• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pendragon

Reaction score
I admire your clothes, although I've never found anything to suit me.
But what I really admire is your descriptive copy. The voice is so distinctive, and matches the merchandise so well that I browse your site for the pleasure of reading it.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I admire your clothes, although I've never found anything to suit me.
But what I really admire is your descriptive copy. The voice is so distinctive, and matches the merchandise so well that I browse your site for the pleasure of reading it.

Many thanks.

We never stop thinking how to improve things, or do things as well as can be, or do them differently, and it's good that you can see some of the enthusiasm spilling out onto the screen!

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what colors / materials are being used for the shopcoat?

The shopcoat ought to appear on the website over the weekend (at least in one colour).

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
what colors / materials are being used for the shopcoat?

It's the same cotton-linen hopsack as the field shirt last week (https://sehkel.ly/field-shirt-grey and https://sehkel.ly/field-shirt-malt, but not https://sehkel.ly/field-shirt-blue as we had only enough cloth for three or four garments total).

A supremely sturdy material, such that the shopcoat has similar properties to the work jacket in canopy cotton or heavy corduroy — i.e. bulletproof-seeming.

I posted photographs of the grey one a few days ago (a few posts previous, I guess) and here's the malt-flavoured one. Both of them ought to be online by the end of the day.

shopcoat-cotton-linen-hopsack-malt-3@2x.jpg
shopcoat-cotton-linen-hopsack-malt-14@2x.jpg
shopcoat-cotton-linen-hopsack-malt-10@2x.jpg
shopcoat-cotton-linen-hopsack-malt-9@2x.jpg
shopcoat-cotton-linen-hopsack-malt-8@2x.jpg
shopcoat-cotton-linen-hopsack-malt-7@2x.jpg
shopcoat-cotton-linen-hopsack-malt-6@2x.jpg
shopcoat-cotton-linen-hopsack-malt-4@2x.jpg

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How deep would you say the balmacaan pockets are?

They're deep.

The net depth of the pocket bag is over 11 inches. You access the full depth of that (from the top) via the internal jet pocket, and about three-quarters that amount via the external welt-style pockets.

Two entry-points; one pocket-bag.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there any chance to see that model and fabric come back for next winter ?

I just completely fell in love ...

Regards

Not that exact version, sorry, no ...

The balmacaan is all but certain to make a comeback this autumn, but the style will be the same as the most recent listed at https://www.sehkelly.com/balmacaan/. It is mostly the same, but tweaked here and there, ostensibly to make it more unique and interesting in terms of design.

The cloth we're highly unlikely to use again, but again — similar things will reappear. We love Donegal tweed and have used it most years for the past decade. I daresay it'll make a return this year — though perhaps not on the balmacaan — and in similar sorts of colours.

Sorry not to be more precise! We don't plan as far ahead as perhaps others.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Not that exact version, sorry, no ...

The balmacaan is all but certain to make a comeback this autumn, but the style will be the same as the most recent listed at https://www.sehkelly.com/balmacaan/. It is mostly the same, but tweaked here and there, ostensibly to make it more unique and interesting in terms of design.

The cloth we're highly unlikely to use again, but again — similar things will reappear. We love Donegal tweed and have used it most years for the past decade. I daresay it'll make a return this year — though perhaps not on the balmacaan — and in similar sorts of colours.

Sorry not to be more precise! We don't plan as far ahead as perhaps others.

Thanks for your answer. Mystery is part of the myth !

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Consternation is rife at the workshop this morning, as it transpires not only have we made a jacket in green. Not even a subdued, murky green, but one that is actually, very discernibly green.

It's the new engineer jacket!

engineer-lovat-2@2x.jpg

There'll be a dark navy one, too. Phew.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
A few more of the new engineer jacket.

engineer-jacket-cotton-canvas-dark-navy-2@2x.jpg
engineer-jacket-cotton-canvas-green-3@2x.jpg
engineer-jacket-cotton-canvas-dark-navy-4@2x.jpg
engineer-jacket-cotton-canvas-green-6@2x.jpg
engineer-jacket-cotton-canvas-green-7@2x.jpg
engineer-jacket-cotton-canvas-dark-navy-10@2x.jpg

It has more curves, here and there, than our usual.

And it has as type of "grown-on" sleeve, where the sleeve isn't a separate piece of the garment, but rather an extension of the body. In this case, what looks like the shoulder seam runs over the shoulder, and rather than looping back under the arm at the back, instead streaks all the way down the back. And the main pockets (which are a little like we've done on the work jacket) run into that seam.

You can tell I'm tying my fingers in knots trying to explain this. Sounds complicated but hopefully has a simple-enough appearance.

Online by the end of the day, I hope.

NO MERCY

Reaction score
Pictures look great and maybe because of the knots you've tied your fingers into I find myself intrigued by this one when collarless jackets are not usually my thing (especially when said collars are as well crafted as yours tend to be).

Also tempted to buy one just to provide some positive reinforcement to your exploration of color. I'd like to see that "subdued, murky" predilection applied to hues other than blue, brown, and grey.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads