• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NO MERCY

Reaction score
this isnt my first time saying it, but I cant help chiming in every time the gansey is mentioned.

It's awesome.

I've got the brown from last time around, and it's one of my favorite sweaters. This charcoal has me seriously considering another.

edit to add: i guess i wasnt the only one appreciative of the gansey's qualities. My bursting-at-the-seams knitwear drawer is thankful though.

RozenKristal

Reaction score
Gansey!

The gansey is back!

View attachment 1489988View attachment 1489989View attachment 1489991View attachment 1489993View attachment 1489995

We have some in dark navy coming along in a few days, too.

It's the same as last year, but as with most of the other new knitwear, there is more colour depth / shade variation within the knit, which makes it more interesting to my eyes.

In my excitement, I forgot to photograph my favourite part of it, which is how the hind sleeve seam is joined onto the rear yoke seam.
There is always next year...
Are you going to keep this same formula for the knits next year or gonna try something else?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
There is always next year...
Are you going to keep this same formula for the knits next year or gonna try something else?

We won't change the style of the knitwear next year, as we're happy and satisfied to keep ploughing the same furlough.

Not to say we're complacent: new designs that serve a purpose or fill a niche, new yarn developments (I am currently looking into worsted-spun knot yarns and wool-worsted blends) and who knows what else that will feed into and hopefully strengthen things.

Even a incongruous passing comment from the knitwear maker can have profound impact (well, profound to me) -- such as when we started inverting seams here and there a few years back.

There's often also cross-pollination between knitwear and other garments. Full under-sleeve / body gusset on the boatneck came about from developing a gusset on the linen smock last year.

It might look like nothing much changes, but the pot is always bubbling.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
this isnt my first time saying it, but I cant help chiming in every time the gansey is mentioned.

It's awesome.

I've got the brown from last time around, and it's one of my favorite sweaters. This charcoal has me seriously considering another.

edit to add: i guess i wasnt the only one appreciative of the gansey's qualities. My bursting-at-the-seams knitwear drawer is thankful though.
Great to hear! Cheers.

RozenKristal

Reaction score
That is great to hear. Please hit me up with the gangsey next year. I hope to get one :) in a non navy color.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The new big parka is ready!

parka-major-cotton-sail-cloth-navy-4s@2x.jpg
parka-major-cotton-sail-cloth-navy-3s@2x.jpg
parka-major-cotton-sail-cloth-navy-12s@2x.jpg
parka-major-cotton-sail-cloth-navy-10s@2x.jpg
parka-major-cotton-sail-cloth-navy-17s@2x.jpg
parka-major-cotton-sail-cloth-navy-14s@2x.jpg
parka-major-cotton-sail-cloth-navy-13s@2x.jpg
parka-major-cotton-sail-cloth-navy-7s@2x.jpg
parka-major-cotton-sail-cloth-navy-6s@2x.jpg
parka-major-cotton-sail-cloth-navy-5s@2x.jpg

A lot of weatherproof cotton sail-cloth goes into this one, with the full length, the wide wrap, the double-layer front and hood. 4m or more, I think. Hefty.

I had the most experienced and talented machinist at the factory responsible for making them quite adamant that he'd never do so again unless significant changes were made to the design, and that frankly no self-respecting factory in London would, either — which I take as a badge of honour. The cloth is very hard and the coat is very big and the seams are all turned, which is always a recipe for difficulty, plus there are lots of quite precise, close-together elements, such as the envelope pockets sitting more or less top of the belt channel and its jetted opening.

It employs the same belt / no belt idea employed by the parka minor, namely that since the belt runs under the pockets, it can be removed if belts aren't your thing without any sign of absence.

We made a second colour, too — but when making the coats, we spotted quite a few faults and irregularities with the cloth, and thus the coats have had to be side-lined. A shame! (Not sure why these little declarations have crept into my posts; looks like some sort of late-adopter Trump thing. Sad.)

Jlord

Reaction score
Curious if anyone can help identify which collection featured the Balmacaan in Navy-Grey but half-lined with Melton wool?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.