• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What never comes across in photos, or seemingly website descriptions, is how lightweight is the cloth. It is actually quite thick (at least compared to cotton) but is supremely light. I don't know if there are hollow fibres involved, or some other magic, but when a wimp like me can comfortably lift 60m of cloth (enough for 20 or more coats) you know there's something clever afoot.

Paul
[/QUOTE]

Hey Paul, so what exactly is the cloth breakdown on this thing, and is it rated for security forces?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Paul, so what exactly is the cloth breakdown on this thing, and is it rated for security forces?

It is Kevlar, intermingled with some other related, complementary aramid fibres.

I'm not sure about its rating for security forces (the fabric itself; the fibres are routinely used for military) — but it is used as a top-layer, to complement other, thicker, even more protective layers, for the fire services in some parts of the UK and around the world.

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The second colour is now up:

parka-minor-weatherproof-ripstop-cosmos-1@2x.jpg

parka-minor-weatherproof-ripstop-cosmos-12@2x.jpg
parka-minor-weatherproof-ripstop-cosmos-5@2x.jpg
parka-minor-weatherproof-ripstop-cosmos-20s@2x.jpg

Trouble with these technical things is that they require at least a dozen photographs to get the message across!

Paul

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
There are a few things coming along in the next couple of weeks.

The first of them is the pyjama top, which is a new style, with a semi-raglan sleeve (the same as our Chesterfield) and a turn-down collar in the style of British uniforms from the all-too distant past.

There's the heavy linen burlap here, and some made too in a blend of merino and cotton.

pyjama-top-linen-burlap-dark-olive-2@2x.jpg
pyjama-top-linen-burlap-dark-navy-3@2x.jpg
pyjama-top-linen-burlap-dark-navy-6@2x.jpg
pyjama-top-linen-burlap-dark-olive-7@2x.jpg
pyjama-top-linen-burlap-dark-olive-5@2x.jpg

The field shirt, new shopcoat, revamped car coat, and new engineer jacket are also coming along within the next month or so. The SB3, shirts aplenty, trousers also aplenty, and shorts are in the mix, too.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
... but before all that, we're still very much of a wintery mentality.

We tend to release things "as and when", see, rather than in seasons or in drops. Hence I think the last thing we made, prior to the pyjama top above, was the tielocken, which I'm sure wasn't more than six weeks ago.

Anyway, here are a few further photographs from the things of late last year, including the Chesterfield and cooks jacket, which I don't think have been photographed previously on a form of flesh and bone.

gansey-navy-worn-1.jpg
chesterfield-woollen-bedford-cord-charcoal-worn-2@2x.jpg
cooks-jacket-worsted-moleskin-midnight-worn-2@2x.jpg
cooks-jacket-worsted-moleskin-midnight-worn-3@2x.jpg
cooks-jacket-worsted-moleskin-midnight-worn-1@2x (1).jpg
field-shirt-woollen-melton-grey-worn-1@2x.jpg
field-shirt-uniform-melton-tobacco-worn-2@2x.jpg
field-shirt-uniform-melton-tobacco-worn-1@2x.jpg
peacoat-uniform-melton-black-worn-3@2x.jpg
peacoat-uniform-melton-black-worn-1@2x.jpg

10dence

Reaction score
Hi Paul, if you would happen to come across a size L gansey in your workshop, in any colour that's not molasses, could you let me know?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Paul, if you would happen to come across a size L gansey in your workshop, in any colour that's not molasses, could you let me know?

Absolutely. Will do.

The gansey will return later this year, if nothing else (I must admit it is a little unlikely for another to come back my way before then).

On the theme of maritime-inspired knitwear, by the way, we have a new boatneck pullover currently in development with our knitwear maker. If things go to plan, it'll be complete in a few months, and will find its way onto the website (and workshop) in time for mid-spring. This first version will be cotton, such as we often do at this time of year, but will be made in a fairly chunky ply so that it is useful all year round.

kevenmee

Reaction score
... but before all that, we're still very much of a wintery mentality.

We tend to release things "as and when", see, rather than in seasons or in drops. Hence I think the last thing we made, prior to the pyjama top above, was the tielocken, which I'm sure wasn't more than six weeks ago.

Anyway, here are a few further photographs from the things of late last year, including the Chesterfield and cooks jacket, which I don't think have been photographed previously on a form of flesh and bone.

View attachment 1323508 View attachment 1323509 View attachment 1323510 View attachment 1323511 View attachment 1323512 View attachment 1323513 View attachment 1323514 View attachment 1323515 View attachment 1323516 View attachment 1323517

Just started following SEH Kelly, any details on the turtleneck in the first picture?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the heavier top-half and lighter lower-half approach on that sweater.

NO MERCY

Reaction score
I cant resist chiming in here to add my liking for the gansey to the pile. Thoroughly enjoying the molasses iteration, it's seeing quite a bit of wear this winter.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I cant resist chiming in here to add my liking for the gansey to the pile. Thoroughly enjoying the molasses iteration, it's seeing quite a bit of wear this winter.

Many thanks!

I had a few doubts of the gansey during development, as the early samples were not quite to my liking. The knitwear maker came through in the end, however, and the end result has slotted nicely into the knitwear department — just between the v-neck and heavy crewneck.

kevenmee

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads