1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ryanair to introduce $30 London/NYC service

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by von Rothbart, Apr 13, 2007.

1. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Ryanair is to introduce $30 between London & NYC, and that's round trip, cheaper than to ship a pair of EG across the pond. All thanks to "open sky" treaty just signed between US & EU which allows any EU airlines to fly anywhere in EU into US:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&type=business

2. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

I've also seen stuff about Ryanair flying to "secondary" destinations, the nearest to me being Baltimore. I don't really think anyone knows how the OS agreement will affect the respective airlines, the only problem may be with too much traffic at the airport resulting in passenger overloads and delays.

JB

3. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Peace of mind, safety, comfort, and customer service are all factors that keep me far, far away from Ryanair.

4. vc2000

vc2000 Senior member

I've heard company employees joke that they want to charge 0 for flights but make it up on everything else. Fees for luggage, booking, basically everything the North American flyer expects for free is going to be billed to the customer. Isn't checking a bag some large fee? I've never flown them but I thought it was either 70 dollars or 70 pounds for a bag. Please correct me if I am wrong.

5. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

I've heard company employees joke that they want to charge 0 for flights but make it up on everything else. Fees for luggage, booking, basically everything the North American flyer expects for free is going to be billed to the customer. Isn't checking a bag some large fee? I've never flown them but I thought it was either 70 dollars or 70 pounds for a bag. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Each checked bag costs 6 Euros and you pay 9 euros for every kg over the 15 kg allowance. (BA's allowance starts at 23 kg).

6. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

NOOOOOO
    NOOOOOO

I'll probably fly it one day, and then repeatedly, but I WON'T LIKE IT!

Which is exactly what O'Leary wants - dissatisfied customers with no reasonable alternatives.

7. Trilby

Trilby Senior member

Hard to imagine them offering many tickets at this price. Some of the key aspects of the low cost model don't work as well on long haul routes - e.g., having very short turnaround times to keep the planes productive in the air as much as possible. They also don't get the benefit of very high business/first fares providing a steady revenue flow.

That said, I wonder how low transatlantic fares could go and still run a profitable business. I'm guessing they still make a small profit when fares are really low over the winter, so the breakeven point is probably a little lower than that.

Also important to remember that taxes make up a hefty chunk of the current fares. Don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I expect a base fare of $30 NYC/LON prices out close to $200 after all the taxes are added.

8. edmorel

edmorel Senior member

At what point over the Atlantic do they push you out and you have to swim the rest of the way?

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

At what point over the Atlantic do they push you out and you have to swim the rest of the way?

LMAO. [​IMG]

Jon.

10. jett

jett Senior member

Uh - $30 from NYC to London?!?! That's cheaper than the shuttle service to the airport. That's an unbelievable price.

11. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

For 30 bucks they might as well fly you to the western coast of England, drop you off, and pick you up when you reach America.

JB

12. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

NOOOOOO NOOOOOO I'll probably fly it one day, and then repeatedly, but I WON'T LIKE IT! Which is exactly what O'Leary wants - dissatisfied customers with no reasonable alternatives.
    I agree, but you have to admit that this Steerage Airlines is working well for him...

13. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/ Seems they have some continental EU flights for just one pence if you book by tonite. Something fishy... suicidebomb4less.co.uk

14. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Seems they have some continental EU flights for just one pence if you book by tonite. Something fishy...

Not really. They do this all the time. But the free tickets are only on the least desirable flights. Typically they leave Stansted at something like 5 or 6 in the morning. The catch is that it's not possible to come from London via public transportation that early in the morning. You have to either spend the night sleeping in the airport, at a hotel nearby, or live closer than London.

15. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Not really. They do this all the time. But the free tickets are only on the least desirable flights. Typically they leave Stansted at something like 5 or 6 in the morning. The catch is that it's not possible to come from London via public transportation that early in the morning. You have to either spend the night sleeping in the airport, at a hotel nearby, or live closer than London.

If public transportation is not available, Ryanair usually provides their own buses, which is probably how they make money off these flights.

16. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

google maps -> New York, New York to London, England.

read step 24.

17. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

That's Ryanair's new plan of action, faustian [​IMG]

JB

18. Kopite

Kopite Senior member

Might just be worth it to watch a football match once a week or so. [​IMG]

19. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

One of the very few reasons I am ashamed to be Irish is Ryanair.

20. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

One of the very few reasons I am ashamed to be Irish is Ryanair.
    Have you ever flown it? Seriously, I don't get all this hate for RyanAir. So its customers sacrifice comfort and service for the sake of a cheap ticket. Why is this a problem? I've flown ~18 legs on RyanAir over the last four years, and every flight has been exactly what I was looking for--a cheap way to get somewhere new and leave more money in the wallet for actually being there. Every flight is packed, especially the ones to Poland and Latvia and those sorts of places. Unlike the major airlines, they operate in a competitive marketplace, with at least a dozen other low cost carriers. IMO, the more air travel can get rationalized and brought out of the stone age, the better for everyone. Ideally it would look just like train or bus travel, with the ability to walk up ten minutes before the flight and get on board.