• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I’m not sure if this is the appropriate place for this, if it isn’t I apologize in advance.

I’ve never been one for long coats, but I came across the charcoal tielocken a couple of months ago and now that I’ve seen it I can't get it out of my head. I’ve been feverishly refreshing the product’s page every couple of days for a while now hoping that perhaps someone made a return and a single piece came back up for sale, but I’m starting to lose hope. Would anyone here happen to own said charcoal tielocken in a size small and would be willing to depart with it? If not, any ideas on other avenues where the coat would come up for sale other than Grailed and/or the Styleforum buy/sell page? Thank you!

We've only ever made a handful of those, and unfortunately it was never made in smaller sizes.

The tielocken will likely now take a couple of years off, but we do have a few similar-ish coats planned for the winter, including the Chesterfield, new topcoat, and new British warm. They're all different to the tielocken, of course, but occupy the same sort of niche in the wardrobe.

One of them will probably make use of the same charcoal melton, too.

DanielPicktonAllen

Reaction score
Can I please ask what the difference is between the topcoat and the chesterfield?They look quite similar to me, definitely interested in purchasing one of them and I’m not sure which is closer to what I’ve been looking for (depends on lapels/fits/colours)

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The similarities are that they're similar lengths and have similar styles of collar, but actually, other than that, they don't have much in common.

The Chesterfield has a different style of shoulder (we call it a semi-raglan) which gives a rounder and fuller look than the tielocken

It is single-breasted with a three-button fly front.

It has the large postbox-style patch pockets solely (no warmer pockets like the tielocken).

And it has an adjustable half-belt at the back, and a classic vent, rather than the inverted pleat that runs up the back of the tielocken.

And working jacket-style button cuffs.

Quite different, then! I always think of the Chesterfield has a more formal topcoat style, with a more tailored look, and the tielocken with half a foot in comparatively more casual outerwear.

DanielPicktonAllen

Reaction score
The similarities are that they're similar lengths and have similar styles of collar, but actually, other than that, they don't have much in common.

The Chesterfield has a different style of shoulder (we call it a semi-raglan) which gives a rounder and fuller look than the tielocken

It is single-breasted with a three-button fly front.

It has the large postbox-style patch pockets solely (no warmer pockets like the tielocken).

And it has an adjustable half-belt at the back, and a classic vent, rather than the inverted pleat that runs up the back of the tielocken.

And working jacket-style button cuffs.

Quite different, then! I always think of the Chesterfield has a more formal topcoat style, with a more tailored look, and the tielocken with half a foot in comparatively more casual outerwear.
I’m confused 😅 does the topcoat not have buttons?

i can see the difference with the tielocken ☺️

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Oh right, yes, I see now.

Got my topcoat confused with my tielocken.

The Chesterfield and topcoat will be quite similar, but in comparison, the Chesterfield is more grand in style — larger collar, wider lapel, bigger pockets, and more "design" at the back. And it has a fly-front. The topcoat will be simpler and more understated in all respects, and with a two-button front akin to our SB jacket.

DanielPicktonAllen

Reaction score
Thanks, that’s helpful, I guess I’ll need to wait and see to be sure. I’m leaning toward the new topcoat by that description, but we will see!

So that means when the chesterfield is done up you won’t see the buttons but with the top coat you will?

PacoPico

Reaction score
Please include me on the waiting list for the hunting jacket. I’m checking in daily but don’t want to miss it if it sells out quick.

ghh923

Reaction score
I’m not sure if this is the appropriate place for this, if it isn’t I apologize in advance.

I’ve never been one for long coats, but I came across the charcoal tielocken a couple of months ago and now that I’ve seen it I can't get it out of my head. I’ve been feverishly refreshing the product’s page every couple of days for a while now hoping that perhaps someone made a return and a single piece came back up for sale, but I’m starting to lose hope. Would anyone here happen to own said charcoal tielocken in a size small and would be willing to depart with it? If not, any ideas on other avenues where the coat would come up for sale other than Grailed and/or the Styleforum buy/sell page? Thank you!

Having had others help me track down things I’ve really longed for, there are several tielockens in stock at Maidens, a Japanese retailer. I’ve used a proxy service to bring other JP based garments over to CONUS, and am happy to share the name of that service with you if you want.

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Having had others help me track down things I’ve really longed for, there are several tielockens in stock at Maidens, a Japanese retailer. I’ve used a proxy service to bring other JP based garments over to CONUS, and am happy to share the name of that service with you if you want.

That's helpful. There's some at Arch in Sapporo as well. But no sizes S, M, or L among their number (or if there are, it won't be standard sizing but rather jumbo oversized sizing).

RozenKristal

Reaction score
I have a question, would the work jacket in summer fabric weight breathable enough for tropical climate? Area near equator like Singapore and the like? I was thinking more along the line of shielding the sun light than keeping me warm

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
francesmercad