• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

S&D People - San Fran trip - Guide me

Brian SD

Reaction score
Going up to SF on an impromptu 5 day trip next weekend and I need recs on cheap things to do, good small places to get food, etc. I've been there a couple times and love it but this is the first time I'll be going as the most experienced SF traveler.

I know we've got some SF members up there so hook me up dudes. So far the only things I know I want to do are MOMA and Alcatraz, at the request of my friend who is coming. This is her second to last weekend in the USA before she goes back to Japan so it's gotta be a really good time.

I'm going to be staying in the Mission, at Elements Hotel. I heard it's cool, hope it's not too shady.

Also, I fully expect for Digital_Denim, tangerine, Ayn, whoever else to meet me for a beer or something.

Dill

Reaction score
I went to the De Young museum the other weekend for the first time and it was pretty cool. Its a smaller museum and you can probably get through the whole thing in around two hours or so. They currently have an Vivienne Westwood exhibit which was interesting from a "fashion" perspective. Walking around Golden Gate Park (where the museum) is fun in itself too. For food, I would check out the Rogue Ales public house. I haven't actually been there because my friends are lame and don't want to go, but they have all of the Rogue beers on tap.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend the De Young as well. Very cool place, but the building is probably one of the ugliest pieces of architecture I have ever seen.

GameBoy

Reaction score
Great chinese food for great prices with amazing service: House of Nanking Ranked best Chinese in SF for a very long time.

Pier 39 is still neat for those who haven't seen it, but take the Cable-car to Hyde St. pier, then walk to Ghiradheli square. The view is better and it's still being a tourist without being too over-run with commercialization. It keeps things homey.
Also, while you're up there, check out the Cannery. Norman's ice-cream inside the courtyard is a great shop and there is an Italian sandwich place across the street (towards the water) that I can't remember the name of... starts with a "C" and has large red letters for it's sign. They make a great panini.

The De Young is still amazing. The building is an architectural feat, like it or hate it. And, it's intended to change color over time. Just watch.

If the Giants are in town, AT&T park is a great ball-park. Order the garlic fries and you won't be sorry.

At some point, ditch your group and visit Self Edge @ 18th and valencia.

heyleroy

Reaction score
yep-listen to GameBoy...i saw this thread and immediately thought to recommend house of nan king...also check out some of the walk up mexican places in mission-most are fantastic.

GameBoy

Reaction score
Cappuros is the name of the sandwich shop.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For Chinese the best is R&G Lounge. Nanking is pretty good, but R&G is much better.

In the mission the restaurants that I woud hit would be La Taqueria and defintely Delfina Pizzeria for the best Pizza in SF.

SFMOMA is alright, but the De Young is a must see if you are in to architecture at all. The collection is kind of average.

If you are "involved" with this girl, you should walk around the botanical gardens after the museum. It is right next door and is super cool, especialy this time of the year.

Pier 39 sucks IMO, but I am not a tourist.

For nightlife in the Mission I would go to Elbo Room and some other bars nearby. I prefer North Beach for bars, but what do I know.

Alcatraz is actually pretty cool. Once is enough, but if you haven't been there...

Avoid the Marina like the plague. You will hate it.

5 days is a lot in San Francisco. I would get bored. I would be happy to meet you guys for a drink, but I am old and lame, so you might not want me.

If you have some extra $$$ lying around for lunch, hit Swan Oyster Depot. It is kind of a landmark fish counter that has awesome seafood for lunch. It is dirty and disgusting but worth it.

I'll post more if I can remember what I like about this hellhole.

If you like movies, the film festival is going on right now. Many are in Japanese if that is a draw. Tonight is the opening night and I am trying to get out of the party, but having no luck.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks guys. I'm sure there will be some downtime but that's cool because my favorite part of travelling is just walking around killing time getting coffee, etc.

We're not involved, and she's the only person coming with me. I would have no reservations about forcing her to go to Self Edge, and I'll probably take you up on that drink, iammatt.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Wow.. Elements? you're staying two blocks from Self Edge! Definitely eat at Foreign Cinema which is two doors down from your hotel, their brunch is great if you're looking to eat there without blowing a fortune. Also hit up Tartine on the corner of 18th and Guerrerro, very close to where you're staying. I actually live a block from your hotel, maybe we can meet up for some Styleforum late night action.
smile.gif
Don't go to the Piers, it's seriously a waste of time. Instead go to the Ferry Building, which is like Food-Mecca if you're into food. Also, don't forget to hit up Zeitgeist. Don't ask what it is, just go there. They open at 8am and close at 2am. It's on the corner of Duboce and Valencia, you might see me there. Just trust me on this, Zeitgeist is the coolest ******* thing in San Francisco. That's saying a lot considering SF is the epicenter for cool. Just kidding. Kinda.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The De Young has a collection of mediocre European art and what perhaps could be termed as bric-a-bac.

Even worse, however, is the Legion of Honor's collection which looks like someone's estate sale.

GameBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
Also, don't forget to hit up Zeitgeist. Don't ask what it is, just go there.
They open at 8am and close at 2am.
It's on the corner of Duboce and Valencia, you might see me there.
Just trust me on this, Zeitgeist is the coolest ******* thing in San Francisco.
That's saying a lot considering SF is the epicenter for cool.
Just kidding.

Kinda.

I 2nd this.

They have pinball. Nothing says cool like pinball.

You think that I'm joking, don't you.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GameBoy
I 2nd this.

They have pinball. Nothing says cool like pinball.

You think that I'm joking, don't you.

They sell more beer than anybody else in San Francisco with the exception of Pac Bell Park. That's including every single music venue.

Brian SD

Reaction score
****, I'm so excited. This girl doesn't even know yet. As of last night she thought the trip was a flop and not going to happen and her last weekend in America is gonna be the same ol' ****.

Dill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
Wow.. Elements?
you're staying two blocks from Self Edge!
Definitely eat at Foreign Cinema which is two doors down from your hotel, their brunch is great if you're looking to eat there without blowing a fortune.
Also hit up Tartine on the corner of 18th and Guerrerro, very close to where you're staying.
I actually live a block from your hotel, maybe we can meet up for some Styleforum late night action.
smile.gif

Don't go to the Piers, it's seriously a waste of time.
Instead go to the Ferry Building, which is like Food-Mecca if you're into food.

Also, don't forget to hit up Zeitgeist. Don't ask what it is, just go there.
They open at 8am and close at 2am.
It's on the corner of Duboce and Valencia, you might see me there.
Just trust me on this, Zeitgeist is the coolest ******* thing in San Francisco.
That's saying a lot considering SF is the epicenter for cool.
Just kidding.

Kinda.

I second Foreign Cinema and the Ferry building. The Ferry is kind of like a permanent indoor farmers market

grunhauser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
5 days is a lot in San Francisco. I would get bored. .

I agree. And that's coming form someone who is here 365 days a year.
Thank god there are places like Asian Art Museum, De Young, SFMOMA, Zeitgeist, etc. The ocean helps to blow off bored a bit too. So does day tripping to Napa/Sonoma. And when that's all used up and gone, a short snowboarding may help to make it through another boring week.

For cheap eats, Pizzeria Delfina is a good stop and another boredom cure!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads