• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moimael

Reaction score
Did anyone fix their belt loops on the Balmacaan? If yes, did you do it as instructed by Paul (on the seams on the back side and just above the front pockets) in terms of placement) or did you place them higher?

It's being done as we speak, I get it back tomorrow. I chose to have them flush with the top of the pockets because it's also my natural waist. My alteration tailor was adamant to not put them on the rear seam though since it would be impractical. I went with his advice to have them on the side seams. It also has the benefit of being more hidden if I choose to wear it without the belt. The downside is that the alteration is a bit more complex because of the lining.

I hope I'll be happy with that.

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's being done as we speak, I get it back tomorrow. I chose to have them flush with the top of the pockets because it's also my natural waist. My alteration tailor was adamant to not put them on the rear seam though since it would be impractical. I went with his advice to have them on the side seams. It also has the benefit of being more hidden if I choose to wear it without the belt. The downside is that the alteration is a bit more complex because of the lining.

I hope I'll be happy with that.

How many tailors does it take to change a lightbulb?

100 — 1 to change it, and the other 99 to tell him he's doing it wrong.

WizardVigilante

Reaction score
Back with better lighting this time but still my limited photography skills. The duster, paired with an actual stockman's hat from BC hats I very authentically acquired in a gift shop under the Louvre over a decade ago.

IMG_7875_censored.jpg
IMG_7878_censored.jpg
IMG_7879_censored.jpg

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Speaking of one-piece sleeves, the trench coat in Herdwick tweed is now complete (the photograph below is NOT the same cloth but much the same).

trench-hanging-wall-1@2x.jpg

They are exactly as hoped, but fit small on account of ...

(a) the stupendous thickness of the cloth, and

(b) the cloth shrinking during the making of the coats because, well, that's what special, small-scale, single-width artisan tweed made with the organic wool of heritage-breed sheep tends often to do ... but which I forgot at the outset.

So if you are an M like me, size L really will be the only way to go.

The cloth is slightly less thick than that of the balmacaans this year, but the yarn is much, much harder (the grizzled and wild Herdwick beasts versus the plump and cloud-like merino sweeties).

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Csus2

Reaction score
They don't do made to measure but they do make single coats in one of their sizes for you, using a fabric they have on hand. Or, at least, they did so for me once. They are also, in this instance, willing to alter the length of the coat and the sleeves for you. It costs more than the prices on the website - maybe 20% more? - and it may not be as good as MTM, but their fit is generally excellent and the raglan shoulders make for forgiving coats.

That being said, the limited nature of the styleforum balmacaan makes me suspect they used up all of those fabrics. Perhaps they have another tweed lying around though!

E: I assumed you meant European 48, i.e. 38 and that they were just sold out of that size. If you are looking for a chest size above that of their xl, I don't think they can help you, sadly.

Last edited:

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't do made to measure but they do make single coats in one of their sizes for you, using a fabric they have on hand. Or, at least, they did so for me once. They are also, in this instance, willing to alter the length of the coat and the sleeves for you. It costs more than the prices on the website - maybe 20% more? - and it may not be as good as MTM, but their fit is generally excellent and the raglan shoulders make for forgiving coats.

That being said, the limited nature of the styleforum balmacaan makes me suspect they used up all of those fabrics. Perhaps they have another tweed lying around though!

E: I assumed you meant European 48, i.e. 38 and that they were just sold out of that size. If you are looking for a chest size above that of their xl, I don't think they can help you, sadly.
Size 48 US which is not what they offered in the green balmacaan

Csus2

Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately you'll have to look elsewhere, I think

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Do you offer MTO or MTM as I am a size 48 in balmacaan?

No MTO, sorry to say, but as a few others have said, the coat does come up quite big, so an XL might be worth considering.

We also have one or two balmacaans from last year, in which we might have one or two in 48 (i.e. XXL in our sizing) and which are not listed on the website.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No MTO, sorry to say, but as a few others have said, the coat does come up quite big, so an XL might be worth considering.

We also have one or two balmacaans from last year, in which we might have one or two in 48 (i.e. XXL in our sizing) and which are not listed on the website.
Can you please provide me with some pictures I am looking for a dark green but am open to other Colors

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics