• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It’s slightly tough for me to imagine what these would look like in real life. I’m definitely more likely to be tempted by a tielocken than a trench coat. I suppose the way I wear SEH Kelly clothes, which is incorporated into my otherwise younger and gayer wardrobe than the general (excellent) SEHK look as a whole, means I think a tweed trench coat wouldn’t work for me. The tielocken is tempting, I may wait however for when you make a chesterfield (for which I believe I’m on a list).

I agree that the first and fifth are probably my favourites, but maybe fairly similar? I’m not sure about chevron/herringbone, whichever 2/3/4 are, it feels like you’ve already done something similar last year with the balmacaan. I would suggest maybe it’s better to do something different (the first one in particular certainly would be). I’m not sure what the sixth/last one is (I’m a little colour deficient). Will be interesting to see what you come up with.
How thick is the material?

Thanks for the insight!

The tweeds above are quoted at 300-350gsm in weight.

(The Chesterfield likely won't make the cut this year as the greatcoat and one or two other items have supplanted its place in the lineup.)

S1722

Reaction score
Another vote for the first and fifth. I can see the first working very well with the Tielocken, but less so with the Trench - think there'd be too much going on. The fifth would make a very interesting Trench, though.

Might blue be an option?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Another vote for the first and fifth. I can see the first working very well with the Tielocken, but less so with the Trench - think there'd be too much going on. The fifth would make a very interesting Trench, though.

Might blue be an option?

Thanks very much for the input.

It seems the balance of favour is currently towards the tielocken.

I do have some blues here, but nothing which leapt out of the bundle. I'll take another look tomorrow morning and will report back.

DanielPicktonAllen

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight!

The tweeds above are quoted at 300-350gsm in weight.

(The Chesterfield likely won't make the cut this year as the greatcoat and one or two other items have supplanted its place in the lineup.)
Oh that’s a shame about the chesterfield.
could I ask how that thickness compares to your usual fabrics? Is this going to be a heavy coat?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Oh that’s a shame about the chesterfield.
could I ask how that thickness compares to your usual fabrics? Is this going to be a heavy coat?

We've made the tielocken in cloth of a similar weight before, I think three years ago (you can see it a few rows down at https://www.sehkelly.com/worn/september-2019-march-2020/).

It was certainly a heavy coat by most peoples' definition, especially with the many buckles of the tielocken taken into account. Certainly one that could be worn all the way through winter here in London.

RozenKristal

Reaction score
One vote for tielocken.

The trench last year was fantastic and tielocken skipped a year, so a forum picked tielocken would be fun and right on time ;)

Like Daniel, the tielocken also works really well with my wardrobe too lol

Csus2

Reaction score
I do think the windowpane tielocken would make a great looking coat but I want a trench goshdarnnit

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
These are new today — it's the sleep shirt, which debuted last year, and has been subject to quite a bit of development time in the past few months.

We sharpened up the design a little, added a second pocket, and improved the fit and sense of comfort. The smock in cotton-linen from last month underwent the same sort of work, and we're happy with how both have turned out. It's fun to try and imbue these ostensibly simple mid-layers with the same level of interest and novelty as a more complicated jacket or coat. The sleep shirt has a dolman sleeve, vents up the side, and chest pockets built into the cross-chest seam. In reductive terms it's just four large pieces of cloth sewn together (excluding pockets and facing) but if they're not cut correctly and in sync with one another it's a real dog's dinner.

The cloth is a high-grade linen poplin from Northern Ireland: springy, quite heavy, and with superb drape. It's also sanforised so doesn't shrink to any noticeable degree.

sleep-shirt-linen-poplin-rust-7s@2x.jpg
sleep-shirt-linen-poplin-rust-3s@2x.jpg
sleep-shirt-linen-poplin-rust-2s@2x.jpg
sleep-shirt-linen-poplin-navy-6s@2x.jpg
sleep-shirt-linen-poplin-navy-5s@2x.jpg
sleep-shirt-linen-poplin-navy-4s@2x.jpg
sleep-shirt-linen-poplin-navy-2s@2x.jpg

RozenKristal

Reaction score
What is your method to smooth out the wrinkles in linen fabric like this? I didnt try to iron it cuz I afraid will burn if I choose the wrong settings...

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What is your method to smooth out the wrinkles in linen fabric like this? I didnt try to iron it cuz I afraid will burn if I choose the wrong settings...

For the heavier, drapier linen (such as the above) I wash it but barely spin it, so it emerges from the machine quite wet.

And then I pull it and tug it and straighten it out, to the extent that it looks entirely crease-free (for the linen above, this doesn't take very much work).

And then I hang it to dry.

You could then go one step further and use an iron on a very cool setting, applying lots of steam, and pressing only the inside of the shirt. It will then look pretty darn wrinkle-free, but personally, I stop short at this stage, as to de-wrinkle linen to such an extent seems counter to its nature.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
For the heavier, drapier linen (such as the above) I wash it but barely spin it, so it emerges from the machine quite wet.

And then I pull it and tug it and straighten it out, to the extent that it looks entirely crease-free (for the linen above, this doesn't take very much work).

And then I hang it to dry.

Same, but I wash them by hand. Then leave them to drip in the shower. When they don't drip I hang them somewhere to dry and tug at them.

Relevant tip; If you ever were to wash heavier tablecloths, like linens or damask, you have to do either procedure above, then fold it nice and tight, and then get help with tugging it from both ends. Then proceed with unfolding - tugging - unfolding - tugging.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Same, but I wash them by hand. Then leave them to drip in the shower. When they don't drip I hang them somewhere to dry and tug at them.

Relevant tip; If you ever were to wash heavier tablecloths, like linens or damask, you have to do either procedure above, then fold it nice and tight, and then get help with tugging it from both ends. Then proceed with unfolding - tugging - unfolding - tugging.

Great advice.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
(Just for a quick second message, if you're the person who messaged me about trench coats in cosmos in XS earlier today, please do so again, as I accidentally pressed the wrong button and the message went irretrievably down the plug hole.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics