
No shopkeeper breach of privacy there! All good! I've now given the umber trousers a couple of washes and it's as if the water wants nothing to do with them. I live in the PNW and would def trust this material to hold up in rainy conditions as outerwear.

Hurray!

That's good.

We are using it for the parka (in, if i remember my notes rightly, dark navy and mustard) and the top-half of the donkey jacket (in black and umber, with a tonal / complementary lower half of woollen melton).

icasio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must admit I've always been of the mind that the quality of "weatherproof" when it comes to leg-wear might be off-putting.

For people who just want an easy pair of cotton trousers, I mean. Makes them sound a little ... high-performance, or technical, or uncomfortable.

Am I alone on this?!
I agree with this. And truth be told, if it weren't for the silky lining in these, they wouldn't be quite as comfortable. But that lining makes them a joy to slide into. Was just showing this detail off to the wifey yesterday. She was a bit jealous of that.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I agree with this. And truth be told, if it weren't for the silky lining in these, they wouldn't be quite as comfortable. But that lining makes them a joy to slide into. Was just showing this detail off to the wifey yesterday. She was a bit jealous of that.

Brilliant.

It is a tough cloth, but when you compare it to raw denim, it's not a million miles different.

We do go all-in on our trousers! We try to, anyway. There's a chap at the factory who takes them very seriously, and he's been a great help in upgrading them to a level comparable to our jackets and coats.

WizardVigilante

Reaction score

Am I alone on this?!

As long as it's still natural fibers I would not be put off, especially given my local climate.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
And here we go, better late than never — the trucker jacket is now up at http://sehkelly.com/shop.

trucker-jacket-bedford-cord-rust-2@2x.jpg
trucker-jacket-bedford-cord-rust-3@2x.jpg
trucker-jacket-bedford-cord-rust-10@2x.jpg
trucker-jacket-bedford-cord-rust-11@2x.jpg
trucker-jacket-bedford-cord-rust-9@2x.jpg
trucker-jacket-bedford-cord-rust-13@2x.jpg

10dence

Reaction score
Well, now I too had to go and order a pair of the umber ones, thanks in large part to this thread. Including the weatherproofiness in the description would have sold it for me earlier.
When it's raining sideways and from below you appreciate those qualities in a pair of trousers too. Even more so when riding a bike.

Edit: Nice jacket!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Well, now I too had to go and order a pair of the umber ones, thanks in large part to this thread. Including the weatherproofiness in the description would have sold it for me earlier.
When it's raining sideways and from below you appreciate those qualities in a pair of trousers too. Even more so when riding a bike.

Edit: Nice jacket!

Many thanks.

And so the "weatherproof is a good thing" movement gathers pace ...

moimael

Reaction score

Am I alone on this?!

I would say I'm one of those who are wary of weatherproof trousers. I'm getting warm easily and usually weatherproof means, "it doesn't breath well".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads