• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
looks very good! I think I asked you before, but do you have any plans for the Parka Major in that fabric this year? Need a good "rain coat", but not set on style.

Not that fabric, but another fabric (as reply above).

But the parka major surely will appear in that fabric, one day. We tend to flit between weatherproof cottons and the weatherproof ripstop for our raincoats, so give it a year or two and a parka major in the latter is all but certain to show up.

10dence

Reaction score
Speaking of weatherproof coats and jackets, is there any room for weatherproof trousers?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Speaking of weatherproof coats and jackets, is there any room for weatherproof trousers?

Not too likely, I must admit. I mean, the very thick tweed and woollen trousers we make sometimes are weatherproof, but if you had a lighter material in mind, I don't think it's on the cards. We have made them in the past, in Ventile and weatherproof ripstop, but those were requested exclusives ("collaborations") which shops in Japan, and were never really my cup of matcha. At least with the weatherproof materials to which we have access (ones madfe in the British Isles, I mean) you end up with a very stiff and crease-prone trouser, that doesn't look too sharp after a few wears.

Sorry!

As an alternative suggestions, the shorts at https://www.sehkelly.com/shorts-in-cotton-stay-wax-in-copper/ are weatherproof, if you have extremely short legs and / or ready access to knee-high weatherproof socks.

10dence

Reaction score
What if you sew several pairs together into a full length trouser? Something to think of if you can't get rid of them all.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What if you sew several pairs together into a full length trouser? Something to think of if you can't get rid of them all.

An eminently sensible suggestion.

In other sewing news, I am heading to the shirt factory tomorrow to check on progress of the popover (which was cancelled, a few weeks back, or at least postponed for a year, but then we had a change of heart, what with the many summery days ahead of us).

And shirts — I photographed a few of them the other day, and here they are. This is the linen suiting, which in my opinion is as good as linen shirting (ironically) ever gets, at least at the sturdier end of the spectrum.

shirt-granddad-linen-suiting-cork-worn-1s@2x.jpg

shirt-granddad-linen-suiting-cork-worn-7s@2x.jpg
shirt-granddad-linen-suiting-cork-worn-5s@2x.jpg
shirt-granddad-linen-suiting-cork-worn-3s@2x.jpg
shirt-granddad-linen-suiting-dark-navy-worn-5@2x.jpg
shirt-granddad-linen-suiting-dark-navy-worn-2s@2x.jpg
shirt-granddad-linen-suiting-dark-navy-worn-1s@2x.jpg

The upcoming popover aforementioned is built on the same body as the above, but looser in certain areas, and of course you yank it over your bonce rather than button it up the front.

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I trust everyone is having a pleasant weekend.

I hear from the factory that the first batch of popover shirts is complete, and requires my attention in person tomorrow to determine where exactly the button (singular) at the neck should go — or indeed, whether it should have a button at all, and instead have a proudly open neck through which the breeze can freely pass.

In the meantime, here's another garment being worn: this time the pyjama top in heavy burlap. Mostly sold out now, admittely (you do get these bottlenecks between production and marketing as a small operation) — at least in this material.

pyjama-top-linen-burlap-dark-navy-worn-1s@2x.jpg
pyjama-top-linen-burlap-dark-navy-worn-2s@2x.jpg
pyjama-top-linen-burlap-dark-navy-worn-4s@2x.jpg
pyjama-top-linen-burlap-dark-navy-worn-3s@2x.jpg

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Things -- they don't get any newer than this. It's the popover shirt, which ought to appear on our website by the end of the week.

popover-grey-worn-1@2x.jpg

(This is a sample of it, actually, and the finished version has a pocket with flap at the chest.)

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
oh, I really like that plain version, though!

Interesting!

It was always meant to have a pocket, but development was interrupted and curtailed when coronavirus was looming.

When things partially resumed a month or two later, the pocket was forgotten about, and its absence only noticed when that sample was complete.

I've always seen the popover through the lens of a holiday shirt, when it never hurts to have an extra pocket handy (boom-tish). So the pocket was restored.

NO MERCY

Reaction score
Things -- they don't get any newer than this. It's the popover shirt, which ought to appear on our website by the end of the week.

View attachment 1399755 View attachment 1399756

(This is a sample of it, actually, and the finished version has a pocket with flap at the chest.)

Will the first batch of popover shirts be in the same grey linen(?) as this sample?

And where did you land with the pocket? Or rather where did the pocket land on the shirt? Will it be dropped similarly to the pyjama top?

Looks great, btw.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Will the first batch of popover shirts be in the same grey linen(?) as this sample?

And where did you land with the pocket? Or rather where did the pocket land on the shirt? Will it be dropped similarly to the pyjama top?

Looks great, btw.

The same linen in grey, yes, as well as a rusty brown one. It is linen suiting so is quite thick, and drapes very smartly (and creases in the best possible way).

Plus a natural / off-white, in a different and more earthy grade of linen (likewise from Northern Ireland).

The chest pocket is aligned with the base of the neck opening. It's probably slightly lower than is traditional, but not really noticeably so. The pyjama top has a relatively lower pocket, that's for sure.

Very glad you like it!

WizardVigilante

Reaction score
Finally able to make it to the tailor, who usually deals in bespoke, with my navy tropical wool SB3 with matching trousers and car coat. The tailor was taken aback, to paraphrase "I hate to compliment off the rack suits but that is very nice.". Similar compliments on the material, and on my taste when I tried on the car coat. I asked if the car coat should be tapered and was told I'd ruin a lovely coat with a small lecture on proper fit so I think you have a reluctant fan there. I've had a fair portion of my wardrobe altered as I'm an unusual fit and never had quite that experience before.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads