1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Russian clothing?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Dec 20, 2004.

1. demeis

demeis Distinguished Member

I was wondering if there are any good russian suit, shirt, or shoe makers? I haven't really heard anything about russian clothing except for the russian New & Lingwood shoes mentioned awhile back. Just curious as i'm really into russian culture. Also i'm going to be in St. Petersburg and Moscow for a few weeks in March are there any good clothing stores i should stop at?

thanks
    Nik

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

not so much in terms of stuff made there. Great furs and fur hats at very good prices. pretty good locally made automatic watches. you can get pocket flasks for vodka that are well made. amber jewlery, and a nice type of blue jasper. most of the well made clothing is imported, and very expensive.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

I don't know of any good Russian brands, as the market for higher end products seems to be entirely dominated by foreign labels. In fact, there have been a number of recent articles in the US and UK press about luxury goods makers and how their lines are being influenced by the Russian marketplace--the return of fur being one of the examples, as well as the existence of ultra-expensive items in their lines.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but there is very good porcelain in St. Petersburg (Lomonosov), which is fantastically cheap for the quality. They have a factory outlet on Nevsky Prospekt.

When you're in Moscow, it's worth going to GUM, the department store/mall off Red Square. The shopping isn't fantastic, but there's some variety. And if you're there, there is fast-food place on the third floor which has fantastic Russian food for amazing prices. Seriously. Highly recommended.

4. Fabienne

Fabienne Distinguished Member

Seraphin has a boutique in Moscow. But is he French or Russian...

5. andreyb

andreyb Active Member

demeis, Unfortunately, if you are looking for a GOOD ready-made suit/shirt/shoes, there aren't Russian brands worth mentioning. All high-quality clothing is imported. 90% of it from Italy. Moreover, I don't recommend this imported clothing, becuase there are very high percentage of faked goods (even in big, reliably looking shops). There are several Russian manufacturers, but all of them aim at low-end market. For suits, the most famous is "Bolshevichka" (www.bolshevichka.ru). The only kind of menswear worth looking for in Russia is fur. I'm not experienced in this area, but maybe "Soyuzmechtorg" (just opposite GUM) will be good for you if you are looking for such things. I second recommendation for Lomonosovskiy porcelain factory, although if you want top of the range, prices are not cheap. $300 for a small decorative box, $150 for a plate. For "ordinary" range, prices are cheap -- like $4 for a small sculpture. There are LFF's shops in Moscow -- one of them in "Berlinskiy Dom" on Petrovka street, just behind Bolshoy theater. Andrey

6. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

What does Bolshevichka mean in Russian? Are they Bolshevist suits???

7. demeis

demeis Distinguished Member

I think it has to do with "greater" or "bigger" shares the common root "bol-shoy" just different ending

8. andreyb

andreyb Active Member

Bolshevichka is a wife of bolshevick. I think that the original meaning is that while husband (bolshevick) fights for the revolution, his wife (bloshevichka) works in the factory, making clothing for him.

This name appeared in 1930s; now it remains purely for historical and brand-name recognition reasons.

Andrey