1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

S.E.H Kelly

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JohnnyLaw, Dec 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. zissou

zissou Senior member

Not as soft as you expected it to be?? That lambswool is one of the softest non-cashmere yarns I've felt.

2. jet

jet Senior member

3. irbe

irbe Senior member

http://www.trunkclothiers.com/

Has some SEH Kelly on sale. Picked up SB3 Jacket despite the weak CAD Can't wait as i've been eyeing this brand for awhile

4. JChance

JChance Senior member

Thanks, I grabbed the oxford shirt in S, hopefully it fits my 38" chest and 5'9" height. And 20 GBP for shipping to USA hurts.

5. irbe

irbe Senior member

Picked up my first SEHK piece at trunk clothiers (great customer service):

http://www.trunkclothiers.com/sale/s-e-h-kelly-for-trunk-sb3-blazer-fawn.html

Pros
    - Jacket is well made.
    - Design wise I like the jacket

Con
    - Jacket is made from Lancashire Brushed Cotton Twill which is really thick. They say it will soften up with some wear but right now it honestly feels like im wearing cardboard. There is now real drape to the jacket so it just sits awkward. Sizing wise I went with a small (48 in Cabourn business / mallory), but unsure if I sized correctly as the jacket doesn't fit right - again due to how rigid it feels. Thinking of maybe doing a wash to see if it will soften up the cotton / maybe shrink it a little. For now the jacket definatly seems more like an outwear piece vs a sports jacket

6. sehkelly

sehkelly Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Hello

Yes -- the cotton-twill is a heavyweight outerwear cloth (450gsm or thereabouts). Typically we make trench coats and work jackets with it.

The cloth is intended to soften and adapt with wear. Washing it certainly will soften it, but probably best to wear it a few times, first, before doing so. I have a trench coat in the same cloth myself, which has been worn for a couple of years, and it is now the softest thing around -- sort of like how raw denim softens up to an unrecognisable degree after a year or so. Its brushed handle, already quite soft, also becomes more exaggerated over time; a customer the other day mistook my old trench for moleskin -- which was a bit of a stretch, I must admit, but still: gives you an impression the degree to which is mellows with time.

Paul

7. irbe

irbe Senior member

Yes the cloth is very soft to the touch despite it being so rigid.

8. JChance

JChance Senior member

Was the Small tight or loose on you? i'm a 38" chest and I almost went with a Medium, given that the model on Trunk wears a M with a 38" chest.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  9. sehkelly

If I might chip in ...

I would expect that, in a cloth so thick, a size S will be a snug fit for someone of your size.

Of course, it depends really on how you want it to fit -- for a more relaxed look and feel, or to wear more than, say, a regular shirt beneath it, a size M would most likely be a better bet.

Paul

10. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Any chance of a brown peacoat restock in S?

11. sehkelly

Afraid not, no.

They are a slim cut, and fit small, however, so an M might be worth considering (especially if you're planning on wearing a few layers beneath it).

And please by all means drop me a line at paul@sehkelly.com if I can answer any specifics about fit or measurement.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  12. sehkelly

Hello folks

The two of us have been really rather busy of late.

The first two months of the year are always all-hands-to-the-pump with the orders of our customers in Japan. Hectic. But then the dust settles, and we settle down to making things for the rest of the world -- i.e. for our workshop and website.

Hence there's a veritable bunch of new things here at the minute. Cotton, corduroy, and linen: our usual spring-summer cloth triumverate. A smattering of Ventile, too.

One other thing, in the pipeline but soon to emerge, is linen woven in the Outer Hebrides. Harris Tweed country and all that. It is a linen which looks a lot like tweed, in fact -- coarse, thick, a sort of hand-made quality to it, which I suppose is to be expected give its woven and finished with exactly the same apparatus -- but is completely and utterly and only flax-based.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remarkable stuff. Brings a bit of the earthiness of the woollens we use in winter to the warmer half of the year.

Paul

4 people like this.
  13. shakemyhandplz

shakemyhandplz Active Member

14. sehkelly

15. shakemyhandplz

shakemyhandplz Active Member

Darn I'd be very interested in a car coat with a contrasting collar.

16. sehkelly

In that case, perhaps send an email to either Nanamica (http://www.nanamica.com/en/) or Maiden Shop (http://maidens.shop-pro.jp/).

They both ought to stock the coat in question.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  17. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

So this is interesting. Any further information available as to when we may see this made into something and what that might be?

18. sehkelly

Evening

Sorry for the rather overdue response.

Yes -- the garments are in work now, and ought to be online in about one week.

There is an SB2 jacket, and a pair of shorts. The finished cloth is fantastic. It has the appearance of coarse tweed, as I allude to in my previous post: a striped herringbone of white, natural, and dark-natural yarn. It is thick, and with the irregularities and slubs you might expect of hand-woven linen. But, because it is linen, it is very dry and crisp and light, and a nice loose weave meaning it creases no less readily than wool.

The colour this time is light and "summery", and we are so keen on the cloth -- particularly since it adds dimensions to UK-woven warm weather cloth which has until now eluded us -- that we already have some darker and more sober cloth in work for next year.

Paul

19. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Thanks for the reply Paul. I'll be keeping an eye out for the new cloth for sure.

20. sehkelly

... speaking of cloth, we began cutting today a world-first in the wonderful world of all-natural performance fabrics: Ventile Ripstop L24.

This has been developed by the nice people at Ventile, over the past year, in homage to the nylon ripstop version of Ventile or yore. Difference is, this time, the cloth is 100% cotton.

[​IMG]

I believe we are the first people to get our hands on it, and we're not hanging around: there will be a handful of jackets made from the cloth available towards the end of the month.

Paul