• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any pictures of the car coat worn?

Annoyingly, no -- at least not by my fair hands. I forgot to include it when we had our little photo-shoot last month. The plan is to take a few more photographs towards the end of the month, for the car coat, smock, and boatneck, none of which have yet been captured in the wild.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's wild, never thought that you guys would go with a rolled neck, so louche!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That's wild, never thought that you guys would go with a rolled neck, so louche!

I somehow associate boatnecks with nautical life (must be the name) and both of them with rolled edges.

It is also a classic example of something louche-looking being more work than not doing it. We did have a rolled edge at the cuff, too, in the original sample, but it would have pushed up the price too much.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
More things which are new -- this time the smock, which was known as the henley before today, and was before that known as the "sort of popover or pullover thing which is really simple."

It's not actually as simple as it looks. This is true both in the actual sense -- it has a set-in placket, darts in the elbow, huge diamond-shape gussets under the arm, and vents like the back of a coat on either side (most or all of which helps to make it as easy as possible to slide on and off).

It also proved true in the process sense, as we find it trickier to be confident about ostensibly simple "basics" than things like parkas or trench coats. (Perhaps this is like how it is easier in some ways to make a good dish from twenty ingredients than it is a steak or omelette cooks just right. I dunno.)

smock-silk-linen-poplin-lapis-blue-0s@2x.jpg
smock-silk-linen-poplin-lapis-blue-5s@2x.jpg
smock-silk-linen-poplin-chalk-2s@2x.jpg
smock-silk-linen-poplin-chalk-3s@2x.jpg
smock-linen-cambric-clay-2s@2x.jpg
smock-linen-cambric-clay-0s@2x.jpg
smock-linen-cambric-clay-4s@2x.jpg
smock-linen-cambric-clay-6s@2x.jpg
smock-linen-cambric-hadal-blue-3s@2x.jpg
smock-linen-cambric-hadal-blue-2s@2x.jpg
smock-linen-cambric-hadal-blue-5s@2x.jpg

Anyway, there's a linen cambric version and a lighter-weight silk-linen poplin version. I expected to champion the latter more than the former, as the cloth is delightful, but in eventuality, it is the all-linen version that I think I prefer the most, perhaps because it holds its shape a little better (at least on the hanger).

Paul

countrygent

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm very intrigued by the smock and its simplicity. Any thoughts of offering a pair of pants built along similar lines, perhaps with a drawstring? I'm thinking in terms of lazy days around the house, or perhaps work from home - something clean-lined and unfussy to throw on with some espadrilles.

Cheers,
Harry

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm very intrigued by the smock and its simplicity. Any thoughts of offering a pair of pants built along similar lines, perhaps with a drawstring? I'm thinking in terms of lazy days around the house, or perhaps work from home - something clean-lined and unfussy to throw on with some espadrilles.

Cheers,
Harry

I like the suggestion!

The smock (and popover shirt and pyjama top and to a lesser extent the cryogenically frozen trucker jacket) came about because we were a little unbalanced this time last year. Too many coats and substantial jackets, I mean, and not much to say about the warmer times year. So we put some effort into broadening the collection in the simpler and lighter direction.

We don't have much currently by way of casual, breezy leg-wear, except for shorts, and while I'd be a fool to say never, it's not something on the cards for now.

Our general frame of style is a bit smarter, I guess, if that's the right phrase (I don't mean in a disparaging way) or at least more structured. The smock is quite unstructured to look at, it's true, but with the gussets and vents and darts it has quite a lot of "engineering" in the cutting to enhance the experience for the wearer. I don't immediately see the potential for that in a casual trouser, but ... well, hey, never say never.

I think I am post-rationalising, the more I type, just because it's not something I'm hugely drawn to right now. But the more wardrobe niches we fill, as we go on, the more likely we'll have a good idea in that direction. And then I'll look back at this reply and realise my ignorance!

Your point about working from home is especially astute, and something I should certainly be thinking more about.

countrygent

Reaction score
Thanks for the thorough response! I do see that trousers with a drawstring might be a bridge too far relative to your general aesthetic. I wonder though if some light, breezy, simple trousers might be of interest, particularly if they could incorporate some of the subtle engineering you do so well! A thought for the future perhaps.

Best,
Harry

I like the suggestion!

The smock (and popover shirt and pyjama top and to a lesser extent the cryogenically frozen trucker jacket) came about because we were a little unbalanced this time last year. Too many coats and substantial jackets, I mean, and not much to say about the warmer times year. So we put some effort into broadening the collection in the simpler and lighter direction.

We don't have much currently by way of casual, breezy leg-wear, except for shorts, and while I'd be a fool to say never, it's not something on the cards for now.

Our general frame of style is a bit smarter, I guess, if that's the right phrase (I don't mean in a disparaging way) or at least more structured. The smock is quite unstructured to look at, it's true, but with the gussets and vents and darts it has quite a lot of "engineering" in the cutting to enhance the experience for the wearer. I don't immediately see the potential for that in a casual trouser, but ... well, hey, never say never.

I think I am post-rationalising, the more I type, just because it's not something I'm hugely drawn to right now. But the more wardrobe niches we fill, as we go on, the more likely we'll have a good idea in that direction. And then I'll look back at this reply and realise my ignorance!

Your point about working from home is especially astute, and something I should certainly be thinking more about.

wabi-sabi

Reaction score
Any pictures of the car coat worn?

not much of a good picture, but here are a few pictures of the carcoat in weatherproof ripstop with the granddad collar shirt in linen suiting and the slim trouser worn under. hope this helps.

Attachments

• 9CEE7DE9-F7FE-48A5-B3FB-720F65527BC8.jpeg
    9CEE7DE9-F7FE-48A5-B3FB-720F65527BC8.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 6B035F8C-5F9A-4785-9127-EBEABCBE3569.jpeg
    6B035F8C-5F9A-4785-9127-EBEABCBE3569.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 33F10B91-8A29-49EF-A614-2C47957509F0.jpeg
    33F10B91-8A29-49EF-A614-2C47957509F0.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 235
  • FAED0B5B-805E-46EF-8665-0BA2054A520C.jpeg
    FAED0B5B-805E-46EF-8665-0BA2054A520C.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 221

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads