• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jalebi

Reaction score
The balmacaan this year is absolutely true to size. I don't think we've had one return on the grounds of sizing.

So, if you go to size L, you will have a coat ... one size too big. It's a raglan-sleeve overcoat, though, so isn't as size-specific as e.g. a tailored jacket. I happen to think they look quite good "oversized", but I'd really only consider it if you're prone to wearing lots of layer beneath.

Cheers both.

Living in London I'd wear a jumper underneath, but not much more, doesn't get all that cold here comparatively speaking. I reckon it's best I wait out for a future version in an M.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Cheers both.

Living in London I'd wear a jumper underneath, but not much more, doesn't get all that cold here comparatively speaking. I reckon it's best I wait out for a future version in an M.

Yep!

I am quite open to the idea of a larger overcoat ... but the balmacaan is intended anyway to fit over a few other things, so going up a size is very likely overkill.

10dence

Reaction score
How much does the watch cap differ from last year's in size?

Oh and that dusk blue tweed, any chance of it making an appearance in something else further on?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How much does the watch cap differ from last year's in size?

Oh and that dusk blue tweed, any chance of it making an appearance in something else further on?

It grips the head a bit more.

It is slightly chunkier (so the tuck-stitch part is more pronounced and textured).

There are three colours in the knit rather than two.

And most importantly, it is roomier. It can thus either be worn tall in the trendy "conehead" style, or rolled down either more deeply or twice-over as below.

watch-cap-geelong-wool-conifer-green-worn-1@2x.jpg
watch-cap-geelong-wool-conifer-green-worn-2@2x.jpg

watch-cap-geelong-lambswool-imperial-worn-2@2x.jpg

watch-cap-geelong-lambswool-imperial-worn-1@2x.jpg

The tweed in dusk -- maybe, maybe ...

It's certainly a current favourite of mine, and we've made a note and filed it away. The line-up for AW21 is already starting to take shape, and I'm not sure if there will be room for it, but, well, maybe.

Last edited:

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
... we did make a few more watch caps available the other day, by the way.

And a few scarves in the same colour.

crewneck-geelong-wool-conifer-green-worn-1@2x.jpg
crewneck-geelong-wool-conifer-green-worn-2@2x.jpg

And here's the donkey jacket being worn in the wild (outside the workshop, that is). This version, in black, seems to have found appeal among those of a certain generation who fondly remember the binmen of their youth.

donkey-jacket-woollen-melton-cotton-black-worn-3@2x.jpg
donkey-jacket-woollen-melton-cotton-black-worn-1@2x.jpg
donkey-jacket-woollen-melton-cotton-black-worn-2s@2x.jpg

asewonder

Reaction score
I recently purchased the Merino Hopsack shirt in Alabaster and it’s the nicest wool shirt I’ve ever handled. Unfortunately the size Small is tight in the chest for me so I’ll be returning it.

Before I do so, if anyone in the US is interested in it, I’d be happy to sell at a small discount in order to save Paul from the refund and myself the hassle of shipping to the UK.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's beginning to look a lot like spring at the factory, with more things already made for early next year than in any other year in our history.

I wrote a bit about it here at https://www.sehkelly.com/words/2020/12/the-advent-of-spring/.

There are also a few words about the revamped (again) car coat and an in-progress stockman coat (or duster coat, as sometimes they seem to be called).

TREEZEES

Reaction score
I recently purchased the Merino Hopsack shirt in Alabaster and it’s the nicest wool shirt I’ve ever handled. Unfortunately the size Small is tight in the chest for me so I’ll be returning it.

Before I do so, if anyone in the US is interested in it, I’d be happy to sell at a small discount in order to save Paul from the refund and myself the hassle of shipping to the UK.
send me a dm if you haven't sold already, would be interested!

BryanForrestKim

Reaction score
The duffle coat is back this week, too.

It is top of mind right now because I have misplaced one single toggle somewhere at this here factory and can't put the docket to bed until I find it.

View attachment 1463028 View attachment 1463029 View attachment 1463030 View attachment 1463031 View attachment 1463032 View attachment 1463033 View attachment 1463034

It's the same as last year, only with a tweak to the pockets (which were two-way last year, but have been pared back to single, top-down access again, like the old days) and a few other very minor alterations here and there.

Back in stock at time of writing!

We also still have a handful of the lambswool Elysian ones made last year (and which never went online, and thus became "workshop exclusive", which isn't as good as it sounds when the workshop is so rarely open to the public).

Sad to have missed this! If anyone is in possession of a duffle coat in size L that they would like to part with, please do contact me. Paul, you mentioned the Elysian duffle coats - any chance you have some in a size L lying about (also is the sizing the same as the regular duffle coat)?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Sad to have missed this! If anyone is in possession of a duffle coat in size L that they would like to part with, please do contact me. Paul, you mentioned the Elysian duffle coats - any chance you have some in a size L lying about (also is the sizing the same as the regular duffle coat)?

We have one in light grey, yes, but in dark navy we have M and XL but nothing in between.

The sizing is the same as the regular one, yes, but because the cloth is thicker, it will feel more snug on the body.

Funcheese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings - A SF member reached out to me after seeing my plea here for a Balmacaan. Said member purchased last year's model in a medium size grey and dark blue flecked lambswool tweed (25oz) Having worn only twice he offered it up to me. By all accounts of measurement and description of sizing of previous year's models I am a small. I decided to take a chance with the medium because these coats don't come around often. This amazingness of this garment I can't do justice with in words. Unfortunately it's too large for me :(. I am offering it up here and will continue my quest for a size small, hopefully not having to wait until next year. PM me if interested.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Greetings - A SF member reached out to me after seeing my plea here for a Balmacaan. Said member purchased last year's model in a medium size grey and dark blue flecked lambswool tweed (25oz) Having worn only twice he offered it up to me. By all accounts of measurement and description of sizing of previous year's models I am a small. I decided to take a chance with the medium because these coats don't come around often. This amazingness of this garment I can't do justice with in words. Unfortunately it's too large for me :(. I am offering it up here and will continue my quest for a size small, hopefully not having to wait until next year. PM me if interested.

Alas!

If you can share with me which one it was, I can provide the original photographs from the website (if that would help).

Thibault S

Reaction score

Hey there!

Where are you located? Some friends of mine could be interested. Being the navy flecked tweed from last year, it must be the one below, right?

1608654181971.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads