• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's as good as new!

Thanks for asking.

Those were some patience-testing times back there. Turns out even with one good hand, one elbow, and one dextrous set of teeth, you can't easily button a shirt.

But alas climbing the ladder at the workshop will never be the same again ...

10dence

Reaction score
Just picked up my peacoat and crewneck, can't tell you how glad I am that both fit and look were perfect. This is highly individual of course but you have the perfect sleeve length for me, something that very rarely happens, almost always are they too long.

Now I'm eyeing the cedar corduroy shirt but your size description makes me a bit unsure since I've never purchased anything slim fit from you before. Adding to that the heavy fabric I might or might not be slightly between sizes. There's not that much of a choice to go up as XL is sold out. Maybe the real solution would be to cut out some non-essential dietary choices and make sure I'm not between sizes...

Also I can't begin to fathom your pain buttoning and unbuttoning shirts with one hand. I struggled to unbutton my work jacket from the outside with two working hands. Much easier when I'm wearing it, of course.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just picked up my peacoat and crewneck, can't tell you how glad I am that both fit and look were perfect. This is highly individual of course but you have the perfect sleeve length for me, something that very rarely happens, almost always are they too long.

Now I'm eyeing the cedar corduroy shirt but your size description makes me a bit unsure since I've never purchased anything slim fit from you before. Adding to that the heavy fabric I might or might not be slightly between sizes. There's not that much of a choice to go up as XL is sold out. Maybe the real solution would be to cut out some non-essential dietary choices and make sure I'm not between sizes...

Also I can't begin to fathom your pain buttoning and unbuttoning shirts with one hand. I struggled to unbutton my work jacket from the outside with two working hands. Much easier when I'm wearing it, of course.

I'm a size M in the peacoat, and a size M in the crewneck (which is a little big on me, but it's a finicky half-size thing) — and am resolutely a size M in all of the new shirts, be they moleskin, corduroy, or merino-with-cotton. In our other shirts, made in less thick cloth, I waver between an S and an M.

The shirt is "slim fit", I suppose, relative to our field shirt or work jacket or duffle coat — but I guess a gentleman more familiar with continental tailoring might find otherwise (or Mr. Simon Crompton, who said exactly as much a few months ago.)

Our original shirt was a more short and boxy affair, you see, and we re-worked it to make it longer and more shapely.

However, do not expect any great departure in shape or sizing versus anything else of ours: it is all on a fairly narrow spectrum, which deviation from the norm based on the style (e.g. a work jacket is intentional less shapely and workwear-like; a shirt tries to tread the line between a very casual shirt and a more formal one).

What a lot of waffle, eh?

RozenKristal

Reaction score

10dence

Reaction score
I'm a size M in the peacoat, and a size M in the crewneck (which is a little big on me, but it's a finicky half-size thing) — and am resolutely a size M in all of the new shirts, be they moleskin, corduroy, or merino-with-cotton. In our other shirts, made in less thick cloth, I waver between an S and an M.

The shirt is "slim fit", I suppose, relative to our field shirt or work jacket or duffle coat — but I guess a gentleman more familiar with continental tailoring might find otherwise (or Mr. Simon Crompton, who said exactly as much a few months ago.)

Our original shirt was a more short and boxy affair, you see, and we re-worked it to make it longer and more shapely.

However, do not expect any great departure in shape or sizing versus anything else of ours: it is all on a fairly narrow spectrum, which deviation from the norm based on the style (e.g. a work jacket is intentional less shapely and workwear-like; a shirt tries to tread the line between a very casual shirt and a more formal one).

What a lot of waffle, eh?

I suppose it's true the UK sizes are often a bit more generous. I'll see what's left at the end of the month and go from there, the other shirts are growing on me more and more.

And please never stop waffling, it is an essential part of the S.E.H. Kelly shopping experience. (How is it pronounced, seh kelly?)

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I suppose it's true the UK sizes are often a bit more generous. I'll see what's left at the end of the month and go from there, the other shirts are growing on me more and more.

And please never stop waffling, it is an essential part of the S.E.H. Kelly shopping experience. (How is it pronounced, seh kelly?)

It's ess-ee-aitch Kelly.

Please see the comments section of https://www.propermag.com/site/s-e-h-kelly-competition-win-a-heavyweight-tuck-stitch-jumper-2012-10 for further enlightenment on this matter.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We do have the same but in lambswool Elysian in dark navy coming in November.

Can't decide what material I want... while I don't have a duffle coat yet, I do have both navy and camel toned outwear already.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So the specs are identical, just difderent fabric? Can we have some pics and explaination of elysian wool?

It is an Elysian lambswool cloth from West Yorkshire.

Elysian, as you might well know, is a fairly traditional cloth for duffle coats. It is a very thick, soft, and spongey material. Very cosy.

You can see a bit about it -- including the weight -- at https://www.joshuaellis.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Joshua-Ellis-Fabric-A305-Elysian.pdf.

And you can see how it looks made into a coat at https://www.joshuaellis.com/blog-elysianduffle/.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads