• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

S&D socks, anyone?

TrailofTears

Reaction score
I did a little searching, but couldn't find much in the way of information on socks in the S&D forum. I was just interested in hearing/seeing a little of what people like and don't like in terms of socks with denim and casual wear. I know that most people on S&D don't really expand their color palette past black, white, and blue/indigo, but I'd be curious to see some pics of people's favorites. Personally, I have a hard time figuring out what socks to wear with various casual outfits and I can't imagine that I'm the only one. This doesn't need to become an "Official" thread or anything, but I think it could be a good resource and an easy place to put questions about the hidden-but-oh-so-essential layer of footwear.

Potential topics:

- Color
- Pattern
- Material
- Brands
- Length

All very interesting stuff, to be sure...Anyways, let's discuss.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wear an off-white, tan coloured pair pretty well every day.

Lachy

Reaction score
I love Paul Smith socks. Some interesting patterns and colours. I don't like plain socks too much, seems a little boring to me.

Pangolin

Reaction score
I mostly wear Gap socks because I can't see myself paying more for that on my student budget. I need to find warm socks for the winter though, my feet are freezing in the snow.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never wear white socks unless I am working out. If I run out of non-white socks, I go sockless. That's how adamant I am.

Unfortunately, I am also broke so if you need cheap non-white socks (and I do mean cheap) you can't go wrong with Old Navy when sales times hit. Lot's of socks that can go as low as $1, or 2 for $1. Normally expect between the $1-$5 range and since they tend to get snatched up quickly, anything below 4 is a pretty good deal IMO. They're cheap and don't last the longest but you should have enough that it doesn't become a problem.

As with the actual socks themselves, anything goes. I prefer simply stripes, repeating patterns, interesting "texture" look (think NdG knits but in various colors), essentially everything as long as it is not plain.

Lengthwise they usually fully extend to mid calf as most of my shoes at ankle boots.

I should post a picture to give you an idea of the variety and fun you can have with socks. When I feel I have enough of everything else I will probably save up $100 and go crazy and "nice" sock brands (as others have mentioned, Paul Smith) but for now I am set. There's also an added bonus of no one really seeing them except for yourself and at best, they catch a glimpse (which IMO is the best kind of detail).

TrailofTears

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lachy
I love Paul Smith socks. Some interesting patterns and colours. I don't like plain socks too much, seems a little boring to me.

Originally Posted by Lel
I never wear white socks unless I am working out. If I run out of non-white socks, I go sockless. That's how adamant I am.

Unfortunately, I am also broke so if you need cheap non-white socks (and I do mean cheap) you can't go wrong with Old Navy when sales times hit. Lot's of socks that can go as low as $1, or 2 for $1. Normally expect between the $1-$5 range and since they tend to get snatched up quickly, anything below 4 is a pretty good deal IMO. They're cheap and don't last the longest but you should have enough that it doesn't become a problem.

As with the actual socks themselves, anything goes. I prefer simply stripes, repeating patterns, interesting "texture" look (think NdG knits but in various colors), essentially everything as long as it is not plain.

Lengthwise they usually fully extend to mid calf as most of my shoes at ankle boots.

I should post a picture to give you an idea of the variety and fun you can have with socks. When I feel I have enough of everything else I will probably save up $100 and go crazy and "nice" sock brands (as others have mentioned, Paul Smith) but for now I am set. There's also an added bonus of no one really seeing them except for yourself and at best, they catch a glimpse (which IMO is the best kind of detail).

I'm also a fan of socks that are a bit of fun, but I'm not always sure when they are appropriate and when they are tacky. I really like PS socks, but I'm rarely sure when I should/should not be wearing them. Are you guys wearing multi-colored socks with white sneaks? Brown boots?

Also, I would like to hear people's opinions on when "matching" colors are appropriate vs. when "clashing" colors are okay. How do you pair colored socks with your overall outfit and colors? Thanks.

Oh, and pics as examples would be much appreciated.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm poor...and well nobody sees my socks most of the time so I keep it cheap. During warm weather I just avoid shoes I need to wear socks w/, which isn't hard except for running...
During the winter I switch among: mid-calf black athletic socks, a pair of thick wool ragg socks, some cheap h&m argyle socks, and some jcrew-sale argyle socks. It'd be easier if I wasn't an 8...as the 'fits sizes 6-12' socks don't work so well if you're on the smaller end of that range.

korce

Reaction score
Simon's (department store in Montreal) has some great wool blend socks under their house brand name. They're not super heavy weight, but much warmer than wearing cotton still, and come in a variety of fun patterns & colors. Retail is under $10 CDN. I have about 6 or so pairs of these, which are my favorite SW&D socks for fall and winter. I wish you could buy them here in Toronto...I pick up a few pairs every time I'm visitng friends in MTL.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Check out Banana Republic at the end of season clearance. Their socks are always marked down to $2-$3/pair with some interesting and vibrant options.

skunkworks

Reaction score
I was at a local Nordstrom Rack yesterday and they had a wall full of Panthrellas for $10 and also Robert Talbott socks in nice colors/patterns for $6. I bought 7 pairs
frown.gif
So check your local Nordstrom Rack!

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite socks are a pair of red cashmere socks by Marcoliani. So warm.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gold Toe makes up about 99% of my socks. I don't like getting too creative with my socks for the most part.

I've got about 18 pairs of black athletic crew socks, 18 pairs of white athletic crew socks, 2 "khaki/tan" crews (a little thinner than the athletics) and a pair of brown in the same material as the khakis (got em in a 3 pack). I'd say for the money, Gold Toe has never let me down. They don't sag nearly the way cheap Target socks are prone to do, same with some "fancy" dress socks I used to own, and the top elastic doesn't bust nearly as easily. In fact, I can't think of the last time I had the elastic top bust since I switched to Gold Toe...

*hrm.. that sounded very astro-turfy. I assure you it's not. I just like my Gold Toe socks. I also like Calvin Klein boxer briefs (although my haynes are okay, they "sag" too much) and my CK undershirts. It's a personal pref thing, I guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads