• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

10dence

Reaction score
The speed with which you reply is industry-leading. I look forward to more pictures, I'm not sure if my budget allows for more than one piece of SS outerwear so I want to consider all options before I strike.
Not that you haven't previously persuaded me to get more than I had originally planned for...

kevenmee

Reaction score
The speed with which you reply is industry-leading. I look forward to more pictures, I'm not sure if my budget allows for more than one piece of SS outerwear so I want to consider all options before I strike.
Not that you haven't previously persuaded me to get more than I had originally planned for...

Agreed - sad that I haven't stumbled upon this thread sooner. Also, not entirely sure if @sehkelly sleeps...?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Not quite outerwear, but very sturdy all the same -- we've added two new colours of the field shirt in union hopsack.

field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-blue-0s@2x.jpg
field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-blue-3s@2x.jpg
field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-blue-4s@2x.jpg
field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-blue-12s@2x.jpg
field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-malt-8@2x.jpg
field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-malt-10.jpg
field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-malt-7.jpg
field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-malt-2.jpg

The blue is very contrary to our usual brand of murky colours: disconcerting to say the least.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have any sneak peeks to offer for the yet unreleased outerwear?

I'm still waiting for a sneak peek of the geelong underwear with hidden pocket and removable belt (for those who love action).

espen

Reaction score
Those pyjama tops sold out (in large) wonderfully fast! Any chance of another run being crafted?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Those pyjama tops sold out (in large) wonderfully fast! Any chance of another run being crafted?

In the linen burlap there's half a chance. I'll make a note and drop you a line if / when they come around again.

Thomas_M

Reaction score
So can someone buy the balmacaans before I make a mistake?
I have been thinking about the Balmacaan for a long time as well.
Looks like the perfect coat for my personal use case.I don't spend a lot of time outside and I need something practical and comfortable (So I don't need to take it off when driving for example).
From what I can see, the Balmacaan is :
Easy to wear and really comfortable with the raglan sleeve and being half-lined
Can easily be dressed up or down.
Nice collar that can protect the neck when up and looks smart when down.
Pockets that are easy access for keys, wallets, etc.
Allows for layering so it can cover a large range of temperatures.

So yeah, I am really waiting for the next batch.
Paul, do you know when that would be and what colour/material will be used?

Cheers.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have been thinking about the Balmacaan for a long time as well.
Looks like the perfect coat for my personal use case.I don't spend a lot of time outside and I need something practical and comfortable (So I don't need to take it off when driving for example).
From what I can see, the Balmacaan is :
Easy to wear and really comfortable with the raglan sleeve and being half-lined
Can easily be dressed up or down.
Nice collar that can protect the neck when up and looks smart when down.
Pockets that are easy access for keys, wallets, etc.
Allows for layering so it can cover a large range of temperatures.

So yeah, I am really waiting for the next batch.
Paul, do you know when that would be and what colour/material will be used?

Cheers.

Thanks for the astute and complimentary analysis!

I am fairly sure we will make the balmacaan again for the coming autumn (not before). And, more likely than not, it'll be a heavy woollen or textured tweed of some description — perhaps even tweed from Ireland again, as it fits the style quite well. Harris Tweed would also be a great candidate, especially since with a name like "balmacaan" it seems most fitting to source from Scotland.

WizardVigilante

Reaction score
Thanks for the astute and complimentary analysis!

I am fairly sure we will make the balmacaan again for the coming autumn (not before). And, more likely than not, it'll be a heavy woollen or textured tweed of some description — perhaps even tweed from Ireland again, as it fits the style quite well. Harris Tweed would also be a great candidate, especially since with a name like "balmacaan" it seems most fitting to source from Scotland.

In the absence of raincoat balmacaans will there be full length rainwear alternatives?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
In the absence of raincoat balmacaans will there be full length rainwear alternatives?

We are finishing off a new version of the car coat, in weatherproof ripstop, which might tick that box.

It's not full-length, but is designed with spring showers in mind.

There's also the balmacaan in cotton at https://sehkelly.com/balmacaan-in-no-wax-cotton-cambric-in-copper/ and https://sehkelly.com/balmacaan-in-cotton-no-wax-in-rye-brown/, as well as https://sehkelly.com/trench-coat-in-weatherproof-ripstop-in-cosmos/ (which is supremely rain-proof) and https://sehkelly.com/car-coat-protective-ripstop-sand/ (the previous version of the car coat; the new one is a similar concept but assembled in a different way).

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The shopcoat ought to appear on the website over the weekend (at least in one colour).

The development took quite a long time, partly because there's more to it than first meets the eye, and also our predilection for very thick materials.

There's the lapped armhole and the placket-with-lapel combination (which is more tricky to get right than first thought) and the vertical pocket which slides partly inside the horizontal (main) pocket.

The most tricky thing to work out, though, was to have the lapel overlap the collar. It started as a little flourish to ape what you sometimes see on work jackets of a certain vintage -- where the collar is slapped on without much care or need to care for tidiness, on account of it being workwear.

shopcoat-grey-8@2x.jpg
shopcoat-grey-2@2x.jpg
shopcoat-grey-4@2x.jpg
shopcoat-grey-5@2x.jpg
shopcoat-grey-9@2x.jpg
shopcoat-grey-10@2x.jpg
shopcoat-grey-3@2x.jpg

But to do it nicely, with a peak-style lapel ... it was a difficult one to figure out, and probably occupied at least half the total development time!

It's half workwear and half tailoring, I suppose — like the work jacket crossed with the Chesterfield.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks very nice. Might have asked before, but how long is it? Knee length? Asking since Im tall, and like long coats..

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
looks very nice. Might have asked before, but how long is it? Knee length? Asking since Im tall, and like long coats..

The size M is 101cm, and there's just over 0.5cm step between the sizes.

Knee length, then, but depending very much on the parts above the knee.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads