• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexidb

Reaction score
It was sold to me as a Mac, is it in fact a balmacaan? And what’s with the little button on the back?

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one you can see in the trench photographs?

That's a new one — a mix of merino wool with Donegal fleck, and cotton, woven in Ireland. A quite untraditional mix of fibres, but it makes for a good, sturdy autumn-winter shirt.

The other one you can see, in the first trench coat photo, is the still fairly new corduroy shirt in umber. That's at https://www.sehkelly.com/shirt-with-granddad-collar-in-corduroy-in-umber/. Another hefty number. It is very similar in appearance to the reversible overshirt we made this time last year ... only, well ... it isn't reversible.

Got it - when will that flecked Irish shirt make it to the store? :)

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It was sold to me as a Mac, is it in fact a balmacaan? And what’s with the little button on the back?

It is neither mac nor balmacaan, that one.

It is a precursor of sorts to the car coat, but has a smaller collar and different pockets.

The button at the back, if memory serves, is for the kick-tab that goes across the pleat, and helps keep it in check. The first version of the coat was made in a thick dry-wax cotton, and to prevent the pleat from opening up or folding out, we introduced the tab to hold it in place.

Alexidb

Reaction score
I received my package from S.E.H. Kelly last week. With temps in the high 90s and humidity around 70 it’s been to hot to wear any of it till today. I had some weird glitches with uploading pictures, but they should appear below.

35440F2B-0957-406A-99CC-42952B8D19F3.jpeg

58699F6D-635A-4599-9BE1-C0BA6C4F384B.jpeg

7E6A0BA3-3705-4950-9693-72B86D45B263.jpeg

73766DBD-72CE-4BBC-BCB3-61B57B7A9DB5.jpeg

469D1FF7-A3E9-4BFB-B22E-CB2D0AC89F10.jpeg

4E5946FA-4920-4CD9-ABE0-EB6701F01DC5.jpeg

Last edited:

illumin8em

Reaction score
I received my package from S.E.H. Kelly last week. With temps in the high 90s and humidity around 70 it’s been to hot to wear any of it till today. I had some weird glitches with uploading pictures, but they should appear below.

View attachment 1028428

Looks great!

The natural linen shirt is one that I just keep coming back to, can't believe I haven't bought it yet. How do you feel about the weight in the east coast summer? I wanted it for a summer shirt but it seemed to heavy.

Alexidb

Reaction score
Looks great!

The natural linen shirt is one that I just keep coming back to, can't believe I haven't bought it yet. How do you feel about the weight in the east coast summer? I wanted it for a summer shirt but it seemed to heavy.
I’ve only had a chance to wear the Desert Cotton shirt so far. I was expecting something closer to Aertex with the name Desert Cotton. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love it but it’s much too heavy for the weather we’ve been having. It’s 70 today and it worked well in the shade, but in the sun it was a bit warm. My Viking blood runs hot, YMMV.

As I mentioned above I’ve not a chance to wear the linen shirt, it is heavier in the hand then the cotton one.

illumin8em

Reaction score
I’ve only had a chance to wear the Desert Cotton shirt so far. I was expecting something closer to Aertex with the name Desert Cotton. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love it but it’s much too heavy for the weather we’ve been having. It’s 70 today and it worked well in the shade, but in the sun it was a bit warm. My Viking blood runs hot, YMMV.

As I mentioned above I’ve not a chance to wear the linen shirt, it is heavier in the hand then the cotton one.

Ah, I'm sorry I forgot that was the Desert Cotton, I mistook it for the Linen version from last year I think. I thought the one you were wearing was the linen. Curious about fit compared to other shirts you wear.

Alexidb

Reaction score
Curious about fit compared to other shirts you wear.
Shoulders are close to an J.Crew or LLBean Signature medium, chest is closer to a large. I think the closest fit I have is a Brooks Brothers Red Fleece linen shirt in large. Sleeves are spot on, though I get a bit of lift when I raise my arms to shoulder height.
I’m somewhere south of 14 stone, 5’11, 42 inch chest, and 34 inch waist pushing 36 at my natural waist.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
On the subject of shirts -- thanks for the mentions and feedback, all above -- we have just finished some new shirts made with what we're calling merino-cotton oxford cloth.

shirt-kelly-merino-cotton-oxford-grey-6.jpg

The cloth is from County Donegal in Ireland. It is quite light on the flecks you typically associate with material from that part of the world, and is at least half cotton. Thus it is smoother and more breathable than a full-on woollen shirt, and just about fine enough to be made into a sensible autumn-winter shirt (as opposed to a preposterous one made with cloth so thick it bulges at the seams).

There's this grey, and a grey-navy. I'm working on getting them online for tomorrow.

Paul

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lst