• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@gettoasty

I'm a fan of the top half of the proper trousers, but you're right that they do drape better when the leg is pulled up about a half inch. While I normally take an inseam a bit longer than the SEH Kelly pants, the wide leg on these, coupled with the stiffness of the cloth, may justify an alteration to the norm. These do drape much differently than my other SEH Kelly trousers, which are slimmer in the leg, made of standard (less rigid) corduroy, and have the same inseam. My plan for now is to wear the pants a bit to see if breaking in the cloth will improve the drape. If not, then shortening the inseam might be the solution.

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Cheers for taking the time and trouble to pose!

Looks very comfortable.

Trousers are a pain to photograph (hence the paucity on our own website, I expect) but they look great above the thigh (as you know) and the rest is just the weird bunching and perspective (as you know) that blights every photo-shoot I've ever done with wide trousers that aren't rolled up or shortened.

Thibault S

Reaction score
Being a proper trousers regular wearer, I must admit I don't understand how yours can have this shape. If the boots have a impact on the fit, I would recommend to maybe turn the hem up so the legs are just above the shoes and so the trousers keeps his majestic shape and purpose :)

Thibault S

Reaction score
Oups, I somehow didn't see the lot of comments between mine and the posted photo. Sorry for sayin' what was already said just before me :)

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@zenosparadox : this is not the Bedford cord you're wearing but the Heavy Moleskin in clay brown ...

No, these are definitely the Bedford cords, as listed here.

Cheers for taking the time and trouble to pose!

Looks very comfortable.

Trousers are a pain to photograph (hence the paucity on our own website, I expect) but they look great above the thigh (as you know) and the rest is just the weird bunching and perspective (as you know) that blights every photo-shoot I've ever done with wide trousers that aren't rolled up or shortened.

Yes, I think I may have misrepresented the purpose of my post. My purpose wasn't to post something to show how good I looked in the clothes, but rather to show how the clothes looked despite the posture, styling, and photographic ability of the wearer. I just stood still, as rigidly as one does when one generally avoids photos, and had my wife snap two pictures, which I then made no effort to critique or retake. For what it's worth, the aforementioned wife thinks the pants look good in motion. As she's the only person likely to see me for the next month or so of isolation, I'll take that as permission to continue.

Oups, I somehow didn't see the lot of comments between mine and the posted photo. Sorry for sayin' what was already said just before me :)

Yes, I think both you and Paul had the problem exactly right. Again, I just haphazardly put the clothes on in order to put a body in the clothes. The wide-mouthed boots coupled with the wide leg (and my not looking before snapping) are the real culprit here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
No, these are definitely the Bedford cords, as listed here.

Yes, I think I may have misrepresented the purpose of my post. My purpose wasn't to post something to show how good I looked in the clothes, but rather to show how the clothes looked despite the posture, styling, and photographic ability of the wearer. I just stood still, as rigidly as one does when one generally avoids photos, and had my wife snap two pictures, which I then made no effort to critique or retake. For what it's worth, the aforementioned wife thinks the pants look good in motion. As she's the only person likely to see me for the next month or so of isolation, I'll take that as permission to continue.

Yes, I think both you and Paul had the problem exactly right. Again, I just haphazardly put the clothes on in order to put a body in the clothes. The wide-mouthed boots coupled with the wide leg (and my not looking before snapping) are the real culprit here.

Good points well made!

wabi-sabi

Reaction score
Hi Paul
I am really interested in the weatherproof ripstop fabric.

I read that this fabric is a synthetic of poly and meta aramid fibres.
aramid fibres are said to degrade when exposed to ultraviolet rays, so should I spray it with something like the 'molecule protector'? it's a spray that protects aramid fibres. Or should I just be careful not to go out under the sunlight too much.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Paul
I am really interested in the weatherproof ripstop fabric.

I read that this fabric is a synthetic of poly and meta aramid fibres.
aramid fibres are said to degrade when exposed to ultraviolet rays, so should I spray it with something like the 'molecule protector'? it's a spray that protects aramid fibres. Or should I just be careful not to go out under the sunlight too much.

That's a great question, and one which I've never encountered or even thought about before.

The short answer is "no".

I've never known a cloth so fade-proof, crease-proof, or indeed environment-proof as the weatherproof ripstop. Its colourfastness is second-to-none. I have a coat made in the "cosmos" colour, and have worn it routinely, in downpour and sunshine alike, for the best part of three years. It has been washed three or four times. Its colour hasn't changed one jot.

The mill that makes the cloth advises that the cloth may be washed at 100ºc. Of course, that's not something I'd suggest, given any coat of ours made with it also contains horn buttons and some sort of lining material ... but it gives you some indication of its all-round sturdiness.

It's also a cloth that is used for uniforms for some emergency services (such as some regional fire brigades in the UK, and beyond) -- which again, I hope, gives some indication as to its ability to look good and smart for a long time, and after many a wear and wash and wash and wear.

I can't speak for the spray you mention, but at least in the case here, it isn't necessary.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We've slowly but surely been receiving and putting online some new knitwear.

The delivery of polos was last week, along with a couple of v-necks and cardigans.

One of the colours of cardigan is this: a sort of grey-green colour which might very well go under the title "seaweed". It's a marled yarn (which you can see if you zoom into the below) whereas most of the time with our knitwear, we mix together two different colours of yarn to create the marled effect. A fine distinction!

ss20-cardigan-1@2x.jpg

Hopefully, next week, the knitted boatneck will be delivered. That's the one about which I'm most excited.

twdawson

Reaction score
One of the colours of cardigan is this: a sort of grey-green colour which might very well go under the title "seaweed". It's a marled yarn (which you can see if you zoom into the below) whereas most of the time with our knitwear, we mix together two different colours of yarn to create the marled effect. A fine distinction!

Love that color, will it be used for anything else other than a cardigan?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Love that color, will it be used for anything else other than a cardigan?

Not this time around, frustratingly.

I haven't previously been very fond of marled yarns (not sure why) so we didn't use them for very much: just the cardigan in this colour as well as a blue-navy marl.

The cardigan has turned out nicely, however, so the same yarn is sure to appear on other things ... next year (sigh).

Incremental improvement, learn, incremental improvement, learn ...

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Rather an uphill struggle, the past week, and not much to report on any front. The good news, though, is that we've had a fresh delivery of knitted goods confirmed for Wednesday, and also reports that the henley (still a working-title for the new pullover / smock / thingumybob) is finished.

Plenty for me to be photographing, then, over the next ten days.

*And* we've a handful of photographs of things being worn outside the workshop. New things, at that, which is handy, as neither the pyjama top or the engineer jacket have yet been photographed in the wild. The latter in particular I find an eminently wearable thing: quite unusual, both in basic styling and in construction, but very easy and comfortable to wear.

engineer-jacket-cotton-canvas-green-worn-1@2x.jpg
engineer-jacket-cotton-canvas-green-worn-2@2x.jpg

engineer-jacket-cotton-canvas-green-worn-3@2x.jpg

pyjama-top-merino-cotton-lead-grey-worn-1@2x.jpg
pyjama-top-merino-cotton-lead-grey-worn-4@2x.jpg

I hope everyone is hanging in there, in one way or another.

Paul

Oldsrocket27

Reaction score
Those are probably some of the most appealing pieces of yours I've seen, particularly the engineer jacket. It's not just another chore coat. The baseball jersey-like neckline is a draw IMO, as is the unique pocket configuration. A lot of people here go nuts for boxy and/or traditionally cut designs by brands like Lemaire and Evan Kinori with minor tweaks and details that neither enhance their designs nor create interest, and I think you do an excellent job in the same aesthetic space making clothing that is both more interesting and equally, if not more, practical.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads