Rye

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by samus, Apr 4, 2009.

1. farfisa23

farfisa23 Senior member

I love Rye and in a Manhattan or on the rocks with a dash of Peychaud's bitters and a twist of lemon. Perfect.

Here's what I like, in terms of price, they are all between 15-25 bucks, except for the Old Potrero 19th C which is like a million dollars but worth every penny.

For everyday, the Pikesville rye whiskey and Old Olverholt do the trick.

Old Potrero Straight Rye Whiskey
    Sazerac 6yr old
    Jim Beam Rye
    Rittenhouse
    Old Olverholt
    Pikesville rye whiskey

2. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Not even going to lie... I just drink Crown. Perhaps this makes me a philistine.

4. samus

samus Senior member

Not even going to lie... I just drink Crown. Perhaps this makes me a philistine.

Canadian whiskey is a different beast... see the Wikipedia page for example. Not that they don't make good booze up there, and I have to learn up on them too. My girlfriend's brother drinks CR exclusively.

5. whallyden

whallyden Senior member

x2 on the smooth Templeton -- although its difficult to come by -- even in the state where it's produced. It was priced very competitively 3-6 months ago (~$26), but growing popularity and scarcity have pushed the price too high (~$40) in my opinion. Its Wild Turkey for me now.

6. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Drinking Rittenhouse 100 right now. Not as good as Sazerac (and at almost half the price I get it) but pretty damn good.

But damn, it makes me miss the Sazerac.

7. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

I'm pleasantly surprised to see mention of Old Overholt. I did not think it was all that common these days (it used to be one of the largest spirit makers in the US).

The Van Winkle rye was pretty good when it came out about a decade ago, but apparently they bought the already aged casks from somewhere else. I don't know if I have had the one they distilled themselves though.

8. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I'm giving a few bottles of rye as gifts this year to as-yet-unpatriotic drinkers who aren't bourbon fans. Was thinking of my standard rye--Old Overholt--but was also considering Wild Turkey Rye or Sazerac. Prices are $15, $24, and $29 respectively. Thoughts? They don't seem to carry Rittenhouse.

9. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Senior member

I'm giving a few bottles of rye as gifts this year to as-yet-unpatriotic drinkers who aren't bourbon fans. Was thinking of my standard rye--Old Overholt--but was also considering Wild Turkey Rye or Sazerac. Prices are $15, $24, and $29 respectively. Thoughts? They don't seem to carry Rittenhouse.

I think the answer would depend on how these people are most likely to use the rye. If they're going to use them in cocktails (i.e. Manhattans), I'd say go with the Old Overholt or Wild Turkey (although I'm not a WT fan at all). If they're likely to sip it neat, I'd put my faith in the Sazerac.

Also, PM me for my address so I can get on your Christmas gift list.

10. ama

ama Senior member

I think the answer would depend on how these people are most likely to use the rye. If they're going to use them in cocktails (i.e. Manhattans), I'd say go with the Old Overholt or Wild Turkey (although I'm not a WT fan at all). If they're likely to sip it neat, I'd put my faith in the Sazerac.

Also, PM me for my address so I can get on your Christmas gift list.

I agree. If your intention is for these people to drink the rye neat I vote Sazerac (or Russell's Reserve or Templeton of you can find them in your area). For Manhattans Old Overholt is sufficient, but I'd still prefer one made with Sazerac.

11. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

Give them the Sazerac. But, if these are gifts, think about stepping it up to an 18 yr old bottle. Don't give Old Overholt.

12. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

Some lesser loved ryes

-Centennial Rye
    -Alberta Springs (100% rye)
    -Alberta Premium (100% rye)

The Centennial is awesome and is pretty cheap (if/when you're in Canada, never seen it on our side of the 49th).

Has anyone tried A.H. Hirsch or Black Maple Hills' rye?

13. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Thanks, guys. These aren't their only gifts, but I'll probably grab the Sazerac nevertheless.

14. Verno Inferno

Verno Inferno Well-Known Member

I love Rye and in a Manhattan or on the rocks with a dash of Peychaud's bitters and a twist of lemon. Perfect.

Here's what I like, in terms of price, they are all between 15-25 bucks, except for the Old Potrero 19th C which is like a million dollars but worth every penny.

For everyday, the Pikesville rye whiskey and Old Olverholt do the trick.

Old Potrero Straight Rye Whiskey
    Sazerac 6yr old
    Jim Beam Rye
    Rittenhouse
    Old Olverholt
    Pikesville rye whiskey

Isn't it weird how they manage to make old, used bandaid taste pretty good? I had Old Potrero for the first time last year and it blew me away. I think the bandaid flavor (or nose) is really strange but good. What do the smart whiskey people call that? Antiseptic? There's a term other than used bandaid, I'm sure...

15. nicad2000

nicad2000 Senior member

Thanks, guys. These aren't their only gifts, but I'll probably grab the Sazerac nevertheless.

Good call - Sazerac is definitely my favorite of the choices.