• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

firemovesaway

Reaction score
S.E.H Kelly are wonderful, but I'm somewhat frustrated by the sizing.
I'm 5 feet 9 1/2 inches tall and I weigh 12.5 stone. Since I'm not from the UK, I can't try the clothes on personally.
The taller S.E.H Kelly model is taller and thinner than me, and the other one is only a bit shorter than me but weighs more than a bit less than me.
I really like the car coat, but which size would I buy - S or M? The model is taller and he's wearing S, but my shoulders are much closer to 18 1/2 than 17 1/2 inches. It seems to me that neither would really fit me. Should I buy the hood jacket instead? The shorter model is wearing size S, but I'm thinking about buying size M.
What do you think?

P.S. I'm planning on losing a few pounds, but I bought the S sized trousers (BTW I'm selling them, check out marketplace if you're interested!) and realized that I wouldn't be able to wear them even then (the waist!)... So yeah, I could go with something that would feel a little tight right now, but only if it's a little. On the other hand, I don't know whether me losing weight would help or just complicate things further - right now I'm leaning on the M side. Should I consider S instead? Are jackets and coats more forgiving than the trousers?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello there

Our sizes are fairly standard, as far as ready-to-wear garments go. There are no great surprises or deviations from the norm. Perhaps we are a touch smaller than some other European brands, and larger than others, but all in all, myself and our customers find us more or less "normal".

The car coat is intended to be (able to be) worn over a jacket and shirt, and if that is your intention then I'd recommend the M (designed for a 40" chest gent). Otherwise, if you'd like something more fitted, and are happy to forego the ability to wear it over a few other things, then S (made for a 38" chest) seems the way to go.

It has a raglan sleeve, the car coat, so the shoulder measurement is not much of an issue.

Of course, there's no substitute for trying things on before buying -- something, sadly, I can't really help with.

If I can help with anything else, be sure to let me know, either on here or at [email protected].

I hope that helps.

Paul

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Which style of jacket?
We are using the first length of Ventile Ripstop to make the tour jacket.

Seems to make the most sense.

What doesn't make sense is that we are making a padded version of said jacket. You know: just in time for summer.

The padded tour jacket is part of our AW15 collection for our stockists in Japan, and we were so pleased with the sample we made, just last month, that we wanted to plunge ahead and use the new cloth to make a small production run for our own website / workshop. That is the rationale for our seasonal negligence.

The body will be the black-navy Ventile Ripstop (world-first, etc. etc.) and the collar will be deadstock thick-thin corduroy. The padding / wadding is Primaloft Eco, which is a very light and high-performance material indeed. No quilting, no Marshmallow Man chunkiness; just a light amount of wadding to give the jacket some extra body and shape.

Paul

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Paul. I'll be keeping an eye out for the new cloth for sure.

Just for a spot of closure on the stripe-herringbone linen I mentioned last month -- the one woven in the Outer Hebrides, slap-bang in the middle of tweed country -- here is the jacket:

http://www.sehkelly.com/sb2-jacket-in-wheat-natural-herringbone-linen/

The cloth is quite unlike anything we've worked with before. It looks like tweed, and is thick and coarse to feel. But it behaves like linen, as you might expect.

Making a tailored garment with it proved quite a challenge, since it slides around a lot on the cutting table, and under the machine, but we are pleased overall with the outcome.

Paul

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Looks fantastic. Where on the Hebrideans is it woven?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Cool, took a bus from there if I remember correctly.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Which style of jacket?

In the interests of finishing what I started late last month, the new Ventile Ripstop tour jacket is now finished, and looks something like this.

It is, as mentioned last time, the first garment ever to use this new type of Ventile (so please forgive my mentioning it twice).

Paul

Sam5p

Reaction score
When will this go on sale? I do not see it on the website. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads