• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ryan Air carry on bag

aglose

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some help here. I need a good carry on bag that is as close to the dimensions below as possible. I'll be going to Spain for study abroad and need a good weekender to take some clothes with me while I travel to other areas in Spain and a few other countries. Any help is appreciated.

Dimensions are 55cm x 40 cm x 20 cm. in inches it is roughly 21.65 x 15.74 x 7.87.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something else to be aware of with Ryanair cabin baggage allowances, it's 10KG maximum as well. As for any particular bags, I don't know, I had a smallish backpack last time I flew with them to Ireland.

aglose

Reaction score

Something else to be aware of with Ryanair cabin baggage allowances, it's 10KG maximum as well. As for any particular bags, I don't know, I had a smallish backpack last time I flew with them to Ireland.

Yeah so I need something fairly light as well. I might just use my Rummy bag from Mission workshop.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know if you already knew this about them, but Ryanair charges you extras for just about everything, meals, coffee, checked baggage, etc. Even 15 euro for your boarding pass, if you don't print it yourself or get it at the time of booking. The was even a rumour going round that Ryanair was going to put credit card readers on toilet doors on their planes.

Last edited:

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has been my standard carry on bag for years:

http://www.ebags.com/product/a-saks/expandable-26-expandable-suitcase/86274?productid=1125194

It's smallest dimensions fit your carry on requirement and can be expanded to double it's width. It weights almost nothing, can hold a lot of stuff and is very well constructed. It's been on many domestic and international flights with no signs of wear. Being made of soft nylon, it fits in every airline's carry on bag size tester. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

aglose

Reaction score

Don't know if you already knew this about them, but Ryanair charges you extras for just about everything, meals, coffee, checked baggage, etc. Even 15 euro for your boarding pass, if you don't print it yourself or get it at the time of booking. The was even a rumour going round that Ryanair was going to put credit card readers on toilet doors on their planes.

Haha the toilet door thing is funny. Yeah I've heard the rest of the rumors. Do they let you use your phone for a boarding pass? Like Southwest does in the U.S.?

aglose

Reaction score

This has been my standard carry on bag for years:

http://www.ebags.com/product/a-saks/expandable-26-expandable-suitcase/86274?productid=1125194

It's smallest dimensions fit your carry on requirement and can be expanded to double it's width. It weights almost nothing, can hold a lot of stuff and is very well constructed. It's been on many domestic and international flights with no signs of wear. Being made of soft nylon, it fits in every airline's carry on bag tester. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the post. I like that it fits lots of stuff and fits the carry on requirements, but it is definitely ugly. I will probably end up ordering one though since it works and is light weight.

Edit to ask: I saw the dimensions in the site are larger then the size I posted above. Does it get smaller then the sites dimensions?

Last edited:

aglose

Reaction score

aglose

Reaction score
Does anyone know how strict Ryanair is about their carry on? I recently discovered this which is extremely close to the Ryan air 55 cm X 40 cm X 20 cm.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might depend on the mood the check-in clerk is in or how hurried they are. It's probably 7 years since I last travelled with Ryanair. But I've had my cabin baggage spot-checked sometimes with other airlines. They have a certain sized basket, and if it doesn't fit in the basket, it's too big, plus they have weighed it as well. Sure they want to clear check-in lines as quickly as possible, I think If you look like you're struggling with it or it appears excessively bulky, they might be suspicious and will measure and weigh it.

I think that Chapman bag is perfectly suitable, looks like what they designed it for, it's a flattish shape and is rectangular, ideal for overhead lockers. As it's soft, I'd say be careful about overfilling it and and making it too rounded. Ryanair state 20cm as maximum depth, and this bag is 25cm, but it will squash down anyway, as long as you don't overfill it or have large solid items, but width and length are less than what Ryanair specifies.

Think the worse thing I've ever seen was Aeroflot passengers at Beijing, some were absolute jokers with what they thought they could have as cabin baggage. LOL

Last edited:

jamiemcp

Reaction score
I've flown a wee bit with Ryan air, mainly from the UK to Spain. Never checked a bag yet! I tend to use this bag http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/leather-race-bag/product/RBD01

They can be quite strict, it depends a lot on the mood of the gate staff, I sometimes wonder if they are on commission, and how full the flight is. They have taken my bag of me a couple of times at the gate and put it in the hold, but I have never had to pay.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
I have found the budget airlines are very strict about carry on size, as it gives them the excuse to stick your stuff in the hold and charge you through the nose for an extra checked bag.

When I am forced to use them I tend to take on an Ally Cappelino laptop rucksack that is big enough for a MacBook. Quite a plain piece of luggage but surprisingly capacious and sturdy, if they still make that model...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads