• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

S&D Overhaul

c-j-h

Reaction score
Hello all,

So i've just joined here in the hope that I can revamp my casual collection.

Basically, i'm hopeless at shopping, meaning I hate trawling the shops and websites. It's especially bad now that I've moved to London and not working near the shopping district.

Basically, I need some help keeping an eye on whats trending and also basically, coming up with a shopping list.

For example i've become pretty bland lately, wearing a lot of blue jeans and various coloured tops with many being blueee! :(

Any ideas for me guys - blank canvas here!

Basically, when i'm not working I like to be in some cool sneakers / jeans an a nice tee / polo. I would also like to experiment with some lightweight knits also.

Currently liking slim fit jeans at the moment.

Current brands I like/fit in my budget { Armani Jeans, 7 For All Mankind, Nudie, Hugo Boss (Black/Orange), Ralp Lauren Polos }. I have no problem spending money on shoes. Probably top out at about £250 but could do £300 if I loved the shoes. I find more expensive aren't really my style. That said, I think these or these would be cool for winter.

I'm not really into big labels to be honest. I've just gone for them over the years for a number of reasons.

Has any body gone with the personal shoppers in London around Oxford street. I don't think i'm quite at £2000 in Selfridges, I wonder would they allow £1000 - 1500 per session if I left the remainder with them two be used the next quarter.

Please help - I can't navigate the London shops and need new rags. Frustrated.

Thanks.

c-j-h

Reaction score
What I meant was just recommend anything you like. I'm not looking for one piece in particular.

Suggestions for a number of outfits would be cool :)

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Read the WAYWT thread. Find stuff you like. Search.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
+1 about the waywt thread. But for you specifically, based on what you said:

1. Ditch the polos.
2. Start learning about denim if you're into jeans. It's such a popular item that it's its own subculture. You can learn about all the Japanese brands that make top-notch, long lasting pairs, unusual designer cuts, and micro brands that offer a good value, as well as the differences in quality and properties of various types of fabric, how to create fades organically (if you're into that kind of thing), etc.
3. For casual shoes, you can go in one of two directions. Either stick with the sneakers, which can get well into the higher end and have some interesting designs (baller sneaker thread), or go with welted and resoleable boots/shoes. The resoleable option will look more upscale and last longer (probably also cost less in the long run), but you have a wider variety of designs with designer sneakers.
4. Look into pieces to layer with what you have.
5. Do a little looking around on the forum to see how people judge quality and what brands they like. None of the brands you mentioned are popular on the forum, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I think most will say you can do better for the price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads