• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ryanair to introduce $30 London/NYC service

fg0d

Reaction score
edit: Wait, do any of their planes leave from NYC? I might be interested in travelling
biggrin.gif

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure yet, fg0d. We're not sure where they will be flying to
smile.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if they went to some of the metro-NYC area airports though, no way they are getting into Newark or JFK. LaGuardia has restrictions so they can't have transatlantic flights.

JB

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
smile.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if they went to some of the metro-NYC area airports though, no way they are getting into Newark or JFK. LaGuardia has restrictions so they can't have transatlantic flights.

JB

That exactly what I was thinking: who is willing to give them terminal space? Esp. at Airports which are currently running at full capacity like JFK and Newark.

Jon.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
nah, found it by accident when I was looking to book a Paris-Rome flight, clicked through all the booking stuff, and it was in there.

I ended up not going though. You take off pretty soon, right?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
nah, found it by accident when I was looking to book a Paris-Rome flight, clicked through all the booking stuff, and it was in there.

I ended up not going though. You take off pretty soon, right?

Yeah, but I'm prob not leaving Rome...maybe, maybe Pompeii for the day. I have yet to book a hotel...
confused.gif

Jon.

mussel

Reaction score
smile.gif

JB

Ryanair is going to opearate out of Islip MacArthur Airport on Long Island using 787, which is 1 hour & 15 min. train ride from Manhattan plus a short cab ride from train station to the airport. It's going to a pain ********** to get to from Manhattan and points west. JB, do you know if the airport can accommandate 787? Does the airport has any immigration & custom facilities for international flights? I think the airport is purely domestic at this point.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
using a 787? So they will not be starting anytime soon then. No idea when they ordered, but delivery slot for Ryan would have to be a ways off - EIS is late 2008, then its a matter of production capacity til they could get this service in the air. Plenty of time for the airport to upgrade I guess.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mussel,
Do you have a source? I'd like to have a sneek peak of where else they are going
smile.gif

As of right now Islip does not have any international customs facilities, they are purely domestic flights. The 787 will be in the area of 757/767 size.

The 757 requires 2,365m (approx 7759 ft) of runway to takeoff (maximum) , and 1,400m (approx 4593 ft) to land (maximum). The 767 needs 2,790m (approx 9051 ft) to takeoff (max) and 1,680m (approx 5511 ft) to land (max).
In turn, Islip's longest runway is 7006 ft long, so the 787 could no doubt land there, but it would most likely not be able to take off again. Unless Islip Airport lengthens their runway, it simply would not be possible. Also keep in mind that the FAA requires overrun areas at the end of the runway in case the aircraft cannot stop in time. The overrun area prevents the airplane from going onto streets, houses, etc. Also please note that Ryanair may end up going with Airbus and ordering the new A350
smile.gif

Again I would like to see the source of the info about Ryanair flying to Islip, I would think they would fly somewhere a bit closer to NYC but I may be mistaken.

Hope this explains a bit.
JB

mussel

Reaction score
Again I would like to see the source of the info about Ryanair flying to Islip, I would think they would fly somewhere a bit closer to NYC but I may be mistaken.

JB

Here you go:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...PpwMM&refer=uk

Other American destinations will include Baltimore (DC) and Providence (Boston). It will serve 5 or 6 American cities from 23 European airports, pretty ambitious.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would think they would fly somewhere a bit closer to NYC but I may be mistaken.

There's no room at the other airports, right? I'm sure that if Ryanair flys there, they will run a shuttle bus service. $20 from outside Penn Station to Islip each way. Adds to the cost, but is still reasonable. Some of their european airports are an hour away from the destination.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks mussel. I would have certainly expected Baltimore with the hub for Southwest Airlines being there, and maybe even Providence, but Islip comes as a surprise for me. As chorse said it wouldn't surprise me if the airline offered a shuttle bus from the airport to NYC.

JB

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit- wrong thread. Too many threads about low-cost airlines on the SF.

JB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads