• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
Not just yet, sir.

But think of http://sehkelly.com/topcoat-hand-woven-navy-merino-tweed/ with more shape across the chest, and postbox pockets a la http://sehkelly.com/peacoat-dark-navy-worsted-overcoating/.

It's not quite as straightforward as that, but that is nevertheless very much the gist.

Excellent - was thinking about this - by realigning the pockets you've prompted a question. I was looking at this gentlemen here from the website and he seems to be very well kitted out for the cold. Correct me if I'm wrong but he seems to be wearing a topcoat and an overshirt underneath - a look which I suggest is a very good one.

So - in this picture the topcoat has slanted pockets and the overshirt horizontal pockets. With the new topcoat having horizontal pockets can we look forward to the overshirt moving to compliment it with diagonal pockets?

topcoat-navy-merino-tweed-worn-1.jpg

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
See, this is what I like. Modular, systems thinking. It is the sort of thing that preoccupies a lot my day.

We won't be changing the overshirt to adapt to new pockets of the topcoat -- after all, it isn't like the overshirt-topcoat combination is the only one in town. However, we are reintroducing the reversible overshirt (http://www.sehkelly.com/words/2014/09/reversible-overshirt/) from a few years back, which does have sideways-accessed inseam pockets. We have one planned which will be corduroy and heavy military melton — one in blue, and one in a peat / rust sort of colour.

But yes -- thank you for the question. I like your thinking.

There is of course still the balmacaan, trench, and the new peacoat, for the sort of interactions with the overshirt you describe in your post.

Paul

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
wow! i've been following sehk for some time now but have yet to pull the trigger, always worried about sizing and stock seems to by bought up quite rapidly...i'm a massive EG fan but should really branch out and pick up my first SB3 instead of another bedford. love it!!

I also love EG, have tons from them. I have two SEH knits and one scarf. Plan on adding possibly a shirt and a couple of outerwear pieces this fall; You will love their stuff. Fits in well with EG, and is also made really well with a lot of attention to detail. And above all of that, Paul is a pleasure to deal with.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I also love EG, have tons from them. I have two SEH knits and one scarf. Plan on adding possibly a shirt and a couple of outerwear pieces this fall; You will love their stuff. Fits in well with EG, and is also made really well with a lot of attention to detail. And above all of that, Paul is a pleasure to deal with.

Much obliged, Mr. Snake.

He's right -- always happy to help, and (for better or worse) never more than a few paces from my inbox.

conak

Reaction score

wow! i've been following sehk for some time now but have yet to pull the trigger, always worried about sizing and stock seems to by bought up quite rapidly...i'm a massive EG fan but should really branch out and pick up my first SB3 instead of another bedford. love it!!

For the same reasons you mention I have very little from them, but I think they are the only outfit that I can honestly say I would wear everything they make...except the glasses, only really because I don't wear glasses

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For the same reasons you mention I have very little from them, but I think they are the only outfit that I can honestly say I would wear everything they make...except the glasses, only really because I don't wear glasses

Thank you very much indeed.

The spectacle frames are now, sadly, a thing of the past. The factory that made them is all but defunct. A real shame — we had high hopes.

Reaction score
See, this is what I like. Modular, systems thinking. It is the sort of thing that preoccupies a lot my day.

We won't be changing the overshirt to adapt to new pockets of the topcoat -- after all, it isn't like the overshirt-topcoat combination is the only one in town. However, we are reintroducing the reversible overshirt (http://www.sehkelly.com/words/2014/09/reversible-overshirt/) from a few years back, which does have sideways-accessed inseam pockets. We have one planned which will be corduroy and heavy military melton — one in blue, and one in a peat / rust sort of colour.

But yes -- thank you for the question. I like your thinking.

There is of course still the balmacaan, trench, and the new peacoat, for the sort of interactions with the overshirt you describe in your post.

Paul
Thank you - this is really interesting - there's a nice symmetry with the new reversible overshirt as corduroy and heavy melton are both substantial in their own right and I can imagine wearers will enjoy thinking about the choice of which to wear inside and which outside. Do you have a planned arrival date?

Can I ask how you come to match outer fabrics with inner fabrics - and - would the waistcoat ever be a candidate for a suitable lining?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you - this is really interesting - there's a nice symmetry with the new reversible overshirt as corduroy and heavy melton are both substantial in their own right and I can imagine wearers will enjoy thinking about the choice of which to wear inside and which outside. Do you have a planned arrival date?

We are fairly limited when it comes to lining cloths. Nowhere to our knowledge in the British Isles is there a maker of lining-suitable smooth cottons, satin, or vis-ray materials, so our hands are somewhat tied. That being said, we are always drawn towards cloths of texture and character (which for all their merits you can't really say about the aforementioned). And so we tend to use thin silesia or linen -- preferably linen, in fact, but it is tough to find good complementary colours. Winter clothing is easier: there is a grey melton we have used for lining for years, and occasionally we pick cloth that closely complements the outer -- such as a thin navy merino twill for when the outer is a heavier navy woollen.

We hope that all the new woollen things -- overshirts, coats, jackets, etc. etc. -- will emerge in August or September. The order in which they arrive is always subject to cloth availability, pattern development, and the production schedule that follows, but by and large, a vast swathe of new woollen / corduroy articles will appear in six months or less.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul, any plans for knitwear this Fall with set-in sleeves instead of raglans?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Paul, any plans for knitwear this Fall with set-in sleeves instead of raglans?

Hmmm ... well, the heavy crewneck will be back with raglan sleeves, and alongside it will be a new four-ply crewneck with saddle sleeve (sometimes known as epaulette sleeves). The same as http://sehkelly.com/crewneck-imperial-blue-tuck-stitch-cotton/, effectively, but in geelong lambswool. I suppose it's halfway between inset and raglan.

There's also likely to be a polo shirt, which will have set-in sleeves for sure, and we have been toying with the idea of bringing back the rollneck (http://sehkelly.com/rollnecks/). It seems to come in and out of popularity, I suppose based on prevailing fashions sensibilities, so we're in two minds about it. But that would up the set-in ante another notch, too.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Speaking of saddle shoulders ...

It doesn't always reveal itself so readily with the thicker winter knitwear, but there's often a contrast between the body and sleeve in our knitwear. Here you can see a three-ply (tuck-stitch) body and a (knit-stitch) two-ply sleeve.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
@sehkelly Juicy knits as always. I just saw your knit polo and I like that design. Are you planning on doing something like that in wool/cashmere this fall? I've never been much one for cotton sweaters.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@sehkelly Juicy knits as always. I just saw your knit polo and I like that design. Are you planning on doing something like that in wool/cashmere this fall? I've never been much one for cotton sweaters.

Glad you like it.

A cashmere-cotton polo could very well be on the cards.

Thing is, with a polo shirt, which is unlikely to be worn over another top, you really need a yarn that will get along with everybody's skin. The cashmere-cotton yarn we use sometimes is very, very soft, and agreeable from a dermatological perspective, but still — it's hairier than cotton or linen knitting yarn, and so when worn with nothing underneath, it won't be everybody's cup of tea.

We'll probably see how the cotton polo gets on, and make plans for an autumnal version closer to the time.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm ... well, the heavy crewneck will be back with raglan sleeves, and alongside it will be a new four-ply crewneck with saddle sleeve (sometimes known as epaulette sleeves). The same as http://sehkelly.com/crewneck-imperial-blue-tuck-stitch-cotton/, effectively, but in geelong lambswool. I suppose it's halfway between inset and raglan.

There's also likely to be a polo shirt, which will have set-in sleeves for sure, and we have been toying with the idea of bringing back the rollneck (http://sehkelly.com/rollnecks/). It seems to come in and out of popularity, I suppose based on prevailing fashions sensibilities, so we're in two minds about it. But that would up the set-in ante another notch, too.

Much obliged for the info.

Even though it's not the rollneck you linked to above, any chance of seeing this nice thick one again?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads