S.E.H Kelly

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JohnnyLaw, Dec 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

always need vents on jackets.

2. Kuznetsov

Kuznetsov Well-Known Member

As an owner of 2 10 ply jumpers and the original peacoat I would argue that the jumpers are warmer. Sitting watching football whilst a string wind blows in off the north sea is what I base my opinion on.

3. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

Vents (single or double) make my ass look bigger.
    Cary Grant wore ventless jackets for the same reason IMO.

4. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Double vents are the best vents.

5. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

My ass brings the girls to the yard tbh.

Also, vents aren't extraneous if you put your hands in your pockets.

6. JChance

JChance Senior member

I concur. Ventless makes me feel like a high schooler wearing it.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The most formal of jackets are still ventless, though... Evening suits are traditionally made ventless because the only place you are going to park your butt is in your seat.

8. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

My tweed jacket is ventless and I have no problems when I sit down.
    I unbutton it.

9. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

jacket length 29.5 in and below... I'd prefer ventless. 31 inches and up, vents would look nice, but I don't mind ventless. this is on a 6 feet height.

10. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Do you guys not put your hands in your pockets?

even on tuxedo jackets, vents are essential for me

11. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

pockets inaccessible means jacket often buttoned, hence a more formal setting... in which admittedly longer and vented jacket are worn.

It's the Barena-style jackets that I usually wear unbuttoned, therefore access to pockets are easy and vents would be unnecessary.

12. sehkelly

sehkelly Senior member Affiliate Vendor

What venting. (Sorry.)

Speaking of vents, we just added one (and only one) to a new development -- a casual SB2 -- at the factory. We have found that the short and very simple SB1 is good for some people, the more traditional trappings of the SB3 are good for others -- and so what better way to satisfy anyone left out than with an SB2.

As well as being the mathematical average of the SB1 and SB3, the SB2 will introduce a few new ideas and motifs we have been working on since the spring. The notch on the collar has been lowered by at least one inch, which seems to change the proportions at the front of the jacket -- or rather, how they appear -- considerably. We are also playing around with stitch-through pockets, softer shoulders, and slightly narrower arm-holes than our jackets have previously had.

Further down the line, once the development is complete, we hope this jacket will be a candidate for the new Hebridean tweed, which as mentioned above ought to go into work next month. They will be sober, I think, but full of texture, and I hope cloth and jacket will go together well.

Paul

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

13. sehkelly

sehkelly Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Afternoon all

The last of our shipments to Japan left the factory this week, which is good news for many reasons -- especially because it means what we call the "overlap garments" (garments which we sell in Japan and on our website) are as good as finished.

The first of are calico-cotton shirts, which are made from a natural ecru cotton, and then garment-dyed by some clever colour-masters in the East Midlands. In true time-honoured garment-dyed tradition, the cloth crumples up a little bit, and you get that nice satisfying crinkled quality at the seams.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second set of garments are the first things we've made with wool for quite some time. It is a suit -- or rather a three-button jacket and trouser, made with the same lambswool-merino suiting from an old mill in West Yorkshire. It is good winter suiting, being fairly thick, but with a surprisingly good drape and very soft handle (thanks to the merino no doubt).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Horn buttons all round, buggy lining for the trousers and to-the-knee lining for the trouser, and two shades of grey to start with.

Oh -- and one vent.

Paul

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

14. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

:plain:

Throwing my lot in with the ventless crowd although I like B!CD's idea of optional vents for impromptu horseback rides and pocket usage.

15. soender

soender Well-Known Member

Exactly. That detail give the oppertunity to have more relaxed fit, and is one I like very much on my Barbour Bedale.

(One could argue that double vents on a coat is for farmer, and have no place in town. Alas in this day, a gentlemen is forced to tolerate such blatant behavior).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014