• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kevenmee

Reaction score
We undertook the onerous task of counting stock at the workshop earlier today.

Anyone familiar with stocktakes will appreciate the diminishing of lifeforce that they entail, but we got through it — with some surprise outcomes. We have quite a few things previously uncounted (and thus not listed on the website) and so http://sehkelly.com/xs through http://sehkelly.com/xl might be worth perusing if you've looked at something previously only to see the dreaded "sold out" button.

No updates for S? :(

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The new pyjama top — a "nearly jacket" or a "more than shirt" — is now ready, and ought to be online tomorrow.

We've made it in two materials, which is a record-breaking behavior in this part of town when it comes to new styles making their debut. The first of them is the same plain-weave "oxford" blend of merino-wool and Egyptian cotton, which we used a few months back for some shirts. Very good cloth, and a good match for this style, straddling as we hope it will most months of the year between spring and autumn.

pyjama-top-merino-cotton-lead-grey-3@2x.jpg
pyjama-top-merino-cotton-barley-2@2x.jpg
pyjama-top-merino-cotton-lead-grey-7@2x.jpg
pyjama-top-merino-cotton-barley-6@2x.jpg
pyjama-top-merino-cotton-barley-11@2x.jpg
pyjama-top-merino-cotton-lead-grey-5@2x.jpg
pyjama-top-merino-cotton-barley-3@2x.jpg

This is actually a curious, accidental hybrid of our very first jacket (a work jacket) and overshirt. What a hamster wheel we are on.

espen

Reaction score
Pyjama top looks great, would be great to get a sense of the weight of that cotton.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul,

Will the balaclava return next year in greater quantities perhaps? Winter bicycling has me regretting not jumping on it.

And a non-stock inquiry: any reason you don’t allow people to view posts in which you are tagged on your Instagram? I want to look at cool Japanese people wearing your cool clothes but it is difficult at the moment.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Paul,

Will the balaclava return next year in greater quantities perhaps? Winter bicycling has me regretting not jumping on it.

And a non-stock inquiry: any reason you don’t allow people to view posts in which you are tagged on your Instagram? I want to look at cool Japanese people wearing your cool clothes but it is difficult at the moment.

You have my word that the balaclava will return *this* year — probably in September or October. I'll make a note now to get in touch when they're ready.

Instagram — I have no idea! Tell me which setting to un-set it and un-set it I will.

twdawson

Reaction score
Speaking of pics - is there a reason none of your store photos include a full back view (i.e. in the style of the first image w/ front-facing mannequin)? Love all the detail shots but would be nice to see the garment whole rather than just a sum of parts.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Speaking of pics - is there a reason none of your store photos include a full back view (i.e. in the style of the first image w/ front-facing mannequin)? Love all the detail shots but would be nice to see the garment whole rather than just a sum of parts.

Not really, no!

It's just my way.

Full-length photographs are always the most time-consuming, and I suppose subconsciously I must deem the back of a garment the least interesting part (we don't generally use the rear of a garment for anything "creative", if you know what I mean, so there's not much of a story to tell).

I'll bear it in mind for future, though: it's a more than fair thing to flag up.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The pyjama top seems to be doing quite well. We were clearly overdue in exploring the niche that connects traditional sleepwear with workwear. Watch this space for bathrobes (although arguably with the tielocken we're already more than halfway there).

The shopcoat and engineer jacket are now finished, and I hope to add them to the site in a week or two.

field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-slate-grey-11@2x.jpg
field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-slate-grey-10@2x.jpg
field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-slate-grey-8@2x.jpg
field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-slate-grey-7@2x.jpg
field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-slate-grey-4@2x.jpg
field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-slate-grey-3@2x.jpg
field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-slate-grey-12@2x.jpg

And one other new additional which has flown a little under the radar, is the field shirt, back this time in cotton-linen "union" cloth at https://www.sehkelly.com/field-shirt-in-cotton-linen-hopsack-in-petrol-grey/. It is the best version yet of the field shirt, for my money (which is just over a tuppence) and will be joined in a few days by a couple of other colours.

We've made the slim trouser in the same cloth, too (and indeed, the shopcoat is also in this wonderful cloth).

Paul

10dence

Reaction score
Do you have any sneak peeks to offer for the yet unreleased outerwear?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Do you have any sneak peeks to offer for the yet unreleased outerwear?

Not really, sir — not over and above what's already out there.

The car coat (very revised version) is finished, and awaiting buttoning, and is made in weatherproof ripstop in blue and cosmos. You can see the prototype at https://www.sehkelly.com/words/2019/08/career-change/ and there's a close-up of the blue version at .

The shopcoat is in the same position, and is made in cotton-line ("union") hopsack in malt and slate grey. You can see it at , , and . This is the same cloth as the finished article, but in another colour.

The engineer jacket I don't have any photographs, but is also finished. We have made it in a very nice, soft, brushed cotton canvas, in army green and navy. It's sort of like the work jacket crossed with the old collarless jacket we did way back when, crossed also with the field jacket. It's a solid little summer jacket — probably sharing a similar niche to the pyjama jacket, but heavier and laden more with pockets.

The other jacket that springs to mind is the SB3, which we've made in the tropical worsted discussed the other week. They're well on their way to being finished, along with matching trousers (of the standard variety) in midnight and school grey.

All of the above will trickle onto the website over the next two weeks!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads